Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Adequate hand washing facilities should be made law in all service stations

Options
  • 10-04-2008 9:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

I pulled into a Singland Motors service station on the Dublin road in Limerick, after filling my tank up with diesel and going to pay the cashier my hands reeked of diesel from the pump. I asked the attendant could I wash my hands, I was told there was no facilities he then offered me a few papers and a bottle of cold water direct from the tap. I then asked for soap which I was told again there was none.

I think under health and safety regulations all self service stations by law should provide a basin with warm water and soap particularly if these same places are dealing in fresh sandwiches and food etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I agree with this.

Whenever filling up with diesel I *always* get a tissue and cover the handle with it - usually does the trick. If no tissues available I pull out the gloves from the boot... I may look like a tool but it means I don't have slimy, smelly hands that will then go onto the steering wheel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Did they have disposable gloves available? Did you even check before getting your hands dirty?

I carry a box of gloves in the boot for this purpose - at 10c each, it's a better option in my books than putting up with stinking hands....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Personally, I dont aim the petrol on my hands. Its expensive enough it going where i want it.

Do ye guys not realise how busy service stations are? I used to work opposite one, and i seen a miserable old b!tch of a customer in there and demanding to speak to a manager. When he came out, she mentioned how the toilets were a disgrace etc and they should be ashamed.

Luckily, the manager was a proper geezer. He replies "Would you ever fukc off ya miserable ****. Do you realise how busy this place is? If you have a problem, go the **** elsewhere"

Not entirely politically correct, but nonetheless i chuckled loudly myself and thought "good on ya".

Yes i know she had a point, but its how you make it that matters, and she came across as an arrogant bitch who probably makes a living from giving out to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Personally, I dont aim the petrol on my hands. Its expensive enough it going where i want it
    You should read the opening post before making silly comments! He's referring to diesel. Diesel pumps frequently have diesel on the handle. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Personally, I dont aim the petrol on my hands. Its expensive enough it going where i want it.

Do ye guys not realise how busy service stations are? I used to work opposite one, and i seen a miserable old b!tch of a customer in there and demanding to speak to a manager. When he came out, she mentioned how the toilets were a disgrace etc and they should be ashamed.

Luckily, the manager was a proper geezer. He replies "Would you ever fukc off ya miserable ****. Do you realise how busy this place is? If you have a problem, go the **** elsewhere"

Not entirely politically correct, but nonetheless i chuckled loudly myself and thought "good on ya".

Yes i know she had a point, but its how you make it that matters, and she came across as an arrogant bitch who probably makes a living from giving out to people.

Post FAIL

Read the OP's post properly ffs! I've never gotten petrol on my hands, whatever the feck it is about diesel it does always be on the handle, but be because it doesn't evaporate (sp?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

that's weird!!!

I was just thinking the same thing myself this morning. I've been driving a petrol car for 8 years now and I just changed over to diesel on friday last.
    Never experienced this with a petrol pump but this morning when getting Diesel the pump was covered in diesel. I ended up wiping my hands with napkins from the deli before paying.
    Still had to wash my hands when I got to work to get rid of the smell though.

@Gil_Dub: where do you get the gloves?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

I buy a box of medical examination gloves from my local chemist/first-aid shop, but I've seen the same kind of thing in woodies and halfords. 100 per box and can be had for about €10 in most places.... Just as handy for putting on the spare wheel, checking oil and that sort of thing too.

Gil

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭the magician

+1 for better handwash facilities. Diesel is a pretty nasty substance to be gettin on your hands though, the gloves arent a bad idea at all, I think Aldi/lidl usually have those surgical type gloves(although get ones that are powder free as i know a lot of people that the powder actually irritates they're skin.(myself included)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭veryangryman

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Post FAIL

Read the OP's post properly ffs! I've never gotten petrol on my hands, whatever the feck it is about diesel it does always be on the handle, but be because it doesn't evaporate (sp?)

"Post fail"? Is this a test or something? :rolleyes: Granted i am not a diesel driver - nonethteless i stand by my point about people moaning that way

Advertisement