Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance Question

Options
  • 10-04-2008 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭

Have been told by a few people that I need to show the NCT cert of the car I'll be insuring, before it will be insured. (I do have the NCT cert)

Have been told by the insurance company (Quinn Direct) that all they want is the car's registration number and my name!

Alot of places asked for my license etc when I was getting a quote even, is this just to do with Quinn Direct or what's the story? Normally, is the NCT cert not supposed to be shown to them first?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It isn't up to insurance companies to enforce the law on NCT certs. It's the company's discretion as to whether they'll insure you without NCT or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭prodigal_son

You will get insurance without an NCT, they dont ask about it, Quinn wont, none of them have ever asked me.

However, there is a clause in every insurance contract, that states the car must be in roadworthy condition.

If you crash, and they find there was no NCT, this could be grounds for them to not fully pay up, as they could state that it was in an un-roadworthy condition sans the NCT

I wouldnt risk it, as they look for the smallest things to get out of paying on claims, and this is a big thing for them to get out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Muzzy

With regards the NCT and the Insurance company that I'm working for, we'd only require a photocopy of the NCT if they car that is going on cover is 10yrs or older. If newer than 10 years, we wouldn't require a copy at all.

Should you be involved in an accident and you did not have an NCT then the car is deemed road unworthy and has no right to be on the road, therefore a claim would NOT be paid out.

It's up to you to keep your car in working roadworthy order, not your insurance company, the NCT is proof of this. Don't give the company reason to render your policy null and void, I have seen it, the policy is cancelled from inception and a full refund of the premium is issued at claim time.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Muzzy wrote: »
    Should you be involved in an accident and you did not have an NCT then the car is deemed road unworthy and has no right to be on the road, therefore a claim would NOT be paid out
    The insurance company would be obliged to pay out on 3rd party claims. It would be up to them to recoup the costs from the insured person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭michelleans

Well they have insured me and all they wanted was my name and bank account details for the direct debit :D I found it strange they didn't even want to see my license! I know the insurance companies are not there to enforce the law but I thought they might like to have a pretty good idea of who they are insuring.

The car is a 97 so over 10 years old. I've got a brand new NCT on it for the next two years though and it's running perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I found it strange they didn't even want to see my license!
    You can rest assured that, if a large claim is made against the policy, they will very much like to see your licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Muzzy

The insurance company would be obliged to pay out on 3rd party claims. It would be up to them to recoup the costs from the insured person.

Not always, I have come across some cases, the minority to be fair, but some cases involving a policy holder has had their Insurance voided and canx from inception, they had been involved in a collision with a third party, the insur'd with the voided insurance was liable.

The third party, none at fault driver was referred to the Motor Insurance Bureau. The Liable Insurance company represented the Innocent Third party.

But that was for serious breaches i.e None disclosure of material fact such as Endorsements etc.

To be fair though, I've never seen that happen for an expired NCT though!

....But it could happen!

Advertisement