Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice Indian Take Away

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

We had similar experiences there over the last year or so ... up until then it was actually quite good, and we would drive down from Raheny to order there.

I wonder if there was a change of management/staff ... maybe quality was affected by this ? Something has certainly changed.

Anyhoo ... three bad'uns in a row was enough for me. Never again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I get food from The Golden Spice on Dorset St... have a menu here from them... I think it's gorgeous!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Not in the specified area, but if anyone is near Palmerstwown, Rasoi on Manor Road is the best around. Just delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

The Food Guru is pricey but well worth it.

http://www.just-eat.ie/restaurants-food-guru-sutton

(Huge portions Mairt)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

+1 for jamuna

Nicest indian restaurant in dublin and that ive ever been to. Food is always real fresh and well prepared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Camac Hibs wrote: »
    Go to Bombay Pantry in Ashtown pal best curry in the city :)

God I love Bombay Pantry! Im my house I get from the one in Rathmines and when I visit Mammy I get from the one in Marino. Yum! Loads of veggie options too - best saag paneer I've ever had! Oh, I'm getting hungry now...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Bombay Pantry is run by a bunch of scabs who cut costs wherever possible. If you want fresh food from them, do not order chicken tikka masala, butter chicken masala, any of the rices or naan breads. Only some of the actual curries are made fresh, the rest is reheated.

The food takes literally five minutes to put together and then it's left on heated racks, and you're told it'll take 20 minutes or whatever so they give the illusion that the whole lot is cooked fresh.

Their portions including chicken are often borderline pathetic too. Pity, the place was a lot different 2 years or so but has taken a dive now.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Jumbo156

Jamuna, €9.50 for 2 course lunch is Fantastic value incl Saturday.

Rb wrote: »
    Bombay Pantry is run by a bunch of scabs who cut costs wherever possible. If you want fresh food from them, do not order chicken tikka masala, butter chicken masala, any of the rices or naan breads. Only some of the actual curries are made fresh, the rest is reheated.

The food takes literally five minutes to put together and then it's left on heated racks, and you're told it'll take 20 minutes or whatever so they give the illusion that the whole lot is cooked fresh.

Their portions including chicken are often borderline pathetic too. Pity, the place was a lot different 2 years or so but has taken a dive now.

Strange, I've been going to the one in Rathmines for about 3 years now and I've never had a problem. If you order your food and wait there, because of the open plan lay out, you can see them all cooking your food fresh.

I'm a veggie though so I can't say I know about their chicken dishes but the veggie ones are always great.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Rb wrote: »

i have to say this isnt my experience of them.

the portion are bloody huge, i usually get two dinners out of it and have stop ordering starters, as i cant make it through the main course.

i have stood and watched them cook of my food but then again, i am a veggie, so cant comment on the meat dishes, but him in doors absolutley loves it.

anyway, they will continue to get my business, its the best indian in the Dublin 11,9,15 area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 biggerfamily

I ordered from the Ashtown branch of Bombay Pantry last night 5th Nov 09. Dublin has traditionally been served by a range of poor or average Indian take aways. Bombay Pantry has been good in the past and has developed a good reputation. I have eat from the Fairview branch and the Rathmines branch in the past and have enjoyed the experience.

This was the second time I used the Ashtown branch. Our first experience was poor but we put this down to a one-off and did not complain. However last nights awful meal compelled me to write this review to warn any potential customers and urge them not to eat from there.

The two main dishes we order were Beef Karahi (with tomatoes, green peppers, red onions, ginger,garlic and fresh green chillies) and Lamb Bhuna (with yoghurt and spices, braised with diced potatoes ginger juliennes, green chillies and garlic). As the menu states these should be be fundamentally different dishes. But the base sauce that provided was exactly same and both were so over-spiced that neither my wife and I could not eat them. I am part Indian and we have been to India several times. I do expect Irish Indian take-aways to be reflective of Indian food however I do expect a little respect to be shown to Irish customers who deserve and expect Indian food. However this food would not pass the test of any Indian, Pakistani or Bangladeshi.

The other starters and nan bread tasted like it had been cooked several days before, and just reheated, which in turn had over cooked the product. Finally we found two human hairs in one of the dishes. This was the final straw I called the Branch and complained. I got several apologies but no indication that the Bombay Pantry valued me as a regular customer and wanted to make amends.

Frankly I do not believe BP when they say 'We are dedicated to producing the best Indian food for our customers. Using the freshest ingredients, highly experienced native chefs and state of the art kitchens, our promise is 100% natural fresh food cooked to order.

It is not, well cooked, authentic or of any reasonable quality.

All in all I am so disappointed that I spent over 40 Euros on what I consider rubbish.

I'm confident in calling bullsh*t on this post.. Follow up on it HERE. - Makikomi

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I ordered from the Ashtown branch of Bombay Pantry last night 5th Nov 09. Dublin has traditionally been served by a range of poor or average Indian take aways.

Then dont order from them and if you get a bad one...COMPLAIN!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I have to agree about Bombay Pantry. We got take away once from Fairview and it was reheated crap. Colder in the middle. Disappointed after the raving reviews.
    I see Okra Green in Howth are doing takeaway for 10% off restaraunt menu. Still too pricey though.

Had the most amazing Butter Chicken in India Link a few months back. Unfortunately it wasn't the same the next 2 times.

Indie Spice is another good one in Swords. Best I've had recently, but it wasn't take away.

Food Guru in Baldoyle was ok when it started. Haven't been there in a while though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

dunno the name of it but there is a lovely one across the road from the beaumount house. i like it a lot.

or rupsha in drumcondra.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

I can vouch for Bombay To Go... great food. Nice staff, too. Love the delivery guy who practises his English pleasantries when he delivers stuff. Though it's been so long since I ordered he may have moved on from such things and become disgruntled :D

As for Jamuna, nice place, good food but last time I was there with teh ladyfriend there was a nice, huge, disgusting black hair in her sauce. Not nice. Never been back since...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Spice n Rice
    Tasty Hut
    Golden Spice.

All on Dorset St and all great. Spice n rice is best for meals. The other two are better for take-aways.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭celica1994

i dont care what anyone says about bombay pantry, the place should be shut down its so terrible, i was living up in royal canal park 2 years ago around when the place opened, i was really impressed on how the shows appearance looked, it looked really classy and clean so i thought id give it a go, first thing that hit me as odd was the fact that there was a fridge with a load of precooked currys in it, anyways, i decided to order a chicken tika masala, i think i had it in the fancy looking paper bags they give out in like 10 mins flat. anyways, got the curry home and it was horrible, it didnt even taste hot, just kinda felt like it was thrown back into a wok for 5 mins. i wouldnt waste my time or money on it again....

And India link in beaumont isnt much better, i had the exact same experience as the guy in the previous post about it, got a chicken tika masala from them, when i got it the thing was nearly cold, it didnt even taste , look or even resemble a masala, it was more like a really low grade curry sauce on it. even at that, the shop is filthy looking so you can imagine what theyre kitchens are like!

celica1994 wrote: »
    i dont care what anyone says about bombay pantry, the place should be shut down its so terrible

I still maintain that the one in Rathmines is one of the best Indian take-aways I've ever had. Anyway...
    And India link in beaumont isnt much better

They gave me food poisining on Chrismtas Eve this year. I could barely eat my Christmas dinner :( And it's pretty difficult for me to get food posioning since I'm a veggie and I rarely eat dairy products or eggs (i had neither on Christmas Eve). Booooooooo

i dont care what anyone says about bombay pantry, the place should be shut down its so terrible, i was living up in royal canal park 2 years ago around when the place opened, i was really impressed on how the shows appearance looked, it looked really classy and clean so i thought id give it a go, first thing that hit me as odd was the fact that there was a fridge with a load of precooked currys in it, anyways, i decided to order a chicken tika masala, i think i had it in the fancy looking paper bags they give out in like 10 mins flat. anyways, got the curry home and it was horrible, it didnt even taste hot, just kinda felt like it was thrown back into a wok for 5 mins. i wouldnt waste my time or money on it again....

It's a bit of and over reaction to say that because your dinner on one occasion wasn't your cup of tea and wasn't roasting hot, that the place should be shut down :pac:

Bombay Pantry is one of the best take aways around. The point of the fridge full of precooked dinners is so that you can take them home and heat them up whenever you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

It's a bit of and over reaction to say that because your dinner on one occasion wasn't your cup of tea and wasn't roasting hot, that the place should be shut down :pac:

Bombay Pantry is one of the best take aways around. The point of the fridge full of precooked dinners is so that you can take them home and heat them up whenever you like.

Food is good there. I think they actually have their meals frozen so you can buy them and reheat later.

• Advertisement

emmm, can i ask ya sumthing, your paying full price for a meal and your not even bothered weather the food is fully cooked or heated up?

emmm, can i ask ya sumthing, your paying full price for a meal and your not even bothered weather the food is fully cooked or heated up?

emm, that's not what I said :rolleyes:

I may not be quick to return. But I wouldn't be demanding that the place be shut down. As I said, total over reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

I ordered from the Ashtown branch of Bombay Pantry last night 5th Nov 09. Dublin has traditionally been served by a range of poor or average Indian take aways. Bombay Pantry has been good in the past and has developed a good reputation. I have eat from the Fairview branch and the Rathmines branch in the past and have enjoyed the experience.

This was the second time I used the Ashtown branch. Our first experience was poor but we put this down to a one-off and did not complain. However last nights awful meal compelled me to write this review to warn any potential customers and urge them not to eat from there.

The two main dishes we order were Beef Karahi (with tomatoes, green peppers, red onions, ginger,garlic and fresh green chillies) and Lamb Bhuna (with yoghurt and spices, braised with diced potatoes ginger juliennes, green chillies and garlic). As the menu states these should be be fundamentally different dishes. But the base sauce that provided was exactly same and both were so over-spiced that neither my wife and I could not eat them. I am part Indian and we have been to India several times. I do expect Irish Indian take-aways to be reflective of Indian food however I do expect a little respect to be shown to Irish customers who deserve and expect Indian food. However this food would not pass the test of any Indian, Pakistani or Bangladeshi.

The other starters and nan bread tasted like it had been cooked several days before, and just reheated, which in turn had over cooked the product. Finally we found two human hairs in one of the dishes. This was the final straw I called the Branch and complained. I got several apologies but no indication that the Bombay Pantry valued me as a regular customer and wanted to make amends.

Frankly I do not believe BP when they say 'We are dedicated to producing the best Indian food for our customers. Using the freshest ingredients, highly experienced native chefs and state of the art kitchens, our promise is 100% natural fresh food cooked to order.

It is not, well cooked, authentic or of any reasonable quality.

All in all I am so disappointed that I spent over 40 Euros on what I consider rubbish.

I suspect that what you write here are lies designed to discredit the excellent Bombay Pantry, for whatever reason. Your Boards account has just three posts (1, 2, 3), each of which is the same as this one that I've quoted, copied and pasted. This is very suspicious, and makes me suspect that you have an ulterior motive by posting this.

fatbhoy wrote: »
    I suspect that what you write here are lies designed to discredit the excellent Bombay Pantry, for whatever reason. Your Boards account has just three posts (1, 2, 3), each of which is the same as this one that I've quoted, copied and pasted. This is very suspicious, and makes me suspect that you have an ulterior motive by posting this.

be that as it may, bombay pantry is still a rubbish indian takeaway and i dont think it has much of a reputation to ruin lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

be that as it may, bombay pantry is still a rubbish indian takeaway and i dont think it has much of a reputation to ruin lol

Have you a better alternative?.

It had better be fantastic because Bombay Pantry is IMO absolutely superb.

ive tried a fair few indian takeaways around dublin, the only decent ones ive come across that actually resemble a proper indian meal would be "spice and rice" (used to be called golden spice) and curry club in kilbarrack, theyre the only ones ive tried that actually make an effort and deserve the moeny they charge for theyre takeaways

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

I think Bombay Pantry has gone downhill since it expanded to 7 branches and is now living off it's reputation. Find it very hit and miss these days.
    Also, it isn't cheap, with not much change from €20 for starter and mains with rice and a naan. The original standard from the Rathmines branch has been lost in the replication to other branches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

I've yet to taste an Indian take away that even remotely resembles a dish of the same name you can get in the UK... even Holyhead has FAR superior Indian take away compared to ANYWHERE in Ireland.

Noffles wrote: »
    I've yet to taste an Indian take away that even remotely resembles a dish of the same name you can get in the UK... even Holyhead has FAR superior Indian take away compared to ANYWHERE in Ireland.

try one of the ones ive listed above, i travel to birmingham sumtimes and im telling you the currys over there are about the same quality

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

try one of the ones ive listed above, i travel to birmingham sumtimes and im telling you the currys over there are about the same quality

They're bloody miles from me mate... I'll make do with Indiana in Gorey, they're nice blokes and it's a clean place but I'm sure they could do better but I just don't think they have the competition to do so!

Advertisement