Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chocolate cake!!!

Options
  • 10-04-2008 1:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭

chocolate-cake.jpg

http://londonist.com/2008/04/rape_is_like_being_force-fed_chocolate_cake_blogs_bnp_official_.php

How such an idiot gets elected is beyond me.
    April 9, 2008
    “Rape is Like Being Force-Fed Chocolate Cake” Blogs BNP Official
    parliament.jpg
    Not only can blogging wage war on your health, but public figures are getting in trouble for their online opinions. The BNP’s Nick Eriksen learnt this the hard way last week, after he was sacked as the party's London Assembly candidate for publishing jaw-droppingly obtuse views on rape on his blog. The post has since been removed, but luckily journalists were quick to spot the following:

"Rape is simply sex (I am talking about 'husband-rape' here)... Women enjoy sex, so rape cannot be such a terrible physical ordeal…To suggest that rape, when conducted without violence, is a serious crime is like suggesting force-feeding a woman chocolate cake is a heinous offence.”

Yeah. Whoa.

Londonist wants to know how someone with these kinds of views can have possibly gotten as far as Eriksen has in government: up until now, his blog has been either ignored or praised by fellow BNP leaders, including one entry in 2005 describing career women as “unnatural and vile.” Eriksen claimed his commentary sought to “stimulate debate”.

Almost 80% of rapes are “acquaintance rapes,” or sexual acts forced upon women by someone they know. Partner/husband rapes are the most common, and according to a 2000 British Crime Survey, strangers were responsible for a mere 8% of the rape victims surveyed. So no, Eriksen, rape is not exactly, nearly, or approximately anything remotely like eating cake, and whoever the perpetrator is, rape is by definition violent, and is never “simply” sex, whether or not it is instigated by a husband.

by Kira Hesser

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Well, he's in the BNP. Nuff said.

Although, you're right Thaed. How did he get elected?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

Money! The BNP are notorious for pumping large amounts of cash into local candidates. One in question was this one in 2001 http://tinyurl.com/5pjrqq I disagree with the BNP's manifesto entirely. I say this in defense of the British people living here. It's bad enough being tarred with the same brush as the English that caused so much trouble in 1916.

But I am partly Irish anyway as I was born in Galway but moved to the UK when I was 3 years old. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

thats quite outrageous, however, your picture at the start of the post is very distracting....

mmmmm cake...

tbh.. people with extreme views like this are all over the place, its ridiculous. despite being quite a 'forward' country/continent, most people in power grew up when that kind of attitude was fairly normal. unfortunately in some cases, people's views don't change or modernise on some issues, and it's not always easy to notice. i mean, he'd never say anything like that on tv or in an interview, but probably assumed a post like that in his blog might not get such attention.

idiot..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Jebus! Clearly an idiot, elected by same and it would not surprise me to find out how many would go along with that. Wouldn't surprise at all.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Well after that poll a few weeks ago that showed a large percentage feel the rape victim is somehow responsible we can't really be suprised at this type of thing.

What a ****tard. Hope someone suprises buttsecks him.

I mean, it seems he would enjoy it once your not hitting him.

I do wonder how long it will take for the Freedom of Speech argument to come up though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

How silly. Cake is worse, you can't put on weight from rape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Ruthee

Dragan wrote: »
    Well after that poll a few weeks ago that showed a large percentage feel the rape victim is somehow responsible we can't really be suprised at this type of thing.

yeah i read about that survey..more shockingly however, a large percentage of of women taking the poll felt that the victim was responsible...how anyone can think it is one thing,but for women?sometimes i just dont know...:(

Ruthee wrote: »
    yeah i read about that survey..more shockingly however, a large percentage of of women taking the poll felt that the victim was responsible...how anyone can think it is one thing,but for women?sometimes i just dont know...:(

It is very important to look at where the poll was done and the people most likely to respond!

Now, i work in Statistics and part of our team do markety research, surveys, all that type of thing. I can honestly say never to pay too much attention to any kind of survey like that....a certain type of person and demographic will always reply to a certain subject so the numbers can be highly skewed.

For example.....i think ( or at least i have enough faith in my home country and my fellow Irish ) that as a nation we are finally starting to become more open, honest and accepting. Go back to even when i was a kid and being gay was a sin and a crime, wearing a short skirt made you hooker....that type of thing.

A lot of people who would have had this attitude will not have changed and it will continue to come through in surveys such as this.

I mean, how many people here ever even aware that such a survey was carried out? Who was asked for their view and how were the results collected? What was sanity testing done on it and what kind of rules were there based around targeting?

I sincerely doubt that such views truly represent the opinions of the Irish populace with regard to such a subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

WindSock wrote: »

Wholly inappropriate comment, in spite of the lighthearted tone of the topic. I wouldn't usually say anything as a joker myself but come on. Cake worse than rape?

Dragan wrote: »

A lot of people who would have had this attitude will not have changed and it will continue to come through in surveys such as this.

you're probably right on this,but then again wouldnt it be a priority of a statistican to get a balanced sample for the survey so that it would be valid? I dont know too much about stats so i dont know, is that possible?..

I agree that Ireland has come along way, but now and then something someone says will make me wonder...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I agree that Ireland has come along way, but now and then something someone says will make me wonder...

Have we really ?

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhcwkfidojmh/
    More than one woman is raped in Dublin every day, new figures revealed today.

During the month of July, 39 women attended the Sexual Assault and Treatment Unit (SATU) at the city’s Rotunda Hospital, while 31 women were examined there in June.

The figures, compiled by the Dublin Rape Crisis Centre (DRCC), were released as it emerged fewer than one in 10 sexual assault cases are reported to gardai.

The study, commissioned by the Rape Crisis Network in Ireland (RCNI), also found that 95% of cases reported to gardai will never reach court.

It showed that Ireland has the worst record in Europe when it comes to successfully prosecuting people accused of sex crimes.

Kate Mulkerrins, legal co-ordinator with RCNI, blamed the quality of garda investigations and a range of failures in the legal system on low number of cases being brought by victims.

“The average rape case takes 118 weeks from someone being charged to getting a case to trial, and that’s on top of the time between reporting a crime and a charge,” she said.

“That’s double the time of a similar case in the UK.

“We take far too long, we don’t support people enough in the system, and essentially we leave people in the dark.

well, that is absolutely shocking...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

ellscurr wrote: »
    Wholly inappropriate comment, in spite of the lighthearted tone of the topic. I wouldn't usually say anything as a joker myself but come on. Cake worse than rape?

Tongue-in-cheek, m'dear.

you're probably right on this,but then again wouldnt it be a priority of a statistican to get a balanced sample for the survey so that it would be valid? I dont know too much about stats so i dont know, is that possible?..

For a statatician yes, but for a journalist no. It also depends on the type of person doing the work from start to finish.

You would be amazed how people have tried to interpret some of the figures i have given them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,673 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I see your chocolate cake, Thaedydal and raise you this:
    Italy's highest court has ruled that a woman wearing jeans cannot be raped.

The Supreme Court of Appeal in Rome on Wednesday overturned a rape conviction, saying that the supposed victim must have agreed to sex because her jeans could not have been removed without her consent.

Rome Correspondent David Willey: "Ground-breaker in Italian legal annals"
    A court in the southern town of Potenza had convicted a driving instructor of raping his 18-year-old pupil.

The instructor, aged 45 and identified only as Carmine, had been sentenced to 34 months' jail.

His defence had argued that the young woman - identified as Rosa - had consented to sex, a version of events which the woman strongly denied.

The Supreme Court ruled that it was impossible to remove a pair of jeans "without the collaboration of the person wearing them", and that the young woman must therefore have consented to sex.

In a judgement likely to anger women's rights organisations, the rape conviction was reversed.

Driving instructors in Italy have a reputation, deserved or undeserved, for molesting young female pupils, and the case appeared at first to be a familiar story of sexual assault on a lonely country road.

Beat that :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I think some people need to be educated about the difference between 'freely given consent' and 'terrified cooperation in fear of your life'.

The problem is that 'terrified cooperation in fear of your life' is misconstrued as 'consent' because some people who have not been raped or beaten in their lives cannot understand how you wouldn't fight back with every ounce of your being.

If you have been raped while wearing jeans, surely you must have consented. If you have been raped while wearing jeans, had your cheekbone and nose broken, your wrist fractured and one of your shoulders dislocated, THEN we will agree that you were not consenting.

But what choices do you make in the midst of being attacked? Do you trade genital injury and emotional trauma against genital injury, emotional trauma and the long road to recovery from grevious bodily harm because you fought back? Do you cooperate in the hope your attacker won't strangle you to death? Do you offer little resistance to being orally raped because you don't want to be stabbed in the stomach?

If you do not fight back, do you spend months punishing yourself because you didn't fight back?

Decisions decisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Thats true, MAJD. I guess it's like someone threatening your family if you don;'t bring them to your bank and withdraw your savings for them. You may have co-operated, but it's not genuine consent.

The BNP are nutcases. When I lived in the UK they were doing well politically, on the back of the immigration issue. People voted for them on that basis, and ignored their other policies.

However, as much as I hate what they say, I would rather live in a country that allows them to say it, than one that does not.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭carolmon

Really tongue in cheek or otherwise, surely a moderator of a women's forum should know better than to joke about rape, doubt many people who have experienced assault are laughing.

carolmon wrote: »
    Really tongue in cheek or otherwise, surely a moderator of a women's forum should know better than to joke about rape, doubt many people who have experienced assault are laughing.

You can laugh about everything or you can laugh about nothing.

OH I'd say you would put on a fair bit if you ended up pregnant esp in the case of spousal rape where he would want you to keep the child or even if he didn't know the relationship could be that controlling and financially abusive that you may not have the time or money to get emergency contraceptive or to travel to the U.K.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

I once read, and for the life of me i cannot remember where, that in France or Italy, rape cannot be committed in a certain type of car. I must try harder to find it.

Its not like we can cast stones, the second woman to go public about being raped in Ireland (The first being Lavinia Kerwick).
    Was ran out of the village she lived in, and it is not 15 years past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭aye

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Its not like we can cast stones, the second woman to go public about being raped in Ireland.
    Was ran out of the village she lived in, and it is not 15 years past.

what?

aye wrote: »
    what?

I forget her name, I think it was down in Cork. She was raped by a well know taxi driver, and the rest of the vilage were not impressed with her going public with it.
    She left for England as a result of the harrassment.

The same with Mary Shannon she and her children had to move out of the town
    after she was raped in her home.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1219/shannonm.html

Thaedydal wrote: »
    The same with Mary Shannon she and her children had to move out of the town
    after she was raped in her home.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1219/shannonm.html

Thae,

that is a very lose interpretation of that article. From my reading of it the poor woman seemed to feel like she could no longer live in the house she was raped in, not that whole town turned on her for going public?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Oh My God!! :eek: I can't believe what I just read. That should not have ever been printed. It's a dangerous attitude to publicise and will probably hurt many people out there. Good job pointing it out, name and shame the planks I say!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

:(:(:(

that's all just so... i can't believe so much of that. i do, of course...but in a dumbfounded way. i had loads typed here, but... i just... agh, just... :(

god, people suck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Thaedydal, kudos on what you've done with that thread title... :)
    LOL :D
    ellscurr wrote: »
    Please tell me you didn't think it was anything other than tongue-in-cheek...?
    carolmon wrote: »
    Lighten up...

Meh, it doesn't surprise me one little bit that there are those (men and women) who believe rape within marriage is ok...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

dfx- wrote: »
    I see your chocolate cake, Thaedydal and raise you this:

Beat that :p

If this was acually true then all women would have to do to prevent being raped is wear jeans. It's beyond stupid!

/goes to put on rape prevention jeans

Advertisement