Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Selling A Car

Options
  • 10-04-2008 2:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

I'm selling a car for the first time on Carzone. When I sell the car what papers need to be exchanged/sent off.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You give no vehicle documents to the new owner afaik. You fill out the change of ownership section of the VLC with the new owner's details and get the new owner to sign it. You then post it off to the DOE in Shannon. In about 3 weeks time the new VLC will be posted to the new owner.

That's it to my knowledge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Dublin1600

I'm selling my car on Monday. The buyer is bringing me a bankdraft which I will lodge before filling out the change of ownership papers. I suppose I should post the registration certificate myself and remove my tax disc and insurance disc and cancel my insurance. Is there anything else I'm overlooking? TIA

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Dublin1600 wrote: »
    I'm selling my car on Monday. The buyer is bringing me a bankdraft which I will lodge before filling out the change of ownership papers. I suppose I should post the registration certificate myself and remove my tax disc and insurance disc and cancel my insurance. Is there anything else I'm overlooking? TIA

the tax disc remains with the car.
    you can take the insurance disc no problem.

the bank draft will take a few days to clear so you will have to hold onto the VLC until then but at that stage the car is gone and if your caught up in the moddle of a scam, fake drafts etc etc then it will be too late as the car is gone at this stage.

why dont you agree to meet the buyer at a bank near both of you, of course if he got his draft in a BOI, then meet at a BOI that suits both parties, and maybe cash the draft if its possible.

i have sold two cars for drafts and didnt have any problems, hope it works out ok for ya

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I'm sure if you ring the issuing bank with the draft number, they can verify it? If not, I would not release the car until it was fully cleared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Dublin1600

Thanks all, luckily we both bank with the same bank so hopefully my branch can verify this right away.

• Advertisement
Advertisement