Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improving / Replacing graphics on a board

Options
  • 10-04-2008 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭

Hi, my board is looking a bit tired and worn of late with a lot of the graphics worn or scuffed off. Is there a way to remove them entirely and maybe replace with something new and a bit smarter looking? Any links to on-line shops etc would be great... also, is this hard to do or could I do it myself (if possible?) Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭glide

first off what type of board is it?

plastic
    epoxy
    fibreglass?

all have different approaches

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

im also interested in doing this. I have a plastic 7'8 minimal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Plek Trum

Its a BIC CTS Performer 7"6 - same as here:
    http://www.surfallday.co.nz/products/Surfboards/bic76.html

Any ideas?? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 RedStarHardkore

I did a bit of research on the same subject but only on an epoxy board. As far as I know the process is... Use fine grade sandpaper to rough up the coating on the board. This will create small scratches all over so the primer will stick. Then use primer spray paint as undercoat. This is a coarse paint that will grip into the grooves from the sanding. Leave to dry for a while, but not completely. It should still be a little sticky. Then use fine grade acrylic spray paint (can be got in 4homes stores, model shops, car shops) as an over-coat, and also your designs. Leave this to dry a bit, but again, should be a little sticky for your next coat which should be clear acrylic lacquer. Make sure you use acrylic paint because it's waterproof. Also, practice spraying on something else first because you DON'T want drips to form. Also, make sure you do it in as clean as possible area because dust will stick to the paint and look horrible. This process whould be fine except that if you ding the board or even scratch it badly, the paint can start flaking. The primer will stop it from flaking too fast so you should have time to repair the scratch/ding.

What I just posted is only what I have found out through research, so please, don't take it as gospel truth because it could be wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭glide

right for the plastic one you can get new stickers from bic. easy

or peel them off and scuff the surface with fine paper and use auto grade spray paint this will not need any lacquer over it as it wont stick to the plastic

epoxy boards just sand the top with some 240/320 paper to take back the graphics and lacquer it should have no shine on the surface!!
    next you dont need a primer just tape off your graphics and if you do use acrillic paint most is waterbased, so you need to lacquer over it with car lacquer you need to let each coat dry fully or you will get bumps where it reacts with the layer below!!!

if you are around cork and want some good graphics give me a pm

• Advertisement
Advertisement