Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

alfa 156 1.9 jtd sportswagon versus 306 hdi d turbo

Options
  • 10-04-2008 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭

hey hoes it going
    im moving to dublin there in a few weeks and i need a good diesel
    i currently have a 98 306 d turbo and find it a fantastic car, but shes getting tired so i need to change

i need a car to have the following:

superb handling and drivability
    economy
    practicality - pull the odd trailer/carry bicycles/use it as a van from time to time
    reliability

the last thing i want to spend my money on is maintenance, bar of course the recommended service intervals and every day maintenance attached with owning any car

i know u might say that the 306 and 156 are two of the last cars to choose when considering reliability, but from my own experience, as well as friends and random 306 owners i have asked, of the 306, i know that they are a reliable machine.

but i test drove a 156 1.9 jtd sportswagon recently, and i thought it was the best driving experience in my life to date.
    i have driven all sorts of cars, so its not like im blinkered to the pug only!
    but i need to know what they are like to own, what kind of maintenance and repair bills should i expect to encounter?

when i move to dublin my next car will only be doing long journeys, as i have a scooter for the short trips/clogged up in traffic trips.

please, id really like to hear from 156 owners on this one, or other 306 ph3 hdi owners also!!

thanks for your time,
    Ed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

The 1.9 Jtd is one of the best diesel engines of its generation. Probably the most reliable engine in a 156 too.
    I've only driven petrols; I've had a 1.8 and a 2.0 and put over 150,000 miles on them.
    Most worrying problems (and expensive maintenance) in these cars are limited to petrols. Otherwise they eat suspension bushes. Squeeky front suspension over speedbumps is a giveaway. People will tell of electrical faults and rust - they're talking about cars from 20 years ago; I've never had either.
    Get one with a decent service history and you're on a winner.
    Lots more info, a good forum and buyers guide can be had at alfa156.net

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭eurotrotter

thanks for the help.
    gonna register with that site.
    wat u driving at the moment?
    u still driving alfa?
    is there any good alfa dedicated mechanics in dublin?
    there a peugeot/citroen mechanic down here in cork and he brilliant, know them blind folded, the main dealers, everyones heard the stories bout all those cowboys, some shower!
    cjt156 wrote: »
    The 1.9 Jtd is one of the best diesel engines of its generation. Probably the most reliable engine in a 156 too.
    I've only driven petrols; I've had a 1.8 and a 2.0 and put over 150,000 miles on them.
    Most worrying problems (and expensive maintenance) in these cars are limited to petrols. Otherwise they eat suspension bushes. Squeeky front suspension over speedbumps is a giveaway. People will tell of electrical faults and rust - they're talking about cars from 20 years ago; I've never had either.
    Get one with a decent service history and you're on a winner.
    Lots more info, a good forum and buyers guide can be had at alfa156.net

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Yep, still in the 2.0L; pleasure to drive every day. Gotta keep an eye on the fluids & change timing belts and bushes frequently. But its a great car for the price. Don't want to jinx it now by saying how good its been to me!:D

Gerry Campbell in TI Autos in Smithfield is regarded as the Alfa guru in Dublin. Anyone who runs an older Alfa swears by him. Alasta Autos in South Lotts are well regarded too.
    If you're inclined to do work yourself there are some good supplier links on the site I mentioned. Keep well clear of (most) Alfa main dealers. (Alasta are a main dealer but had built up a good rep as service agents before they got the franchise a couple of years ago.)

Best of luck - see you over on Alfa156.net

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

When i crashed my 94 306 D Turbo last year I had same questions...

And all this reliability, enconomy, safety, family thinking went out the window after a 156 2.4 JTD test drive. I just loved the car and bought it. Mind you, I test drove Pug 307 HDI, Audi A4 TDI and other sensible diesel cars, yet I didn't "want" any of them... For me it was a gut feeling decision, not with my head.

Agreed, the front suspension is a pain, and without TLC Alfa's might act up. But if you are prepared to look after your car, Alfa is the way to go.

Edit: I read lots of test reports and what cars are reliable or not... Came to conclusion that I might buy the most reliable car (as per statistic) but the one I bought is a lemon. Or in fact the other way round - unreliable car by statistics , but never breaks down for me.. you know what I did.

Advertisement