Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chocolate cake!!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

watna wrote: »
    If this was acually true then all women would have to do to prevent being raped is wear jeans. It's beyond stupid!

/goes to put on rape prevention jeans

Well next thing you know it will not be rape cos a woman was not wearing
    "Rapex" and there for consented to any and ever man having sex with her.

rapex.jpg

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadgets/rapex-the-rape-prevention-device-delayed-182437.php
    As you may remember, the gadget goes inside of a woman and clamps down on a rapist's penis to force him into getting medical attention, which in turn will alert the authorities that he is a rapist (or the victim of a horrible practical joke).

http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/controversy-in-south-africa-over-device-to-snare-rapists/2005/09/01/1125302683893.html
    A medieval device built on hatred of men? Or a cheap, easy-to-use invention that could free millions of South African women from fear of rape, in a country with the world's worst sexual assault record?

Dubbed the "rape trap", trademarked "Rapex", the condom-like device bristling with internal hooks designed to snare rapists has re-ignited controversy over South Africa's alarming rape rate, even before plans for its production were announced in Western Cape this week.

Some say the inventor, Sonette Ehlers, a former medical technician, deserves a medal, others that she needs help.

The device, concealed inside a woman's body, hooks onto a rapist during penetration and must be surgically removed.

Ms Ehlers said the rape trap would be so painful for a rapist that it would disable him immediately, enabling his victim to escape; but would cause no long-term physical damage and could not injure the woman.

Some women's activists call the device regressive, putting the onus on women to address a male problem.

Charlene Smith, an anti-rape campaigner, said it "goes back to the concept of chastity belts" and would incite injured rapists to kill their victims.

"We don't need these nut-case devices by people hoping to make a lot of money out of other women's fear," Ms Smith said.

But Ms Ehlers contends that South Africa's rape problem is so severe women cannot wait for male attitudes to improve.

"I don't hate men. I love men. I have not got revenge in mind. All I am doing is giving women their power back," Ms Ehlers said. "I don't even hate rapists. But I hate the deed with a passion."

The United Nations says South Africa has the world's highest per capita rate of reported rapes - 119 per 100,000 people. Analysts say the total, including unreported rapes, could be nine times higher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Brilliant! Who comes up with these things?

My OH is in South Africa at the moment. Will I get him to bring us back some? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Nick Eriksen's blog has been suspended. He has this to say,
    "
    While most readers of this blog understood perfectly well the points I was trying to make, it seems some people didn't and they believe the absurd media lies and smears.
    I am genuinely sorry if these people were upset, but they really should have read more carefully. Had they done so they would have understood that I definitely do not condone sexual violence. To suggest that I do is a complete lie.

In future I hope that people will read more carefully, considering both the context and the style, instead of jumping to grotesque conclusions or falling for the media and far-left lies."
    http://sirjohnbull.blogspot.com/

But of course, since he's taken the rest of the blog down it's hard to judge him on the basis of context and style :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

While most readers of this blog understood perfectly well the points I was trying to make, it seems some people didn't and they believe the absurd media lies and smears.
    Groan... yet another "it's the media, not me" whinge...

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭carolmon

Dudess wrote: »
    k...?

Lighten up...

Wh? Cos you say so???

I didn't take Theadydal's opening post or the blog topic (ie incredible levels of ignorance about the nature and effects of rape) to be light in nature

I thought since it was in the Ladies Lounge it was up for an intelligent discussion, it wasn't posted in AH...........

BTW I noticed you don't multiquote Thaedydal's response to Windsock's comment, which clearly shows it was posted to generate a serious response..

• Advertisement

Thaedydal's retort wasn't relevant to what I was trying to say.
    WindSock's post was purely satirical, nothing more. I don't think anything is beyond satire.
    Her post, whether intentional or unintentional, made an extremely good point: in our culture, there is such a hysterical emphasis on not putting on weight (I'm not talking about getting fat, I'm talking about having a bit of an ass) that it's spoken about as if it's as bad as - if not worse than - rape.

Dudess wrote: »
    Thaedydal's retort wasn't relevant to what I was trying to say.
    WindSock's post was purely satirical, nothing more. I don't think anything is beyond satire.
    Her post, whether intentional or unintentional, made an extremely good point: in our culture, there is such a hysterical emphasis on not putting on weight (I'm not talking about getting fat, I'm talking about having a bit of an ass) that it's spoken about as if it's as bad as - if not worse than - rape.

Prolly cos the true impact of rape is unknown to a lot of people as it is years of
    recovery and changes the person and most don't want to talk about it openly.

The effect of rape and sexual assault on both men and women is consistantly played down.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭carolmon

Didn't read it like that at all............and hey let's not turn this into another fat debate, think that's been done to death, and really don't want to be taking away from the topic.

Just meant that I would've expected a bit more sensitivity here from the mods here, a bit more awareness...... i mean if the stats are correct 1 in 4 have experienced sexual assault so just to be aware who's posting and reading is alll,

just my thoughts.

I see where you're coming from too. Thaed's right - there needs to be more emphasis on just how horrific the effects of rape are.

carolmon wrote: »
    Just meant that I would've expected a bit more sensitivity here from the mods here, a bit more awareness...... i mean if the stats are correct 1 in 4 have experienced sexual assault so just to be aware who's posting and reading is alll,

just my thoughts.

Well that is why I would not post things here that would be triggers with out a warning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

I used to be involved with a young lady who had been raped. Her way of dealing with it was to get me to do the deed in a simular way, very forceful and aggressive. As she said it was how she thought it was done. Now I am very much the opposite, I prefer to be very caring and gentle thinking of my partner before me. Needless to say I was not happy with the relationship and ended it.

The poor girl was only 22 and I keep wondering if she ever came to terms with her ordeal and managed to have a more caring relationship.

DJ Spider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

carolmon wrote: »
    just meant that I would've expected a bit more sensitivity here from the mods here, a bit more awareness...... i mean if the stats are correct 1 in 4 have experienced sexual assault so just to be aware who's posting and reading is alll,

Just because I moderate the forum doesn't mean I have to restrict my posting style because I may come across as insensitive or taken up the wrong way.
    If you have a problem with me or my posts report them, go to feedback or put me on your ignore list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Well that is why I would not post things here that would be triggers with out a warning.

While i see where you are coming from i cannot really agree.

The title of the Thread is Chocolate Cake. Nothing in their about rape in anyway so in comes a rape victim thinking it is an innocent thread and BAM, some ****tards ridiculous comments about rape that sets off all the memories again.

Sure, it's a smaller example than what people are taking umbrage with here but the effect is the same.

My point is, if we are going to sit here and say this and that might happen then we can't really say anything , about anything, ever.

Everybody is up in arms here because the subject is rape, thats about it.

Under your own argument about triggers you would also have shown a degree of insensitivity because you gave no warning as to the thread content for those who may be affected adversely by it.

This however, would make no sense at all.

Maybe Thaed felt if she gave the thread a serious title, certain Ladies' Lounge posters wouldn't be bothered reading it...

Trigger post are one that have explict details of a rape, the descriptions of certain acts which can hit replay on a victums mind suddenly and abruptly.

There are no trigger posts in this thread, maybe you don't know what that means in terms of rape, abuse and for the likes of cutters.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

.....aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand, BACK TO THE ORIGINAL TOPIC!

Is the man from the BNP a pleb? Answers on a postcard to this thread!

I don't like locking threads, folks. Locking a thread is like shooting a little bird, never again will I hear its twittering song or see it's swooping flight.

However, as I'm a nasty bint at heart, I am not averse to clipping its wings, keeping it in a cage and teaching it every day to say 'Polly wants a cracker' in exchange for store-bought treats.

No more discussion about the title of the thread, Windsock's alleged insensitivity to rape victims, Thaed's alleged lack of warnings that the thread is about rape and not, in fact, cake, and what you allegedly expect from your moderators on this forum.

I am one of your moderators on this forum. This is what you can expect from me.

If you want to blow someone out of the water for not meeting your expectations, please, from here on feel free to use the PM function, leave it out of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

dfx- wrote: »
    Rome Correspondent David Willey: "Ground-breaker in Italian legal annals"
    That was on purpose right?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Yes thead, please next time post title... Chocolate Cake - Warning may contain traces of Rape! And i personally dislike the term Rape Victim. Victim is a weak word. And people who have been raped and live through it are not weak and should not be labeled as victims. Please pardon the off topic post.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

meh, no more or less tahn victims of any other crime.

and i've seen people become complete victims of those circumstances. i've seen people survive through it and become stronger, fail to do so, and fall complete victim to their circumstances.

There is a difference between a rape victim and a rape survivor as crumble froo pointed out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Another one to add to the list of stories that beggar belief:

Rape victim arrested for having underage sex

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Stark wrote: »
    Another one to add to the list of stories that beggar belief:

Rape victim arrested for having underage sex

There has to be more to that story than meets the eye. I find it really hard to believe that it's as cut and dry as "woman gets gang-raped, gets arrested and attackers are set free."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

i'm sure your man would have the same opinion after someone shoves a cock up his arse.

Advertisement