Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Real to offer £100 million for Ronaldo

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Have to say that IrishMike has some pretty tight posts in this thread. A few facts and some understanding of what you are talking about help enormously.

Boogles, until you spend some time in the States it is impossible to comprehend how big golf is over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Boggles wrote: »
    It is about potential, and potentially he can earn a $100+ million a year.

How? How could he earn that much? Even if he turned out to be literally twice as good as Maradona, where would he get that kind of money from?

Out of interest does anyone have any idea what he currently earns in a year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Have to say that IrishMike has some pretty tight posts in this thread. A few facts and some understanding of what you are talking about help enormously.

Boogles, until you spend some time in the States it is impossible to comprehend how big golf is over there.

Its like trying to explain to a child at times :pac:
    The fact that Ronaldo is hated by more fans than he is loved by means that
    he will never ever have the potential that woods has.
    I really have no clue how boggles keeps coming up with baseless retorts.
    Its irrelevant if Ronaldo can make himself the face of football.
    Its irrelevant if he can win 10 Champions leagues by himself.
    The fact is that as many people will hate him as will love him and for
    that reason a lot of marketing strategies will not be able to use him.
    Therefore he will NEVER have anywhere near Tigers potential, a vast amount
    of which he has already realised, to market products.

How? How could he earn that much? Even if he turned out to be literally twice as good as Maradona, where would he get that kind of money from?

Out of interest does anyone have any idea what he currently earns in a year?

Ronaldos wages are £6 a year.
    The telegraph say that Beckham makes up to £25m a year from endorsements
    Woods makes £40m a year from Nike alone if you include his new sponsership
    from Nike golfballs.

Soccer players and Tiger Woods are not even comparable :rolleyes:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2008/04/02/ufnpaylist102.xml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

IrishMike wrote: »
    Ronaldos wages are £6 a year.
    The telegraph say that Beckham makes up to £25m a year from endorsements
    Woods makes £40m a year from Nike alone if you include his new sponsership
    from Nike golfballs.

Soccer players and Tiger Woods are not even comparable :rolleyes:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2008/04/02/ufnpaylist102.xml

:eek: If that's the sort of money he's on no wonder he could be tempted by Madrid! :pac:

• Advertisement

Lol
    Thats £1.15 a week!
    Thems 3rd world wages!!!!
    ;)

Lol
    Thats £1.15 a week!
    Thems 3rd world wages!!!!
    ;)

£6 is actually £0.115 a week. You're on fire this mornin! :D

Dear God.
    /me heads off to find a rock to hide under :D:D
    Damn you Xavi6 and your mental maths skills!!!!

Dear God.
    /me heads off to find a rock to hide under :D:D
    Damn you Xavi6 and your mental maths skills!!!!

Phone calculator FTW :pac:

I dunno why we;re talkin about Tiger Woods tbh. We should be comparing him to Beckham or Zidane.

And he's hated by more fans in England. But the bitterest of rival fans admit he's the best right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,703 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

It really is your arrogance that lets you down, you could easily make your points without the attitude, you might get taken more seriously and you would certainly get more respect.

I never suggested he would be more marketable than Woods, it was "marketing experts", which I'm not and I'm pretty sure your not that said he could have the POTENTIAL.

You seem to have a problem with the word POTENTIAL. Nobody is saying he will or he is going to, but it is possible. You are saying he Definately won't.

Tiger Woods has been marketed. Ronaldo has not. The money in golf is dwarfed into insignificance when compared with the global football market. The Golf market is estimated at 60 million, football 3.5 Billion, that is more than half the planet.

So why is woods so rich when his market is only percieved at 60 million? Because he has transcended sport. He has transcended gender, he is global. He has been at the top for 3 years, but one thing we all can agree on when it comes to the markets, noone stays at the top forever.

Ronaldo is 23 years old. Playing at the biggest club in the world. He is re writing history every week - his talents and success have grown expotentially every year for the past 5 years. Can Ronaldo tick all of Woods boxes and be the next global superstar, I'd give him more than a fighting chance. To do so, he will have to break the mould, but I'm sure 10 years ago if you were asked if a half african american, half vietnamese Golfer would earn nearly $100 million dollars a year and become the most recognised sports star on the planet, you would be belly laughed at.

I dunno why we;re talkin about Tiger Woods tbh. We should be comparing him to Beckham or Zidane.

And he's hated by more fans in England. But the bitterest of rival fans admit he's the best right now.

The whole discussion was that he could be the most marketable sportsman
    on earth.
    Im saying there is no chance, because of the nature of football.
    Do you honestly ever see Ronaldo being the most marketable footballer in
    Italy or Spain if he is still playing for Man Utd?
    Soccer is a non entity in the US.
    So that leaves England, Portugal and Asia as the main markets where he
    could be the dominante sportsman but these are hardly the most
    lucrative markets on earth, or even the largest.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

I have been several times and am aware that golf is massively popular in the states. As far as I am aware it barely squeeks into the top 10 thou.

The arguement of which I'm finished, is global, not picking regions where something is popular and something is not.

on earth.

How can you 100% dismiss it? The arguement was outlined that he has more than enough criteria. Even if the chance is 0.001 %, that is still potential.

Have you not seen kids running around with Zidane or Ronaldiniho jerseys? Besides Woods isn't number one solely because he plays golf, he has transcended sport.

It is the fastest growing sport in America.

Well the very fact of him being Portugese opens up another continent. South America.

Besides
    The fact that he plays for a certain club and he is from a certain country has nothing to do with how marketable he can be.

I have no great indept knowledge into these global markets, but I will say you can never be surprised or never dismiss someone like Ronaldo. If Foreman can make more from flogging grills then he ever did throughout anything else he did, one thing is for sure, global markets and marketing is unpredictible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Guys, attack the posts and the points made in the posts. Not the posters.

Any more personal comments will result in me trying out the variety of colorful buttons under your usernames.

on earth.

If he were to lead United and Portugal to European success he could be huge. He's already highly coveted in Spain so he's marketable enough. Remember the price would have to include potential. IF he moved to Madrid he'd make them a massive amount of money just like Beckham did. Look how popular Beckham became playing for United.

Btw the Asian market is huge.

1)How huge could he be may i ask?
    On what basis would he be bigger than Messi or Kaka?
    Surely Messi and Kaka would have a bigger chance of being "huge" in S America?

2)To say soccer is the fastest growing sport in the US begs the question, growing
    from what initial level, easy to grow at 100% if its from a tiny base.

3)If woods has transcended sport ( which he did at 20) why hasnt Ronaldo
    come even close to doing this yet?
    He has 10 years left to make as much money as possible, woods still has 20 years.
    So for the duration of his career he will have to compete with Woods for the very
    biggest endorsements along with every other huge soccer player.

He has 10 years left to make as much money as possible, woods still has 20 years.
    So for the duration of his career he will have to compete with Woods for the very
    biggest endorsements along with every other huge soccer player.

Endorsements are signed for 3 or 5 years, not longer. I do know that if for some bizarre reason the likes of Nike could only endorse either Golf or Soccer, there would only be one winner.

I'm finished with this debate now, if you can't concede that there is potential there no matter how remote, there is no point flogging this horse.

I personally don't think Ronaldo will outearn Tiger, but I can't dismiss it completely. One thing I can say is Tiger won't be top forever, sooner or later someone will knock him off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I personally don't think Ronaldo will outearn Tiger, but I can't dismiss it completely. One thing I can say is Tiger won't be top forever, sooner or later someone will knock him off.

You cant dismiss completely that Mr Alan wont outearn Tiger. But its not likely, similar with Ronaldo.

One thing you can say is Tiger wont be top forever? but you seem to working on the basis that Ronaldo may well be top forever(or at least the remainder of his career)....Tiger is currently the undisputed best player in the world, and has been for ten years. At one point, he could've afforded to take a year out of golf and due to the total points he earned towards the world rankings, he still would have returned as the world number 1. Ronaldo on the other hand was not the best player in the world 12 months ago, and is a lot more likely to fall from grace than Tiger Woods by the very nature of sport. Look at Ronaldinho,Ronaldo,Figo,Henry etc.

Numerous people still dispute if Ronaldo is even the best player in the world-there are young players who are more than capable of stealing that mantle from him, Messi, Kaka, Pato(potential), Bojan(potential), Drogba, Torres, Rooney etc etc, the difference between Ronaldo and these players is not insurmountable. Whereas, Tiger is untouchable, everybody else in golf accepts that they are competing for number 2.

Wat does Ronaldo have that torres,drogba,Pato,Ronaldinho,Benzema,Rooney,Gerrard,Dos Santos,Bojan,Robinho etc dont have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

lol how could we all forget about the lucrative south american market boggles, your right..........:rolleyes:

anyways, ok, i have a way to solve this, A: tiger woods has been at the top for more then 3 years and B: ok Ronaldo has the potential to rival Woods in terms of marketing, but its not realistic potential, its less then a 5% chance, can we all agree on that??

and one more thing, im sure the golf market is worth more then 60 million to be fair......golf is generally aimed at the higher class markets and they spend alot more money, as has been pointed out before, if football boots will cost you 60 quid a good set of gold clubs could cost you a thousand.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

kryogen wrote: »
    and one more thing, im sure the golf market is worth more then 60 million to be fair.....

no doubt, not sure where that came from. I'm also having a hard time thinking of the nine sports that are supposedly more popular than Golf in the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

eZe^ wrote: »
    By the way, Graham Hunter was saying today that Madrid will definitely be putting in an offer that could go as high as 100 million. They will do whatever it takes for Ronaldo to be the face of this Madrid side. Whether Alex will part with him is a whole different kettle of fish, but the bid will be made according to Hunter.

Lost in translation a couple of pages back. :D

Lost in translation a couple of pages back. :D

Yea the thread really veered off the beaten track didnt it!

Can this be moved to the golf forum?

Can we stick to comparing Ronaldo to other footballers please?

Can we not compare Ronaldo to other footballers please?

Thats exactly what they are doing, not comparing him to other footballers, instead comparing him to Woods.

Thats exactly what they are doing, not comparing him to other footballers, instead comparing him to Woods.

LOL :pac::pac::pac:

Thanks, edited!!

Hahaha, no problem, I know what you were saying, the whole 'can we all not just get along' sentence. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Ronaldo says he's perfectly happy at United and the rumours frustrate him.

That should make him more marketable in San Francisco, and Greece! :D:D

• Advertisement

That should make him more marketable in San Francisco, and Greece! :D:D

And less marketable in all the Southern states in America.:pac:

The Golf market is estimated at 60 million,

What? Is that per year? Where did you get that ridiculous nugget?

As IrishMike said Tiger gets 40m a year from Nike! Does that only leave 20m?

What? Is that per year? Where did you get that ridiculous nugget?

As IrishMike said Tiger gets 40m a year from Nike! Does that only leave 20m?

Yeah the golf market worldwide is worth 60 million dollars. that leaves 20 million for everyone else.

I think you need to take some time out mate. :)

Well you said it mate, not me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

I think he was referring to the size of people playing/buying golf merchandise...

Well you said it mate, not me.

Hahaha, 60 million people!!

The Golf Market in your town is probably worth 60 million dollars.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the clarification. There were other on here confused also.

Thanks for the clarification. There were other on here confused also.

I don't think I can do anything about that. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Your missing the point of potential.

Yea the point of Potential is that we can pick random figures out of our asses and make it up as we go along. Pseudo-Science!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Just to piss everyone off with figures and marketing crap - didn't Nike give Michael Jordan 200m a year? He must have been earning them a nice packet to give him that.
    :rolleyes:

Just to piss everyone off with figures and marketing crap - didn't Nike give Michael Jordan 200m a year? He must have been earning them a nice packet to give him that.
    :rolleyes:

Im open to correction on this but ill say no they didnt :pac:
    Any link to backup this claim?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Im open to correction on this but ill say no they didnt :pac:
    Any link to backup this claim?

I read it somewhere years ago. This says he earns $80m from them. But more interesting Forbes estimates his own brand Jordan earns $500m a year. Not bad. Since it's distributed by Nike anyway. And he earns still the bulk of his money from Nike Swoosh as said in the article.
    From wikipedia
    Jordan's income from the endorsements is estimated to be several hundred million dollars. In addition, when Jordan's power at the ticket gates was at its highest point the Bulls regularly sold out every game they played in, whether home or away.[113] Due to this, Jordan set records in player salary by signing annual contracts worth in excess of $30 million US dollars per season.

An academic study found that Michael Jordan’s return to NBA resulted in an increase in the market capitalization of his client firms of over $1 billion.

It is reported that Juanita will receive a $168 million settlement, making it the largest celebrity divorce settlement in history on public record

Obviously earned a bob or two going by those figures...

Slight difference between 80m and 200m though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Also worth noting the difference between Michael Jordan and RONALDO!

maybe Ronaldo will star in the sequel to "Space Jam"?

Jeez I stopped into this thread again to see if ya's had stopped comparing Ronaldo to American basketballers and golfers, obviously not. The argument about whther or not he's more marketable than Tiger Woods wont come into Real Madrids or Man Uniteds thinking when deciding to bid for him/sell him so why are we even talking about it here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

do you really think there exists a thread longer than 2 pages on this forum that doesn't go waaaay beyond the point?! :p

Quality :D

Advertisement