Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

No claims bonus - changing to commercial

Options
  • 10-04-2008 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭

Hi i have a 5 yrs ncb and was considering changing to a van but not for business use. I was told that you lose your ncb when you change over, so what happens then to the ncb that you have built up?
    thanks.
    maybe it only applies if you are changing over to commercial use of the van.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Have you asked your insurance company?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭markymac

andreac wrote: »
    Hi i have a 5 yrs ncb and was considering changing to a van but not for business use. I was told that you lose your ncb when you change over, so what happens then to the ncb that you have built up?
    thanks.
    maybe it only applies if you are changing over to commercial use of the van.

I'm with Quinn, and they allow for your no claims if you're changing over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭Invincible

I sent you some info/PM,andreac.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'd say that whoever told the OP about it possibly meant that if it went onto a company policy then it doesn't usually count AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Your no claims history is a statement of risk in my opinion, if you have one then you are a lower risk than someone who doesn't.

If an insurer won't recognise this, on the basis that you are changing from a car to a van, I would consider that sharp practice.

There is no logical reason to ignore it as a risk factor IMO.

Go elsewhere.

Always assume that insurance companies are profiteers and you wont go wrong. I renewed mine recently, quotes varied from 650 to 290...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Oilrig wrote: »
    Your no claims history is a statement of risk in my opinion, if you have one then you are a lower risk than someone who doesn't.

If an insurer won't recognise this, on the basis that you are changing from a car to a van, I would consider that sharp practice.

There is no logical reason to ignore it as a risk factor IMO.

Go elsewhere.

Hmm, if only, but insurance companies are happy to have us over a barrel and fleece us as much as possible. My 3 years motorbike ncb counted for nothing when I got a car, which is stupid. Anyone who rides a bike and drives will tell you that a bike really shows you the dangers on the roads and makes you a far more careful driver.

Advertisement