Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fixed gear puncture

Options
  • 10-04-2008 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, hoping someone can help me out. Firstly I'm not as avid a cyclist as some of the people here so I mightn't be as familiar with some of the technicalities, anyhow here I go.

Got my first fixed gear last week (bianchi pista) and took it in to work for first time yesterday, all fine, after work came down to bike and there is a puncture in the rear. (Did a search for reviews on the tyres–conti ultrasports–and seems they actually ATTRACT punctures)

My questions are twofold:
    1: How do I go about replacing the rear wheel with regard to chain tension, can this be done by look/feel?
    2: Anyone suggest better tyres also, I can get the armadillos in cycleways, but does anywhere stock the conti gators, or any other decent suggestions? I'm only a commuting/recreational cyclist so I doubt I'd notice difference in speed etc. of the above tyres

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

You can adjust tension by look and feel indeed. You need your chain good and tight, so pull back your rear axle when you're tightening the nuts up and you should get a decent tension. You only really want an inch or so of play in the chain. If your pedals can move alot when you're holding the rear wheel, you need to start again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

cmyk wrote: »
    My questions are twofold:
    1: How do I go about replacing the rear wheel with regard to chain tension, can this be done by look/feel?
    2: Anyone suggest better tyres also, I can get the armadillos in cycleways, but does anywhere stock the conti gators, or any other decent suggestions? I'm only a commuting/recreational cyclist so I doubt I'd notice difference in speed etc. of the above tyres

Thanks in advance

1: Yep, you can easily tell by feel, just see the tension as you take it off, and replicate it when you go back on, it's not all that imperative. Only thing I'd say to watch out for is that the chain is as straight as possible.
    2: The armadillos are great tyres, had 'em on my old bike, would say to just go for them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Here are some good instructions on setting the rear wheel:
    http://www.63xc.com/willm/wheelset.htm

If you're just patching the tube you don't need to take the wheel off at all.

I find Continental Ultra Gatorskins pretty good tyres for the city - only a couple of punctures and those were from a nail and a massive shard of glass. Whatever tyres you're using, check them every week for glass and you'll avoid a lot of problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

Ive used both gators and armadillos, both brillant, just invest in a foot pump so that you get the right pressure in the tyres, most punctures are caused from lack of pressure, tyres need to be at approx 100psi and it will still feel comfortable to ride, i havent had punctures on either tyres in over 2 years and commute regular.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭cmyk

Thanks guys, will lash ahead with the armadillos so.

With regard to the chain, I was just a bit worried as I had heard that too tight and it'll bind, too loose and it'll have disastrous consequences.

Link makes it sound easy, would I be right in saying because its a track bike with horizontal dropouts it should be easier to keep the wheel/chain straight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

cmyk wrote: »

With regard to the chain, I was just a bit worried as I had heard that too tight and it'll bind, too loose and it'll have disastrous consequences.

Look and feel will guide you right, don't fret about it too much. I'm not especially technically savvy or sure handed, but I find adjusting the tension very managable. Have two spanners, bit of play either side as you pull the wheel out.

And can I just say how incredibly jealous I am that you own a Bianci Pista? They are jaw droppingly beautiful. You lucky sod!

Advertisement