Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

mini cooper

Options
  • 10-04-2008 1:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭

Guys a mate of mine wants to buy a mini cooper.
    He has looked at a 94 one and asked me how to tell the difference between a mini cooper and an ordinary one?
    Is there a chassis number or a plate on coopers that differs from a normal one?
    Thanks
    j

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

Mini cooper is stated on the tax book of mine, i would imagine this would be the same for all minis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Yeah but is there anyway to identify a cooper engine incase a swap ever happened?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

I could be wrong (i heard this in the pub) but i think the same 1275cc engine is in both. It's the gearbox that is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

the difference between a cooper and a mayfair / sprite 1275cc A-series is the camshaft,and injection the rest is the same, afaik they may have different diffs, with the cooper a 3.44, not sure of the others.

genuine coopers will be stamped on the innerwing VIN plate, to the left of the engine (clutch side), bonnet stripes, pin stripes and a cooper decal on the rear quater.

a 94 is a spi engine afaik, the mayfair was a carb of that vintage as was the sprite.

make sure you check for rust on the floor, sills, A-panel, scuttle, rear valance , boot floor, battery box, wings under the lights, behind the windscreen rubbers, doors, subframes.

make sure there are no oversills fitted, check engine for wear, gearbox whines a bit even when new, make sure it shifts okay, especially 2nd, and make sure 3rd engages properly.check handbrake, cv joints, track rods, steering rack play.

the cooper engines had specific numbers stamped on the block on the right just under the head, i dont know the numbers though???
    if its totally original, the cooper rocker cover has mini cooper written on it!

personally i wouldnt touch a injected cooper, carbs are much better.

12axxamabad or somthing similar is the code for 1275 minis, ill get a accurate one tomorrow...cant be arsed to go out and check!

ALOT of minis here are falsley advertised as coopers, id be VERY careful, and some are owned by people who just dont have a clue, ask them what oil they use, either 20w50(best) or 15w40/30(not so good) never sythetic , the wrong oil will definatly cause gearbox problems amongst others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Kona, Big thanks, i'll pass that on.
    Apparently yer man is lookin for 4500 for it..

• Advertisement
Advertisement