Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports category reorganisation

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

irishbird wrote: »
    That's because bowling isnt a real sport

Boo-urns! Play it properly and it is. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Shooting and Sailing are Olympic sports - not activities

I know but im guessing many/most of the posters are coming at it from just an activity viewpoint rather than the competitive formats

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Guys I really don't want to have to wade through all this After Hours type posting, please limit it, it's not making this task any easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Why don't you ask on the mod's forum?

Evil Phil wrote: »
    Why don't you ask on the mod's forum?
    Well, half the noise in this thread is from mods already, and I'd rather get a much broader spectrum of opinions.

• Advertisement

CuLT wrote: »
    Well, half the noise in this thread is from mods already, and I'd rather get a much broader spectrum of opinions.

A heads up on the mod forum would have been nice though..

I don't check feedback often and would not have know about this otherwise.

Maybe a thread there where the various mods can chat without having to put up with the **** from irishbird and the like?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

**** from irishbird and the like?

Ah steady on, I'm not usually one to defend IB but no need to single her out by naming her :mad:

Bambi wrote: »
    I know but im guessing many/most of the posters are coming at it from just an activity viewpoint rather than the competitive formats

True, I was just making a point.

I think a potential problem with all these proposed sub categories is that many are not intuitive and people just flicking through won't see them.

If you perhaps subdivided into 'Olympic' and Non Olympic (or something like that) and then just list the forums. That will clear the clutter and lend itself to easy searching.

Or even simpler: Sports (A-M) and Sports (N - Z)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Cult

I suggest categorising the forums something similar to the wiki list here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_basic_sports_topics

For sure the above examples need to be rearranged according to our user needs. It doesn't have to be too technical.

Marty

mart_max wrote: »
    Cult

I suggest categorising the forums something similar to the wiki list here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_basic_sports_topics

For sure the above examples need to be rearranged according to our user needs. It doesn't have to be too technical.

Marty
    This and r3nu4l's suggestions are excellent food for though, thanks guys. If there's any more, keep 'em coming, no harm in having a multitude of sources to pull ideas from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

CuLT wrote: »
    This and r3nu4l's suggestions are excellent food for though, thanks guys. If there's any more, keep 'em coming, no harm in having a multitude of sources to pull ideas from.
    I think a mixture between r3n4l's list and the WikiP's list would be a perfect solution...as it is, the sports menu is outta control...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

irishbird wrote: »
    But Cult wasnt asking about AH was he? Try and keep up with the thread, there's a love
    Indeed, although discussion draws comparison, which you know, helps with further discussion.

Or we could just all post in thunderdome, LL and AH. Cos you know, they're all more meaningful forums than Sports.

Why exactly did you request access to soccer again??

Know any good rabbit recipes?

On Topic:

I agree to a degree, its a hard navigational Cat, but then again, some sports are far more popular than others, so maybe have those at the top??

Regarding Boards Teams, either move it hosted or keep it where it is. It benefits from being paired with soccer and I for one would be less inclined to allow pimping if it were a separate forum.

And Des, even if it moves from soccer to the broader sports, it still won't evade a cat ban for certain users ;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

A problem is that the categories that exist lump several disciplines into one forum already. So Target Shooting has Olympic shooting, practical shooting, long-range shooting, silhouette shooting, clay pigeon (the non-olympic kind) shooting, and a few others along with general plinking. And that's just the example I know best. Trying to find a division like "real" sport/not or Olympic/not just won't work. r3n4l's list, or a straight alphabetical split seems to be the most workable ideas.

Perhaps just two sub Sports forums with an alphabetical split?

Non controversial and very easy to navigate

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Perhaps just two sub Sports forums with an alphabetical split?

Non controversial and very easy to navigate

In terms of keeping things simple, I have to say it's hard to argue with this one.

From the discussion about reorganising the Arts category, I suspect that there are lots of people who will have absolute fits at the notion of subcategories no matter how well-thought-out they are, on the basis that subcategories mean you have to pay more attention to the structure. (And while I disagree with this, I do appreciate the perceived clutter & usability issues associated with second-level subcategory menus). So a simple second-level categorisation mechanism like alphabetical split has that in favour of it.

That being said, I would like to see the site map updated or even completely revamped, possibly using something like a simplified version of the Dewey system to organise fora. Yeah, I know, it's probably overkill, but on the other hand it's also a tried-and-tested classification system that has expandability built-in to a certain extent and might be easily adapted to meet boards.ie's requirements....

(I'm at work now so can't offer a detailed suggestion of a Dewey-based structure, but I'll try to come up with one this evening and post in-thread again)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Bump!

Is it just me or is the Sports section a big mess?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

CHD wrote: »
    Bump!

As in...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Someone mentioned putting airsoft in with shooting...

Uh, no.

I dont know about the other sports, but airsoft and shooting are both very much in (pun alert) the sights of the DOJ alot of the time for different and similar reasons.

Keeping the divide between these two sports is important, there is no similarity between them except the photos of your gear threads :D

Shooters use real guns to shoot targets or animals when hunting, they are potentially lethal firearms and never should be associated with a game where you shoot at people. Shooters do not want to be associated with airsoft.

Airsofters use harmless toy guns to shoot each other as in paintball, our sport is based on the guns being harmless and we dont want to be associated with potentially lethal real guns. Airsoft does not want to be associated with shooting.

Ye may as well lump computer games in the military section as they play war games.

Just wanted to nip that idea in the bud, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Not to worry - both the Airsoft mods and the Shooting mods nipped that one earlier (the Airsoft forum was originally set up because the Shooting mods asked for it, IIRC, we're not looking to reintegrate!)

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

CHD wrote: »
    Bump!

it's always just you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Nope: me too.

Advertisement