Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surf fitness

Options
  • 10-04-2008 11:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

Im fairly new to surfing and I get so exhausted paddling for anyamount of time I would consider myself sowhat fit, is there any exersise that is particulary good for surfing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭The Machine

Only surf a bit so I'm no expert. I do a lot of swimming and I find my paddling is easily as good much better surfers (unfortunately that's where comparison ends! ) .

So I'd say get into sports that work your upper body such as swimming, rowing etc. Also try building up your upper body strength with excursuses like press ups, dips, weights etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

The best thing I find to improve your paddling ..... is more paddling :)

Take your board out even when the waves are too small to surf and just paddle around. I've been doing it with a while and I noticed a big difference.

Swimming would be second best.

Also, pbuckland05 I should be surfing this Sunday Morning (Most likely Bunmahon) if you still want to go ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭pbuckland05

Thanks for that, I might feel like a muppet going surfing with no waves though but Ill give it a go, cheers for that invite I cant make it this week but Id like to go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

No worries, ill drop you a mail next time i'm out.

As for the paddling - you might look a bit of a twat paddling with no waves but it will be worth it when your leaving people far behind when your paddling out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭saltrock2007

Thanks for that, I might feel like a muppet going surfing with no waves though but Ill give it a go, cheers for that invite I cant make it this week but Id like to go again.
    I've been surfing for about 8 years on and off, and I found my paddling stroke got way stronger after swimming long distances. If you want greater paddle strength to get into the wave id recommennd getting yourself those resistance paddles for your hands when swimming(don't know what they're called), but if you're looking at getting out back without being exhausted try swimming up to a km everyweek, i defo felt the difference (but i do triathlons too, so kinda fit anyway).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

The best thing I find to improve your paddling ..... is more paddling smile.gif

Agree 100%. Hand paddles when swimming are good too, don't overdo it as they are severe on the shoulders.
    Get out on the messy winter days in your 5/3 nothing builds stamina like that, take your shortest thinnest board if you like self inflicted pain!!. Also work on your technique and getting the board to "glide"
    You see so many people padling with the nose way out of the water which makes it so much harder to catch waves, corking i think it's called.
    Good rule of thumb is to aim to keep the nose just out of the water when paddling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭waves

promethius wrote: »
    Agree 100%.
    Get out on the messy winter days in your 5/3 nothing builds stamina like that, take your shortest thinnest board if you like self inflicted pain!!.

I have a 7ft board which is a lot easier to paddle than my big Bic so I thought that a short thin board would be easier - thought about using a short board to go paddling to build up my fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

In general the longer boards are easier to paddle as they have less rocker and glide a lot more than the shorter ones. The shorter ones are easier to get out back in if it's messy due to being able to duck dive them. I'd love if there were a tow rope out like a ski lift or something :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

jaysus, arrived at the beach today. Howling offshore wind with fairly hefty sets comin in. I thought all my christmas's came at once cause it looked so nice. Paddled out back, seemed ALOT easier than usual. Sat on the board relaxing for a bit, looked back at the shore. Almost made a mess in the pants when i realised the shore looked a LONG way away. Took me almost 45 mins to paddle back in. Was feckin wrecked.

Scary stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

just surf reefs then :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement