Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health Insurance

Options
  • 10-04-2008 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

I currently have Health Insurance with Quinn healthcare which is deducted at source by my employer. At the beginning of 2007 I left Quinn and didn't take out any health insurance for that year. In 2008 I rejoined and specfically stated (verbally) that I wanted to start afresh and not to backdate my policy.

However this week Quinn Healthcare have decided to up my subscriptions to cover the period for when I wasn't a member.

Are they entitled to do this without my permission?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

Only if you didn't cancel your insurance but just instructed your employer to stop paying it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

If you leave a health insurance company and don't rejoin it or another company within a certain period of time (usually around 3 months), you become subject to a requalifying period eg 2 years where you would not be covered for certain items.

If you did not inform the company of your intention to leave you would probably still have been covered during the year and you would therefore owe them the money for this period

Advertisement