Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I Want To Challenge VRT Calculations

Options
  • 10-04-2008 8:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I know this has been talked about here before but it really bugs me.

I'm just about to import from the UK but I have a serious issue with the legality of VRT calculations in this country and I want to challenge it.

The Vehicle Registration Office have quoted me approx €6,000 to register a car with a 'Open Market Selling Price' of €20,000. But this is wrong.

You see, if I walked into a dealer in Ireland today and bought the same car, I'd be paying €20,000 (Open Market Selling Price), a figure that included VRT. So why should I pay VRT on a figure that already includes VRT? The VRT payable on a car currently worth €20,000 in Ireland should actually stand at €4614.

€20,000/130 x 100 = €15,384 (Actual OMSP)
    30% of 15,384 = €4614

This shower of a government of ours gets enough money out of us, so why should I give them an €1,400 when I shouldn't have to.

This is surely illegal and I want to challenge it, somehow!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

you can try and challenge the calculation yourself, theres a form you can get in the office i believe, i'm not sure as i've never vrt'd a car myself, you might have to pay the calculation they have and then try to claim back, i wouldn't hold out much hope though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

Guys , lets call a spade a spade here......you know the vrt the vro are going to charge period. You have'nt a knats chance of significently changing their quote. The biggest problem is guys buying cars, then they are financially cornered when they have to cough up the vrt.

The one big thing the vro have a horn on is for extras....one can get a quote then they bring the car in and the vro guys see all the extras and yikes they jack up the price. example of this is a range rover HSE and a vogue say year 03. The extras on the vogue bring the vrt up something like 3k if I recall.

My advice re vrt is. Dont buy until you have more or less hammered out a deal with the vro. I brought in a special 20 yr old sports car recently. Previous to bringing her in, I sent them all the details. They gave me 3 quotes...concourse....v good...ok condition. They said a quote between the top two. Thats what I paid, so there were no suprises. I found the vro people excellent and efficent to deal with.....why because I had a ll my ducks lined up.

In summary

Do your home work and dont become one of those UK reg sellers that have to sell on carzone cause you never realised the vrt.

Be courtous to the vro people....the officer checking your car is a revenue...customs and vro officer all in one and they can make your life misery if you piss them off

Be tax complient....you will have to give your pps no. If you have a large outstanding tax bill, I'd give the vro office a wide bert....they'll have all the info on you.

Last thing if your bringing in that special motor, order a cherished reg though rosslare for 315 euro. Your going to be spending a couple of grand so it'll make little or no difference to the pain factor of vrt and it'll kind of diminsh that s/he's driving a swimmer!

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Phoole

Good point Bearcat. Might just shut up and say nothin!!!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Phoole wrote: »
    This shower of a government of ours
    Elected by the people - it's called democracy.

Phoole wrote:
    gets enough money out of us, so why should I give them an €1,400 when I shouldn't have to.
    The money belongs to the state (i.e. you and me) - not the Government.

If VRT was reduced or abolished, the revenue would have to be sourced elsewhere. Would you like to go back to the days of 65% income tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Phoole

If VRT was reduced or abolished, the revenue would have to be sourced elsewhere. Would you like to go back to the days of 65% income tax?
    Oh Christ! It's Brian Cowen in disguise!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

If VRT was reduced or abolished, the revenue would have to be sourced elsewhere.

And what's wrong with that? Why should motorists have to pay extra for hospitals, civil service pensions, etc? Why should everyone not pay equally?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

Can. Worms. Open.

Dude, I can you getting no sympathy here!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭ismynametoolong

Something else most people dont know is that the OMSP or Open Market Selling Price is a figure upon which VRT is calculated but this figure is declared by the distributor for new cars and already assumes the inclusion of VRT so VRT is calculated on a figure that already assumes a value for that figure ie double taxing if that makes any sense. ::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

The government treats the motorist like some form of soft target with all sorts of taxes: VRT, VAT, excise duty on fuel, stamp duty on insurance. Not forgetting good old car tax (which in my opinion they made a balls of with the new system - they should tax a car on a usage basis, not a potential usage basis (ok, I'll admit an agenda here - I have an '01 320i that sits outside my house 6 days a week, yet I fork out multiples of the car tax of my neighbour's 1.1 fiesta that spends most of every day going around the corner for a litre of milk and a loaf of bread)).

Car(transport)-related taxes should be ring-fenced for transport-related things (road building, maintenance etc) and not paying social welfare and building hospitals.

According to http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer/2008/02/25/story56092.asp, in 2007 the Government made €1.5 bn in VRT from 246,000 people last year. That's roughly 6k per person who bought a new car. If there were no VRT at all, the same revenue could be generated (assuming approx 2m tax payers) by an additional €750 per person. This would be a much fairer distribution of tax, especially if the money raised was going into the Government's general coffers.

I'll stop now, but VRT is a big bugbear with me and I could rant on more :D

Sorry for the derail, OP :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Yakuza wrote: »
    , the same revenue could be generated (assuming approx 2m tax payers) by an additional €750 per person. This would be a much fairer distribution of tax, especially if the money raised was going into the Government's general coffers.

I can't see that being a big vote-winner, telling a million or so non car buyers that their wages will be dipped to shush a different group who want to import a new audi/jag/merc/bmw twice a year but would rather their purchase only helped the UK government's bottom line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

The funny thing is that I've been looking at the VRT for a 2000-2001 e39 5 series, and the OMSP they list actually seems less than what I'd expect to pay over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

eoin_s wrote: »
    The funny thing is that I've been looking at the VRT for a 2000-2001 e39 5 series, and the OMSP they list actually seems less than what I'd expect to pay over here.

I woudl really like to know where they get their figures from, it seems that it can be way off either above or below what you'd expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,096 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

the figures change depending on the popularity of the car aswell

thats why some older cars that are popular, e30 bmws etc have nuts vrt

@EoinS with vrt the way it is, the likes of a 530i from the uk is a serious bargain

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Cyrus wrote: »
    @EoinS with vrt the way it is, the likes of a 530i from the uk is a serious bargain

Definitely - I've priced a couple of 528 and 530 models, and there's good value to be had there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,096 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

eoin_s wrote: »
    Definitely - I've priced a couple of 528 and 530 models, and there's good value to be had there.

yep :D love the 5 series sport

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/421737.htm
    http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/423050.htm
    http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/371792.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Phoole wrote: »
    The Vehicle Registration Office have quoted me approx €6,000 to register a car with a 'Open Market Selling Price' of €20,000. But this is wrong.

You see, if I walked into a dealer in Ireland today and bought the same car, I'd be paying €20,000 (Open Market Selling Price), a figure that included VRT. So why should I pay VRT on a figure that already includes VRT?

Thats exactly the way it works.

For both new and second-hand cars, the VRT rate is not how much you pay on top of the basic price, it's how much of the total bill will be called VRT and go to the revenue.

For imports, they estimate how much the total would be, loosely based on buying the same car here, then take their percentage out of that.

Advertisement