Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Panic At The Disco?

Options
  • 10-04-2008 1:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭

When people say they like a bit of everything, it hurts my mind a little bit. Like people who try to "out fact" in a discussion by saying "they say that(fill with random possibly flawed fact) but believe me when I say I have a very broad taste in music. I enjoy playing instrumental guitar music, Mattias Euklundh, Ron Thall, Vai, Satriani, Petrucci, Gilbert etc , I listen to and played in a death metal band for some time covering Machine Head, Sepultura, Nailbomb, Cryptopsy, Corpse, Slayer etc, but I love dance music and it's variations too, I like trance music for doing cardio or working out, I like techno, boards of canada,Aphex Twin, Squarepusher etc and I like to think I know a lot about the different sub genre's within the styles I've mentioned. I quite like music thats written well, regardless of the "scene" people attach to it, so I listen to everything with an open mind(generally!)

I quite enjoyed Panic! At The Disco's first album, regardless of the singles it had overplayed, I thought it was really well produced, oozing with originality and quality. I can honestly say I listened to it around the same amount as I did Cryptopsys- None So Vile. So I just got my hands on their long awaited Pretty.Odd.

Jesus....

What happened? It sounds like they were locked in a studio with an armful of beatles records and told to listen and learn. I hate it. There's no hooks that really catch on. The vocals are good but he doesn't sound expressive at all. :/ It's highly formulated and in parts sounds like soundtrack music for montage sections of a "build stuff" part of an american pie movie. Some of the effects are straight from the latter days of The Beatles/McCartney era. I don't know what to think, I wish it was all b-sides. I would have preferred more drum machines and catchy mid sections and less of the trumpets and rat-tat-tat all smiles stuff. I'm shocked this made it through the filters of their producers. The music is quality and really well written, and would have done really well, 20-30 years ago. It sounds like their dredging up something that just doesn't belong to them.

Any thoughts? No need for any "die emo" slagging, I'm sure I have your record collection here somewhere! :D Anyone actually enjoy it?

Just listened to the first track again which tells you not to worry, their still the same band.... -_-

The second track (the first single) is ok too, but it honestly just evaporates into a Lennon acid trip after that. So disappointed :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭kev_s88

ive only heard a few songs of Pretty Odd but i do agree with you yeah.and btw i am also a musical journeyman....:D

it just cant compare to the first album.it was a breath of fresh air, something that had never really been heard before and wit hthe new album they seem to be almost conforming to the norm and slipping into mediocrity.they're beginning to sound like every other band in the world

bring back the old style Panic! i say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭DILLIGAF

yeah man you only need to listen to a few tracks, it's all samey, very little in the way of big hooks which the debut was so renowned for! I threw it on again, but found that I just wasn't paying attention to it, it just played through and I didn't hear anything I didn't notice the first time!

I also got Crisis from Alexisonfire, these guys seem to have a lot going for them, a number of vocalists getting the melodic and aggressiveness coming at you from all sides. Really impressed with this and currently giving Watchout a listen through, you can see where they matured from watchout to crisis though, really drawing on their team of vocalists and still keeping those, almost, progressive moments going. Looking forward to their new album due out this year I gather! As for PATD, guess we'll have to wait and see! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Guest

DILLIGAF wrote: »
    I also got Crisis from Alexisonfire
    You need to check out the original Self-titled record. Best thing they ever did.

Advertisement