Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Irish Album?

Options
  • 10-04-2008 1:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭

This has probably been done before but could people name their favourite Irish album of all time? Doing a bit of research here. Name just one please. Thanks a million

Mine is: A House - I Want Too Much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

For me probably ASH "1977"

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

^ Beat me to it so I'll go -

JJ72 - JJ72

Love that album.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Loveless. Or Heart Worm if we're allowed two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

"Roisin Dubh" by Thin Lizzy but TBH it's possibly for the title track. Cracker...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Thought Delorentos 'In Love With Detail' was incredible. Particularly that opening track

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Thin lizzy, live and dangerous...
    Probably win best live album too... can of worms anyone??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

slideways wrote: »
    Thin lizzy, live and dangerous...
    Probably win best live album too... can of worms anyone??
    +1

A distant second would be Pugwash and Jolity; it's really refreshing to hear music coming out of Ireland that isn't self-consciously Irish.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Heartworm by Whipping Boy.

Go and find it if you have never heard it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

The best is Astral Weeks - Van Morrison

• Registered Users Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

-or-

my bloody valentine - loveless

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Achtung Baby.
    17years old,every track still sounds good. Berlin's elektropolis lying on it's back like a turtle with a grafitti daubed shell waving it's feet. Fun,dark,sexy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Photi

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless.

Hands down.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The Frames, "Fitzcorraldo"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Rockbox

Thin Lizzy - Live and Dangerous.......still standing the test of time! (or Black Rose if you're counting studio records). :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

U2 - Achtung Baby

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

JJ72 - JJ72

Never get sick of listening to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

MBV-Loveless
    wins it but
    Microdisney- Everybody is Fantastic
    Whipping Boy-Heartworm
    Fatima Mansions-Viva dead ponies
    Rollerskate Skinny- Horsedrawn wishes

come close

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Loveless by miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Richie Kavanagh - Aon Focal Eile

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Naming just one is tough - I'll pick The 4 Of Us - Songs for the Tempted (one of the first albums I bought)

Honorable Mentions.... A House - I Am The Greatest, A House - Wide Eyed and Ignorant, The Devlins - Waiting, Something Happens - Stuck Together with Gods Glue, Mundy - Jellylegs, The Frank and Walters - Trains Boats and Planes, Blink - Map of the Universe, Rubyhorse - Rise

Sorry :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭hawkmoon269

Ohmigod, two posters mentioned U2!! The horror! I guess the usual indie/metal snobs will be in shortly to tell you that, in fact, you're wrong!!

Imagine that! An IRISH person, on an IRISH forum, actually confessing to a liking for the greatest band that ever came out of Ireland!!

**** me!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Affable

Do The Pogues count?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Its a toughie!
    Rory Gallagher-irish tour is one of my favourites

Blink-A map of the universe,i couldnt get enough of this album back in the day,whatever happened to these guys,they were great,saw them live in the old oak in tralee once.

Vagabonds of the western world-Thin lizzy

Declan o rourke-Since kyabram, a perfect album.

Ohmigod, two posters mentioned U2!! The horror! I guess the usual indie/metal snobs will be in shortly to tell you that, in fact, you're wrong!!

Imagine that! An IRISH person, on an IRISH forum, actually confessing to a liking for the greatest band that ever came out of Ireland!!

**** me!!
    Balls of steel indeed hawk. But right is right. A good album should play good all the way through and achtung baby does that. I wouldn't be u2s biggest fan,then again i wouldn't be the biggest fan of any irish band. But most of the other albums mentioned have seriously big holes in them. Some do indeed have little gems that could mean something to the listener but 4decent songs does not make a good album and definately not 'the best'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Its a toughie!
    Blink-A map of the universe,i couldnt get enough of this album back in the day,whatever happened to these guys,they were great,saw them live in the old oak in tralee once.
    There was talk of re-releasing their 3 albums on their myspace page. Originally said end of '07 but now says '08, but no set date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Who gave you the authority to declare U2 as the greatest band to ever come out of Ireland?

Personally, I think My Bloody Valentine were the greatest band to ever come out of Ireland and Loveless is just awesome, from start to finish. However, with the attitude that you seem to have, I doubt you'd give that opinion the time of day.

I think you are the real snob here.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

**** me!!

Eh b*llox tbh

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Eh b*llox tbh
    I kinda agree with you but i can't back it up. There are/were a lot of really crap bands in ireland with a dedicated and vocal following. U2 have longevity and the occassional re-invention that (regardless of personal taste) their ouvre gotta stand for something. And in the land of the blind the chap with the stick is king.
    Achtung Baby is a pretty decent stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Yeah there's far too much U2 knockin' goin' on. Like honestly, they're one of few Irish bands who actually put Ireland on the map.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Loveless. I dislike all the other albums mentioned here.

Advertisement