Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Draft in house

Options
  • 10-04-2008 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

Has anyone ever done or had done an air tightness test on an existing house.
    Could you recommend a company to do same. Or could anyone suggest a method to test for leaks causes oneself.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Your house shouldnt be air tight , there has to be some ventilation for fires /stoves etc.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Socos wrote: »
    Has anyone ever done or had done an air tightness test on an existing house.
    Could you recommend a company to do same. Or could anyone suggest a method to test for leaks causes oneself.

there are companys that do this . It will become big buissness in the future .

the air tightness test will show up drafts in the wrong places.

I have limited knowlage about the test but the lads over in the construction and planning forum will know more about it as that is the way building is going now, more and more.

I have seen pictures of the set up. They install a big fan type device on the door way to put increased air pressure in the house. they then use measurements and smoke sticks to show up drafts. So I belive anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Doctor_L

There is not much point considering an air tightness test unless your house has been build to a very high standard and taped and sealed before plastering was done.

If it hasn't been professionally sealed then they will struggle to raise any sort of pressure in the room. We had a draughty house espcially around windows etc.

We got the exterior walls of our house pumped with rockwool insulation and topped up all attic areas to 14 inches with loose fill super pink fibre glass. (about a month ago)

The pumping of the exterior walls resulted in a good seal around all windows etc as 3 holes are drilled above and below a typical 5 foot wide window.

The knee high walls i.e. the bay windows and the sun room had no insulation in them at all, as well as other angled areas above some gable end windows. The pumping of the exterior walls addressed this.

A typically built house often suffers from the fact that the insulation is not snug with the window and door frames. This results in draughts.

Hope this helps.

Liam

Advertisement