Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I move to Boston?

Options
  • 10-04-2008 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭

Ok well I think I'm coming to the biggest crossroads in my life yet, Im in my second attempt of getting a degree and I'm failing miserably again through nobodys fault buy my own.

I have a few very good friends out in Boston working away, I speak to one regularly who is just working in a pub and the rest are on sites etc.

I could barely sleep last night thinking about moving over there and starting again, being independent blah blah blah. I don't see it as sacrificing my education as my crippling dependencies may have already done that a long time ago.

Now I'm just generally worried about various issues that could arise with going out to there to work. Ideally I'd only want to go for 12-15 months, get work and see what happens from there.

I'm not really close to my family anymore and I've already talked to my GF of 16 months about it (whose in her 3rd year of her degree so she'l not be going anywhere) and she understands why I want to go.

Now im turning to all the boardsies and asking for priceless advice and guidance!

In short, I'd have a place to stay and get my feet on the ground, maybe even have a job lined up. I just need to know what It feels like to be an illegal over there etc.

ALL advice greatly appreciated

Ta.

Should I stay or should I go? 3 votes

Stay
    0% 0 votes
    Go
    100% 3 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

We can't give you advice about living and working illegally over there. We can advise you about visas and the like.

Warning: Anybody seen giving advice about living/working illegaly will be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

Well that unfortunatley renders this thread dead

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Op one piece of advice i will give you is.. If you go it will be a long time before you get to come home once you stay past the 90 day holiday visa period.

While on holiday in Y last year got chatting an irish girl in a bar, she had not been home in 3 years as most likely if she tries to enter the USA again she will be refused. She has missed birthdays, weddings etc.

A brother of a girl I work with has been there 10 years and not come home..

Thanks chopter

-To Faith, I have no knowledge on Visas and the like but am I right in saying the max time I get on a Visa is 90 days, there isnt a year long thing nah?

I woke up this morning thinking boards would really guide me lol :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

armour87

I don't understand why anyone would want to work illegally in the US. If you get hurt on a building site (and where, in fairness, are you more likely to get hurt?) there are HUGE problems with your medical treatment if you're an illegal.

It's not a new start. It's a period of time you'll spend in limbo.

I have a family friend who's worked illegally in the US - working as a stuntman, among other things - and when his holiday visa expired he stayed on working for people who promised to sponsor him. When it came to the crunch all the sponsorhips never came through, and I hear they even took his savings from him when they expelled him from the country. (True or not, I don't know, but he had $50K in the bank and maintains the authorities confiscated it when they deported him.)

Also, just a point - people who want to work abroad illegally give me a pain in my face for one reason - I've spent months and months trying to sort out visas for Australia, and spent a LOT of money, and I still have a LONG way to go (and I'm on a spouse visa, not even a work visa) and it's a complete pain in the arse. And why's it so complicated? TO make it harder because of the bunch of bastards who had to go and do it illegally.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

armour87 wrote: »
    Thanks chopter

-To Faith, I have no knowledge on Visas and the like but am I right in saying the max time I get on a Visa is 90 days, there isnt a year long thing nah?

I woke up this morning thinking boards would really guide me lol :(

There's many different types of visas. The 90-day one is just a tourist visa. If you're a student, you could get a J1 and work on that. It's not like Australia, you can't get a year long working visa for the states.

And honestly, if you're asking a bunch of strangers on the internet to tell you whether to go or not, I think it's obvious you're not ready to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭[WoW]

I think you should stay and be with your girlfriend :o:D

Nah, I think she wants rid of me anyway :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Op you could always go and find a job here with a company that you may have the chance to do an intra-company transfer. It might take a couple of years though.

I had the chance recently but unortunately it fell through :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

Not to burst your bubble buddy but why move here. You wont be able to work legally here without a visa. If you get caught you will be banned from coming here for upto 10 years. It just sounds to me like your stuck in a rut, moving here wont help that. The ecomomy here is in a tight squeeze, jobs here in boston are not as plentyful as they were a year ago especially in the building trade. Stay in ireland, work out things at college, stick with the gf. Things can and will get alot better. Bets of luck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement