Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paid rent and deposit, but did not sign the contract, which fee will i pay?

Options
  • 10-04-2008 12:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi,

i paid the rent and deposit before finding out that i could not have a decent internet connection in the place i wanted to go to and i need that for work.
    Called the estate agency and was covered by insults, the guy practically hung up on me warning that i will pay a fee, i knew that and i was apologizing for it.
    Is someone aware of what range of price i will pay for what was his fault in the beginning as he promised a "reliable internet connection"?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

You should not have to pay any fee. There was misrepresentation which induced you to pay a deposit and rent. You are entitled to avoid the contract and get all your money back and even claim for damages. Small claims court against the landlord and agent if there is any difficulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Question: did you ask for broadband, or "decent net connection"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 rotronnie

I was checking the landline and asked "can i have dsl internet from here?" and the agent replied "oh ye, the previous tenant had internet as well", maybe i'm not entitled to receive damages, but my money back for sure.
    I should receive damges for what he told me, the funny thing id that just as i paid the deposit, 2 hours after, a colleague of mine told me that the first ad in Daft was my new house?!?!?!!? Wasn'it funny?
    Thanks for your reply, anyway the guy is playing hide and see, not answering calls and magically disappearing from the office every time i'm there.
    Don't wanna file a claim, but will have to if he doesn't show up.
    Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Could the previous tenant have had something like Clearwire, i.e. wireless broadband?

Advertisement