Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for a greener lawn

Options
  • 10-04-2008 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My back lawn is ok but looks a bit sickly compared to next doors (ya ya grass always greener an all that)
    The soil in the area isn't great and there's a good bit of moss around.
    Any suggestions on what I can do ?
    Any of those lawn feed, moss removers thingys you'd recommend ?

Would really like it looking nice for the summer.

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭MickLimk

Put out a Gouldings 'weed and feed' type product about two weeks ago and the lawn is unbelievably different. Was extremely yellow and now a nice green colour. Can't remember the exact product details but I know it was written on the bag that it kills weeds & moss as well as feeding the lawn.

I'm sure someone else will comment here but I think you need to scarify the lawn after killing moss to remove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Thanks for the reply

but what does "scarify" mean ?

Also where did you get it ?.
    I ask as each mutplie (B&Q, Woodys, Homebase etc) seem to carry different brands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭MickLimk

Scarifying is basically raking with a springy rake (not one you'd use for stones). Ideally you're supposed to 'rake' twice, perpendicular in direction and then mow the lawn with a collector on the mower to pick up the moss & other bits of old grass etc.

I bought the stuff we used in the local co-op store but to be honest, I doubt there's a massive difference in the make-up of the different brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Get rid of the moss by spreading iron (changes the ph of the soil). When the moss turns black rake it off. Apply a lawn feed and lawn weedkiller regularly through the growing season and mow a couple of times each week.

You will then have a beautiful green lush lawn. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

How does the iron come ?....buy it in a garden centre I take it.

And mow a couple of times a week !!! :eek:

Jaysus, it would want to be some lawn if I was giving it that much time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

alxmorgan wrote: »
    How does the iron come ?....buy it in a garden centre I take it
    Most garden centres have it mixed with sand but I usually buy it on its own in an agri sales depot.
    alxmorgan wrote:
    And mow a couple of times a week !!! :eek:

Jaysus, it would want to be some lawn if I was giving it that much time.
    Well you did say......
    alxmorgan wrote: »
    Would really like it looking nice for the summer
    The secret to a good lawn is occasional feeding and regular mowing. Croke Park for instance, is mowed daily or sometimes twice daily in the growing season.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Katzi

I would agree with all the comments above. Similar problem. Yellow at start of the summer with a tendency to moss.

However, I usually scarify BEFORE I apply any 'Weed and Feed with mosskiller'. This seems to work very well. I think you can rent a scarifier from a machinery hire shop. I too find Gouldings very good.

It may be a real pain, but when using your mosskiller especially, it is worth marking your lawn out in 1 metre squares (roughly) with string and/or some bamboos laid on the grass. You keep moving the markers as you go. This way you avoid over-feeding some areas and under-feeding others. Unless you are quite even with your application you can end up with some very lush bright green spots and some that are still yellow - which doesn't look good.

May seem like a lot of work, but if the lawn looks good the whole garden looks much better - and I only do the marking out/scarifying once a year. After that I just weed and feed more casually. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 dlkentertain

Hi Guys

New to this, I have a south facing back garden the lawn is looking very tired so I used a weed & feed granuals all over and all it seemed to do was to burn sone of the grass kill some weeds and turn alot of the lawn brown any ideas as to what I might do!

Thanks

:confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,515 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

would be a good idea to spread some calcified seaweed - it's a slower release fertiliser, and raises the PH of the lawn which inhibits moss growth.

Where can I get this calcified seaweed local DIY shop? Also any ideas why the weed and feed burned the existing grass. I'm new to this garden lark :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

Hi Guys

New to this, I have a south facing back garden the lawn is looking very tired so I used a weed & feed granuals all over and all it seemed to do was to burn sone of the grass kill some weeds and turn alot of the lawn brown any ideas as to what I might do!

Thanks

:confused:

The burning may have been due to fertiliser application without follow-on rain.
    Anymore I suggest watering after fertiliser application especially if rain has not fallen for 48 hours after spreading.

Thanks For the reply.

I did actually water the lawn about a day after the application but maybe not enough. What should I do about the burnt patches will they grow back on their own or do I need to dig them up and put grass seed down.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

Play the waiting game for a short while.
    You would be amazed how resilient grass is, as I have seen it burnt right back only to resprout again.
    The refreshing rain that we received last night (in Galway anyway) will do a lot to revive grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 redstaar

Hey was doing my new lawn for the first time n July everything was fine but since the last month my lawn has turn yellow I put down lime and goulding feed a wk after puting down the grass seed. Now I don't know if I put down 2 much yellow or 2 little goulding feeder but the yellow is spreader if any1 can help

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

redstaar wrote: »
    Hey was doing my new lawn for the first time n July everything was fine but since the last month my lawn has turn yellow I put down lime and goulding feed a wk after puting down the grass seed. Now I don't know if I put down 2 much yellow or 2 little goulding feeder but the yellow is spreader if any1 can help

Start your own thread please

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement