Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Real to offer £100 million for Ronaldo

• 10-04-2008 6:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3404583,00.html
    Spanish reports claim Real Madrid have decided to offer Manchester United a world-record £100million for Cristiano Ronaldo.

If there is truth in this - and who knows at this stage - it throws up a lot of interesting questions. Is Ronaldo worth that much money? Would he fit in at Madrid? Would Fergie want to cash in? Would the Glaziers want to cash in? Would Ronaldo want to move? Who could replace him?

I wouldnt be surprised if Madrid did go for him. They have said recently that they weren't going to be spending big money in the summer, but their squad is stagnant. He'd be a huge addition to the side, and would adapt well to La Liga. It's big money, but if anyone would spend such a sum, it would be Madrid.

I don't think there's any argument that he's the best player in the Premiership, perhaps the world, so would Man Utd sell him? Man Utd aren't short of attacking players as it is, and 100 million could go a long, long way to improving the whole squad. Ronaldo himself is probably close to irreplaceable, but they could pick up the likes of Diego, David Silva, Dani Alves and Huntelaar and probably still have change! I wouldnt be surprised if Fergie wanted to cash in, though I would be surprised if the Glaziers went above his head and sold him against his wishes.

What do the Man Utd fans on here think? Would you sell him if Madrid came calling with a huge offer like that?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Was reading about this earlier on one of the City forums. Some fans would be delighted to see the back of him but then again others don't want United to have a massive kitty with which to buy 4 or 5 top players.

I think he could go, mainly due to the fact that United are in such financial difficulty. I could see the Glaziers okay-ing this deal more so than anyone else then giving Fergie back less than half of the fee to replace him.

Plus there would also be the fact that United already have Nani in the squad and some might see him as having the potential to be a straight swap for Ronaldo.

It's very early for this sort of transfer speculation, especially considering very little usually happens before a big summer tournament. I can't see much being made of it until at least after the Euros, which is what, three months away?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Replace him??? With who, how can you replace 20 assists and 55 goals in two seasons from a winger?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

this is typical of what comes out of spain, talk of a huge transfer fee, unsettle the player and then actually offer very little. I can see talk of this deal hanging around for a while Ronaldo will think up what he wants to do then Real will offer 30-40m for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

*fingers crossed*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

Was I a United fan, I'd take 100 mill for him.

Since I'm a Liverpool fan, I'd even take 100 mill for Torres + Gerrard (not that they'd get it but you know what I mean).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

I honestly don't think United - or at any rate Alex Ferguson - would sell him for any price right now. Even for a ridiculous figure like £100m I don't see that United could improve their first team (obviously they could improve their squad) that much by selling Ronaldo. The real quality players that could improve the team - the likes of Fabregas, Essien, Drogba, Iniesta, Eto'o etc - simply aren't available. While the cash would certainly allow us to get in the likes of Huntelaar, Berbatov, maybe Diego or Alves, I don't think it would be worth it, considering they'd all have to adapt etc.

SAF has been building towards this team since his treble team dissapated. Now he's nearly finished it. Ronaldo is the cornerstone of that team. Fergie's plan seems to me to be to win the CL and maybe a few more leagues with this team and then retire on a high. The last thing he'd want to do would be to disrupt the whole thing by selling his main player. When SAF goes, then the Glazers can sell Ronaldo (probably still for £50m+) and start again. Right now, I think United want to keep him at all costs - and I can't see why Ronaldo would want to leave either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

NotWormBoy wrote: »
    Since I'm a Liverpool fan, I'd even take 100 mill for Torres + Gerrard (not that they'd get it but you know what I mean).

Would ya? I wouldnt....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

not going to happen, Real simply dont have that kind of money to spend during the summer.

Sue they had to get an emergency loan there recently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,703 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

United are not a selling club, never have been. If they sell Ronaldo it will be a first. Ronaldo makes money for United, huge amounts. Business analysis have predicted he will be more marketable than Tiger Woods, which isn't a bad prediction considering football is infinately larger than the golf market will ever be.

Madrid have elections every year, this is part of the political nonsense. If they do indeed have 100 million sterling to spend, they would be better off getting in 5 or 6 player who might be able to steady the ship.

Ronaldo is playing in the best league in the world with the best team in the world. A move to Madrid would be a step down, as long as Ferguson has a hole in is arse, that Portugese winger will be going nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I honestly don't think United - or at any rate Alex Ferguson - would sell him for any price right now. Even for a ridiculous figure like £100m I don't see that United could improve their first team (obviously they could improve their squad) that much by selling Ronaldo. The real quality players that could improve the team - the likes of Fabregas, Essien, Drogba, Iniesta, Eto'o etc - simply aren't available. While the cash would certainly allow us to get in the likes of Huntelaar, Berbatov, maybe Diego or Alves, I don't think it would be worth it, considering they'd all have to adapt etc.

SAF has been building towards this team since his treble team dissapated. Now he's nearly finished it. Ronaldo is the cornerstone of that team. Fergie's plan seems to me to be to win the CL and maybe a few more leagues with this team and then retire on a high. The last thing he'd want to do would be to disrupt the whole thing by selling his main player. When SAF goes, then the Glazers can sell Ronaldo (probably still for £50m+) and start again. Right now, I think United want to keep him at all costs - and I can't see why Ronaldo would want to leave either.

I agree.

Maybe in a few years, IF Man Utd are not winning leagues and competing for CL's, then dos Santos Aveiro may be off and Man Utd could cash in and 're-build'. But he is integral to the current team and is not for sale. Of course everything has a price and 100m is a lot of dough. 200m and they (owners) would probably have to cash in and over-rule Ferguson, although if they gave Ferguson 10m as a personal 'sweetener' he may take it. However, Ferguson is not that interested in money at this stage, bar a few horses of course! ;-)

100m, I'm not so sure. Anyway, I dont think that Real Madrid would actually pay 100m, would they. They are daft enough, I grant you that. Nothing will happen until the close season arrives.

Redspider

• Advertisement

Boggles wrote: »
    United are not a selling club, never have been. If they sell Ronaldo it will be a first. Ronaldo makes money for United, huge amounts. Business analysis have predicted he will be more marketable than Tiger Woods, which isn't a bad prediction considering football is infinately larger than the golf market will ever be.

Marketing didn't stop them selling Beckham to be fair. He was the biggest 'brand' goign and they still got rid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

i cant see this offer being made, or being accepted..... its the usual ****e that comes from madrids media arm every year, tbh im bored of it, if its not viera its van nistlerooy, if its not him its ronaldo, its transparent and underhanded. maybe he will be playing there next season but i thinks its a 3% chance scenario

i disagree with your post Xavi, united are not in "such financial difficulty", there is no evidence to suggest we are either, we are not and have never been a selling club, at least as long back as i remember. In thinking with my head we should sell for 100 million personally, crazy not to, one player isnt bigger then the team and the team would benefit immensly from the money theoretically. top class winger,holding midfielder,attacking midfielder,right back and striker could all be got, but, in my heart id be devastated to see the back of him. i think his potential has not yet been fully tapped and when he improves on some aspects of his game he could become the best ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Marketing didn't stop them selling Beckham to be fair. He was the biggest 'brand' goign and they still got rid.

are you having a laugh? he wasnt sold for money....or for footballing reasons, although the time was perfect to sell him in terms of footballing reasons tbh

There is a can worms.

I think if Beckham excrited blocks of gold, he was till gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

They took out a 125m loan last week.

What could United do with 100m ?

zAbbo wrote: »
    They took out a 125m loan last week.

What could United do with 100m ?

Pay the wage bill for 2 and a half years.

Typical they only need 100m for Ronaldo, what's the 25m for, shopping? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

not going to happen, Real simply dont have that kind of money to spend during the summer.

Sue they had to get an emergency loan there recently

You never know with Madrid and money, I heard before (not sure if its fact)
    that Real sold their training ground to Madrid City Council who loaned it back to them at a knock down price. They always manage to find the money from somewhere. Saying that 100mil is absolutely outrageous for any player where will the market stop if this happens ?

kryogen wrote: »
    are you having a laugh? he wasnt sold for money....or for footballing reasons, although the time was perfect to sell him in terms of footballing reasons tbh

I know the reasons why he was sold. My point is that marketing alone is not a good enough reason to keep a player i.e. Ronaldo. Footballing reasons yes, marketing no.

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    You never know with Madrid and money, I heard before (not sure if its fact)
    that Real sold their training ground to Madrid City Council who loaned it back to them at a knock down price. They always manage to find the money from somewhere. Saying that 100mil is absolutely outrageous for any player where will the market stop if this happens ?

Madrid get money back from the government/King of Spain AFAIK. Their debts are always sorted out.

Madrid get money back from the government/King of Spain AFAIK. Their debts are always sorted out.

Wasn't there a huge dept of 200 million plus on the stadium and it was forgave? Or did I just make that up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,430 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

wasn't the new load taken out to cover current issues (with future spending a small part of it- i remember hearing part of the reason for it was their income is down massively since they let Beckham go.

thats wat Balague was saying the other day alright Tauren.

I know the reasons why he was sold. My point is that marketing alone is not a good enough reason to keep a player i.e. Ronaldo. Footballing reasons yes, marketing no.

Not marketing alone, but it is a huge factor, all you have to do is count the Asians. Was talking to a lad that was in Korea last year watching a United match in a pub, they had Park on player cam for the whole match on a serperate screen, any time he touched the ball there was applause.

Not marketing alone, but it is a huge factor, all you have to do is count the Asians. Was talking to a lad that was in Korea last year watching a United match in a pub, they had Park on player cam for the whole match on a serperate screen, any time he touched the ball there was applause.

And it's the exact same for us with Sun Jihai. It's the only reason that joker gets near the first team. Thankfully his contract is up this summer so he should be moving on.

With United though Ronaldo took the torch from Beckham who took it from Cantona etc and I don't think they will have trouble finding the next in line. Possibly Nani.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Is Ronaldo worth that much money?

Possibly

Would he fit in at Madrid?

Not sure

Would Fergie want to cash in?

No!

Would the Glaziers want to cash in?

Possibly, although I'm sure he rakes in a fortune for the club anyway

Would Ronaldo want to move?

I don't see why... he's still a kid really and has more chance of glory with United's current team than Real. He will defo go to Spain IMO, but I don't think it will be soon. As PHB usually points out, I don't think he'll leave until after Fergie at least.

Who could replace him?

Nobody... not in here *points at heart* :(

v7per for life!!!

Man Utd aren't short of attacking players as it is, and 100 million could go a long, long way to improving the whole squad.

I dunno... Fergie's cultivating a nice squad at the moment. 100m would be fantastic, but is it really necessary? A good RB and an out and out striker are the major concerns currently. If we sell Ronaldo for those, how much of his contribution will we miss? I reckon we could get those players without selling our greatest asset (+ Rooney). We're top of the premiership and in the semis in the CL, and currently PL champions! We've got as close to a complete squad as we've had in a long time. I think it's overkill to splash out 100 million on the few positions we have left to perfect. We would miss Ronaldo too much, and probably be at much the same position as we currently are.

What do the Man Utd fans on here think? Would you sell him if Madrid came calling with a huge offer like that?

Not a chance... in a few years he'll still go for 100 million.

LEAVE RONALDO ALONE!!!!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

And it's the exact same for us with Sun Jihai. It's the only reason that joker gets near the first team. Thankfully his contract is up this summer so he should be moving on.

With United though Ronaldo took the torch from Beckham who took it from Cantona etc and I don't think they will have trouble finding the next in line. Possibly Nani.

if it goes on ability, Anderson would be the next in line i reckon.

Tauren wrote: »
    if it goes on ability, Anderson would be the next in line i reckon.

Nah he'll be a broken man once Xavi gets a hold of him! :p

But United in their recent history have never sold a player for profit, they may have achieved profit. But it has never been about money. It has always been for other reasons. So if they sell Ronaldo to Madrid while he is still performing at the level he is, it will be a new precedent.

Ronaldo will not fix Madrids problems anyway.

i don't think Madrid would be good for Ronaldo - i honestly think that if he wants to be the best, he should stay where he is. I think he'd lose focus in Madrid.

• Advertisement

Typical Madrid. Leak stories and talk about players that arent theres to try to unsettle them. This is what they do. Other clubs do it too but nowhere near the proportion that Madrid do it. They are the most arrogant club in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

seems very suspect... not a lot of sites carrying the story. Sky did though... :D

"apparently" madrid well willing to offer 80 million last summer for him and we turned it down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Not a chance Ronaldo will move unless he falls out with Fergie big time.

Seems like a PR stunt by the Madrid board to coax the Madrid fans into liking them by saying they'll get the big name players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

Ronaldo will not fix Madrids problems anyway.

Since when did the team's actual needs ever affect Real transfer policy? :p

£100million? Real don't appear to have it so it's most likely political shenanigans, as usual with Real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

quad_red wrote: »
    £100million? Real don't appear to have it

What may i ask are you basing that on?
    They spent £80m in 07 whats to stop them spending that much again?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Beerlao

they can stick their £100m up their culos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

As great as he is, if Real were actually dumb enough to make such a ludicrous bid (which I doubt) then United ought to take it and run.

No player is worth such a ridiculous amount of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Beerlao

As great as he is, if Real were actually dumb enough to make such a ludicrous bid (which I doubt) then United ought to take it and run.

No player is worth such a ridiculous amount of money.
    united don't need the money though. who are they gonna buy to replace him, and if the replacement doesn't work out to be a success, then what's the point? they'd have to spend a similar amount on someone like Messi. it would be a complete waste of time

If Nani has the same potential as Ronaldo did at the same age they would be fools to turn down any bid over 60m in my opinion.
    60m will buy 2 or 3 world class players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Madrid should not be allowed spend 100million on Ronaldo, regardless of if he wants to leave etc, they are supposed to be broke/in debt etc, where would the competitiveness/fairness in letting them spend this type of money on a player.

Re: Beckham, alot of people may have and be making money off him.......but i read somewhere few weeks ago that Eddie Irvine is still actually richer than him! Crazy stuff

Eddie is worth £153m
    Beckham is worth £87m
    Not a bad return for being a #2 driver, twice the wealth of the best known sports man on earth.
    Putting it in context Tiger Woods is estimated to be making £100m a year.

• Advertisement

Beerlao wrote: »
    united don't need the money though. who are they gonna buy to replace him, and if the replacement doesn't work out to be a success, then what's the point? they'd have to spend a similar amount on someone like Messi. it would be a complete waste of time

If I were to buy Messi I would insist on a full intensive tear him apart medical, anytime I sit down to watch Barc he is injured. I hope a talent like him is not Andertoned for his career.

IrishMike wrote: »
    Eddie is worth £153m
    Beckham is worth £87m
    Not a bad return for being a #2 driver, twice the wealth of the best known sports man on earth.
    Putting it in context Tiger Woods is estimated to be making £100m a year.
    Unreal, his house in Dalkey is better than anything iv ever seen on Cribs, absolutely savage.
    Fair play to him i guess, he done well.................im not jealous at all.

If I were to buy Messi I would insist on a full intensive tear him apart medical, anytime I sit down to watch Barc he is injured. I hope a talent like him is not Andertoned for his career.

Maybe him and Saha could share the intensive care unit at Man Utd!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Real are broke, it's a stupid story.

IMO Ronaldo is too good to sell. Guarnatees you a league challenge every year, he's 23. There's at least 7 more years of that. How much are Liverpool going to spend next season to become league challengers?

Also he is too marketable. People think that doesn't matter, but Madrid were prepared to pay twice as much to get Beckham.

Can't see Fergie selling him. Glaziers aren't in that much financial trouble. They just have a lot of debt, but they are servicing it effectively enough.

The question is PHB, would Real be able to unsettle him enough that he wants to leave and go to them....if he wants to leave, he will.

PHB wrote: »
    Real are broke, it's a stupid story.

IMO Ronaldo is too good to sell. Guarnatees you a league challenge every year, he's 23. There's at least 7 more years of that. How much are Liverpool going to spend next season to become league challengers?

Also he is too marketable. People think that doesn't matter, but Madrid were prepared to pay twice as much to get Beckham.

Can't see Fergie selling him. Glaziers aren't in that much financial trouble. They just have a lot of debt, but they are servicing it effectively enough.

Sell Ronaldo for 100m hand Sir Alex 50m and put 50m in the back pocket.
    No matter how much money you have 50m is 50m and as you
    said many a time about the Liverpool speculation, clubs are now a business.
    All that motivates people like the Glaziers is profit.
    And Real have been broke more time than you can shake a stick at,
    doesnt stop them spending money like its going out of fashion though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

He'll choose based on trophies. United is much much better right now, and he knows it. Madrid are still a mess, and Ronaldo will be at Untied until at least Fergie leaves.

Also, you couldn't buy somebody for 50 million to replace Ronaldos worth

IrishMike wrote: »
    Sell Ronaldo for 100m hand Sir Alex 50m and put 50m in the back pocket.
    No matter how much money you have 50m is 50m and as you
    said many a time about the Liverpool speculation, clubs are now a business.
    All that motivates people like the Glaziers is profit.
    And Real have been broke more time than you can shake a stick at,
    doesnt stop them spending money like its going out of fashion though.

Give Ferguson 50 million for himself or 50 million for transfers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Wasn't there a huge dept of 200 million plus on the stadium and it was forgave? Or did I just make that up?

Correct, the King of Spain wrote off a huge debt for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

PHB wrote: »
    He'll choose based on trophies. United is much much better right now, and he knows it. Madrid are still a mess, and Ronaldo will be at Untied until at least Fergie leaves.

How are Madrid a mess? Won the league last season and 7 points clear this season in the league. If that's a mess, I would love to be in a mess

• Advertisement
Advertisement