Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food

Options
  • 10-04-2008 8:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi guys,

While preparing for the W200 this weekend I'll take part on the Clash 200 this Sunday, to check my fitness level.

Now, I was wondering what do you guys bring as food when you race and where do you get your food, if energy bars, cookies, fruit...

Also, if you get glucose tablets and any other kind of water mixture for fast recovering.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Usually have a banana or 2, couple of muesli bars - I like the Tesco Finest Blueberry/almond/something ones - they seem to have the highest calorific value of all the ones I can find. Also have a power gel for emergencies, but have only ever used 2 of them. 1 litre of water, and 1 litre of powerbar energy drink. Have started putting a pinch of salt and sugar in the water, as I found I was still cramping after 70odd KM

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Fig rolls!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Nutrigrain

-My problem is that I don't like nusts or fruit at all, so banana's and most museli bars are out for me, but Choc nutrigrain (hard to find now) at the rate of about 1 an hour are great :)

And water, I drink a fair amount of water

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

i drink Enervit Lemon or orange energy drink and for food power bars on a longer ride if a short spin i might bring with me 1 Nutri grain bar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

I think a little bag of trail mix is great to have but I never hear anyone mention it. Not sure why.

A mate insists religiously on Jaffa cakes for long periods of exertion, I'm not so into them myself. They come in bar form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I think a little bag of trail mix is great to have but I never hear anyone mention it. Not sure why.
    Probably cos it'd difficult to eat with 1 hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Sorry to drag up this old thread but I'm interested in hearing some more fuel ideas.

I'm trying to work out a good strategy for a long distance pretty high intensity cycles. So far I have been taking one 750ml water bottle with 80g of maltodextrin (SIS PSP22 mix to be exact) This gives me about 300kcals and I pop a few cereal bars in the back pocket (81kcal each). However this liquid will do for about 2hrs max and I have to refill. Generally this is just water to get me through the remaining 2hrs. At the end of the 4hrs I am running quite low on reserves. Now for a long cycle (7-8hrs) what do you do? How can you bring enough fuel for that length of a cycle

Any opinions or thoughts?

(BTW for any Lance Armstrong fans I did his "fitness test" cycle last Friday. Start at 10m and finish 13.5km later at 950m Needless to say it was tough ;) )

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Four cereal bars in the jersey pocket will usually do me for up to 130km. Usually pop into a shop if I need anything more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

To answer myself, I found a pretty good resource

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I did 120 km (Orwell Randonee+getting to the start and back) last weekend on two Nutrigrain bars, a Powerbar, and 1200 ml of water. Needless to say I was peckish at the end.

Note for the likes of the W200 there are (besides the official checkpoints) plenty of shops on the way where you can stock up on more food/drink. Besides the cereal bars (I think I ate 10) I had a ham sandwich half-way through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

Any kind of Carb drink is good Enervit is good i take the same in bars and gels and only use them for races or long distance events. For best effects only use these only on the day of the event as it will have best effect

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SACH Central

I bring 2 750ml bottles of Enervit orange. I also bring the 'oft forgotten raisins, I use 'Sun Maid Mini Snacks'. You can buy these in Superquinn. There '18 mini boxes' in a bag. There's 2 good mouthfulls in a box. I usually bring 4 with me, a banana and in case of emergency's a Mars bar.

Don't forget, what you eat before, is just as important as what you eat during. For that, It's hard to beat a pint or so of porridge...again with more raisins!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

A slice of Christmas cake is good as it has loads of fruit in it.......and sugary icing on top for that instant boost :pac::pac:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Shame it isn't Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ventoux

On long spins like the wicklow, I usually bring a couple of pre measured

high 5 powder in little plastic bags, and use them when i stop for refills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

Lately i have sopped eating as much as i used to on the bike. I just bring one banana and it does me up until about 80km any more a nutri grain bar is fine i have stopped buying the expensive powerbars.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

E@gle. wrote: »
    Lately i have sopped eating as much as i used to on the bike. I just bring one banana and it does me up until about 80km any more a nutri grain bar is fine i have stopped buying the expensive powerbars.

I agree - LBS charges two euro for the High 5 powerbars, bananas and fig rolls are much cheaper alternative.

Advertisement