Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opinions on a new car, SL500 vs GTi?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,096 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

wow :eek:

looks super

whats vrt like?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

The vrt calculator says 3100euro and the omsp is 10k. Could be wrong tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Beautiful machine. Those wheels look the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,096 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

so total cost to you of €16,500 say, is that expensive?

Cyrus wrote: »
    so total cost to you of €16,500 say, is that expensive?

I suppose it is for a '94 car but I think i'd be better off buying on condition rather than age. That one really is spotless.

10000/0.8 = 12500euro + 3100vrt = 15500euro + delivery. They're going for more than that i suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

ebayseller wrote:
    The button that controls the adjustable arm rest is broken

:eek::eek: Scrap!!

Absolutely beautiful car mate, showroom condition. Another great thing is the dealer looks to be as genuine as they come. I've never seen such a detailed car advertisement.

Best of luck with it if you buy, keep it straight for me for a few years!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I'm in a similar position my self, not sure what to do. The Sl 500 is a cool car It'd be different. A mechanic friend of mine is doing an overhaul on an early '90s one and he love's working on it so much he's tring to convince the owner to sell it to him, they're a special car.

I like this one, though but maybe not as a daily driver.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Mercedes-Benz/SL-500/AMG/764824/764824_20070809090842_1.jpg

That car has been for sale for god knows how long, at least a year, shocker. One of the nicest merc's around... I'd go for the sl all they way:D..

• Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Ferris wrote: »

Class! If you bought that one, you'd never want to sell it again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

What an unreal car! I did not really like something about all SL's I've seen before but that one is deadly. The alloys definitely are the perfect match.

Be alot of work to keep it like that though especially on Irish roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

bogmanfan wrote: »
    .. I just picked up a '99 Jaguar XK8. .

Good man! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

That SL looks amazing. If only everyone looked after cars like that.

Because it's a Merc from the days when German engineering really stood for something, and it is one of the last of the comprehensively over engineered Mercs you can be sure that that car is a complete peach, though I'd always want an independent inspection and the HPI check for absolute peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

That cars an absolute beauty.
    Make sure you get it well checked out though, one thing with is when they're is a Star on the bonnet the bills get bigger!

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

Get the merc.

You can always get a GTI, you may not ever be able to get a merc again (meaning that if you have to go back to driving a longer distance etc).

BTW did I mention that I've got one... an '89 SL500, which will be the same model as the one you'd be looking at (and not the one on the photo which was phased out in '89).

You'll be amazed at the power and torque. Just be careful you don't react everytime somebody in a 1.4 Corsa tries to race at the lights, because that's a fastest way to loose your licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Here's another mint. This one's very special...AMG

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/158324.htm

Oh and while searching for more here's one of the ugliest merc i've ever seen...
    http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/271705.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

oh, forget the GTI, buy.........anything else !!

Personally, I think you should get a 968. I know a guy with two ;)

and selling .......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Stop pimping there, galwaytt ;)

Anyway the OP clearly needs a V8. Not two four pots :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

The Road Tax for this vehicle is approximately £200 for 12 months or £105 for six;

depressing, :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Opel/Speedster/2.0-Turbo/160340/

One of these would be great crack, if your looking for something different.

quarryman wrote: »
    depressing, :(

I'll depress you a bit more. In France, there is no road tax ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

unkel wrote: »
    Anyway the OP clearly needs a V8. Not two four pots :p

Indeed,...... 2 x 4 = 8 :D

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Chergar

I think going for a golf GTI would be something you would always be happy with, like it would be hard to regret it really, but i guess what you need to ask yourself is if you pulled up at the traffic lights and look across to see a sl500 sittin beside, you would have regret for not buying that car. I think sitting in a golf you would, no matter how fast it is. i dont think you would say the same sitting in your sl500 and a kid in his gti pulls up beside you, i reckon you'd simply say, nice, and then just cruise off.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭xt40

Chergar wrote: »
    you'd simply say, nice, and then just cruise off.
    i doubt you would even notice it.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Opel/Speedster/2.0-Turbo/160340/

One of these would be great crack, if your looking for something different.

I've been in one of those too! They're great craic once you manage to get in through the door and over the sill. Im 6'3" so it'd be a pain to live with every day. I hearly had to take the roof off to get into the thing.

Advertisement