Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

to lower case..

Options
  • 10-04-2008 11:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Im programming in a language called Altitude,
    it's similar to VB, It doesn't have a built in function for
    changing text from upper case to lower like in SQL for example,

anyone know a VB way of doing it ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Does the language come with any documentation, I'm sure there's a String datatype that contains something to do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

no surprisingly there is no built ins to do this ..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Was LCase(string) the VB way of doing it? Been years since I've touched VB but any way.

Seems strange they did not provide a builtin function but if worst comes to worst you could convert each char to the ascii code and with some simple enough math convert it to lower. Only problem might be dealing with special chars and some unicode chars. Of course this is assuming they provided a way for you to convert a char to ascii lol.

If you have access to the DB you could (if your not going to be doing it all over the place) send the string to a Proc or Function and use the RDBMS to convert for you. But I know I would not be impressed if I reviewed such code, connections/network traffic etc. But if its the only way you can get what you need maybe its an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

yeah i ended up using the built in SQL ...

Advertisement