Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to Clean my Engine??

Options
  • 10-04-2008 9:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Hi Everyone,

I have a 04 BMW 320D. I bought it last year and it was immaculate. It still is except for under the bonnet, the inside of the wings and the top of the engine. it looks scruffy when you lift the bonnet and I want it in tip top shape as Im thinking of selling it. Is it safe to power wash it?? If not any suggestions? Thanks in advance! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

my suggestion: Wet cloth and elbow grease!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Don't power wash it! You might as well take a hammer to it!

Steam cleaner if you must.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

I wouldn't buy a car with a clean engine, some dodgy sellers clean an engine to disguise coolant/air/oil leaks. You want to see some honest to goodness grime in there, you don't have to eat your dinner off it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 kjk1981

I think it will look better cleaned. It was that way when i got it. If there are any leaks Im sure any potential buyers will check it out thoroughly themselves or by a mechanic. I may just use a cloth and elbow grease as suggested! Thanks Guys! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭the magician

Get some degreaser, should be able to get it in your local motor factors or Halfords, don't get anything too strong as you don't want something that will attack rubber or seals, spray it on the engine and leave prob. for 10-15 min. then wash off with a garden hose.

If there are any stubborn bits a bit of elbow grease will do. Don't steam clean or power wash it the electrics and seals wont like it too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Take the cover off the engine (6/7 screws) and wash that with warm soapy water. I do it the odd time myself

The engine I just leave alone. It's a bit dusty but no oil/crud so doesn't bother me. Plenty of electronics under that 320d bonnet so personally I wouldn't go puttin water etc. down there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

steam cleaning is the way to go , just cover the battery and your away :)

a mist is useful at half power....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Ferris wrote: »
    I wouldn't buy a car with a clean engine, some dodgy sellers clean an engine to disguise coolant/air/oil leaks. You want to see some honest to goodness grime in there, you don't have to eat your dinner off it.

+ 1

A sparkling clean engine on a used car rings all sorts of alarm bells.

By all means clean any manky/ dusty / dirty sheet metal that you can get at, but leave the engine alone.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I wouldn't trust a sparkling clean engine if the rest of the car was in a mess, but if it was obvious that the car was detailed frequently and this included the engine, I wouldn't have many reservations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 kjk1981

Thanks guys. Yeah the car was absolutely immaculate when I got it last year. Its still immaculate but under the bonnet isn't anymore. I might just clean it as best I can with a cloth. If that doesn't work I'll steam it. Where would I get a steam cleaner???:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Leave it honest, explain it to a buyer, they'd appreciate it.

Alternators, Starters etc don't appreciate any kind of liquid...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,309 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Last car I bought was immaculate all around. Lifted the bonnet to see a genuine engine, with all the dirt you would expect. Told the seller I was very glad to see that. I agree with the other posters who said they would be suspicious of a gleaming engine.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement