Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking In Letterkenny!

Options
  • 10-04-2008 12:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭

Does anyone know what the story is on parking in Letterkenny, I was parked up Ashlawn on Tuesday 8th April and got a piece of paper under my windscreen wiper to say that I was causing an obstruction and an on the spot fine would be sent in the post! This was on A4 paper that was cut across to make about four ticket from each A4 page. It had a place for the Gardai to sign and date - the one I got wasn't signed or dated! I took it up to the Gardai station and they said it was from them, and the the residents were complaining!

Where I was parked did not have a single or double yellow line but was opposite to where they were painted on by the council a week or so ago! Seemingly if you park on a main through road your are causing an abstruction - what does everyone think of this, to be honest I didn't know I was parked illegally and would have thought that if this was a place not to park there should have been double or single yellow lines there especially when they were being painted on all over the town of Letterkenny?

Your thoughts please!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Carrigart Exile

Does anyone know what the story is on parking in Letterkenny, I was parked up Ashlawn on Tuesday 8th April and got a piece of paper under my windscreen wiper to say that I was causing an obstruction and an on the spot fine would be sent in the post! This was on A4 paper that was cut across to make about four ticket from each A4 page. It had a place for the Gardai to sign and date - the one I got wasn't signed or dated! I took it up to the Gardai station and they said it was from them, and the the residents were complaining!

Where I was parked did not have a single or double yellow line but was opposite to where they were painted on by the council a week or so ago! Seemingly if you park on a main through road your are causing an abstruction - what does everyone think of this, to be honest I didn't know I was parked illegally and would have thought that if this was a place not to park there should have been double or single yellow lines there especially when they were being painted on all over the town of Letterkenny?

Your thoughts please!

You have to be issued with an appropriate penalty notice, a piece of paper scrawled on, with no date wouldn't have a hope in any court

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Looks as if one of the locals is trying to stop outsiders parking there.

Forget it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭blue shimmering

smashey wrote: »
    Looks as if one of the locals is trying to stop outsiders parking there.

Forget it.
    I have been parking there from last September and have never seen a Gardai cone, tickets etc on any cars up there - I will not be parking up there again! To be honest if it is one of the locals who is trying to stop 'blow in's' parking there they are very petty to say the least!

OK I know it was very hap hazard parking up to recently but that changed when the double yellow lines were introduced! I think with all the income being spent by students coming into the town to go to college it would more than make up for 5 - 6 hours of congestion up these side roads!

Anyway smashey I will forget about it and move on to other more welcoming locations - anyone have any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

The old swimming pool. ;)

smashey wrote: »
    The old swimming pool. ;)
    Thanks, will check it out!

• Advertisement

Your thoughts please!
    I hear that the Gardia are still putting these pieces of paper on the cars up by Ashlawn, someone was telling me that they go one on the road and also a day or so later on a side road up that direction!

They must be determined to stop people parking up there, I haven't parked there since I got the piece of paper!

I hear that the Gardia are still putting these pieces of paper on the cars up by Ashlawn, someone was telling me that they go one on the road and also a day or so later on a side road up that direction!

They must be determined to stop people parking up there, I haven't parked there since I got the piece of paper!

They must be hoping to get a change to teh parking restrictions for that area pretty soon. However, bits of paper ain't worth....well the paper they are written on

They must be hoping to get a change to teh parking restrictions for that area pretty soon. However, bits of paper ain't worth....well the paper they are written on
    I would say you are right about wanting to get a change to the parking restrictions or something soon along that line! I was told that they were warnings at the moment but suppose they will soon issue tickets - the problem is that there is no double or single line on that side of the road so how are we supposed to know it is illegal to part there especially when the county council have put double yellow lines on the opposite side of the road?

I can't understand why they won't just put their Gardai parking cones in the places where parking is restricted? That would make more sense to me anyway!

I would say you are right about wanting to get a change to the parking restrictions or something soon along that line! I was told that they were warnings at the moment but suppose they will soon issue tickets - the problem is that there is no double or single line on that side of the road so how are we supposed to know it is illegal to part there especially when the county council have put double yellow lines on the opposite side of the road?

I can't understand why they won't just put their Gardai parking cones in the places where parking is restricted? That would make more sense to me anyway!

Are police cones not standard headgear for drunken teenagers

Are police cones not standard headgear for drunken teenagers
    Never thought of that, you are probably right, though they are very heavy wouldn't fancy it on my head! Still why just put lines on one side of the road? Anyway, at some stage in 20++ they will get it right and by that time we probably won't be driving anyway!

• Advertisement
Advertisement