Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arrest in Melissa Mahon Case

Options
  • 10-04-2008 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭

http://www.oceanfm.ie/onair/sligoleitrimnews.php?articleid=000003026

Man arrested in connection with Melissa Mahon disappearance Apr 10, 8:25 am
    A man was arrested this morning in Sligo Town in connection with the disappearance of 14-year-old Melissa Mahon who went missing from her home in September 2006.

The 43-year-old man, who is believed to from the Rathbraughan area, is currently being questioned by Gardai at Sligo garda station.

The man is being detained under Section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act at Sligo garda station.

He can be held for up to 24 hours.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Bittersweet though isn't it :(

Poor girl... I can't even imagine losing a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

http://www.oceanfm.ie/onair/sligoleitrimnews.php?articleid=000003027
    Ocean FM news learns human remains found in Lough Gill have been identified Apr 10, 11:17 pm
    Ocean FM news has learned that the human remains found in Lough Gill near Dromahair on the 1st of February are that of missing Sligo teenager Melissa Mahon.

It's likely the Garda investigation into this young girl's disappearance will soon be upgraded to murder.

Yesterday a 43 year old man was arrested in Sligo Town in connection with the disappearance of the 14 year old girl.

Gardai this morning say he's still being detained at Sligo Garda Station under Section Four of the Criminal Justice Act.

It's expected we'll known within the next few hours whether or not the man will be charged or released.

The Garda Technical Bureau yesterday began carrying out extensive searches of the man’s house in Sligo Town and Gardai say these searches are still taking place this morning.

14-year-old Melissa Mahon disappeared from her home in Rathbraughan Park, Sligo in September 2006.

On 1 February this year, gardaí investigating her disappearance began an extensive search of Lough Gill.

They were acting on information and after almost two weeks they discovered skeletal remains wrapped in a duvet on the water-bed near Dooley Rock in Lough Gill.

These remains were taken to Birmingham for analysis.

Gardai have not revealed the results of the tests carried out on the remains recovered from Lough Gill in February.

However OCEAN FM news sources suggest this morning that the tests positively identified the remains as those of the missing girl Melissa Mahon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Libronerd

Has any name been released by the Gardaí yet? There's a horrific rumour going around....how long more has he to be detained?

He's been charged with her murder.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0411/mahonm.html
    Man charged with murder of Sligo teen
    Friday, 11 April 2008 21:27
    A 43-year-old man has been charged with the murder of 14-year-old Melissa Mahon in Sligo town.

At a special sitting of Sligo District Court, Ronnie Mc Manus, also known as Ronnie Dunbar, of Rathbraughan Park, Sligo, was charged with the murder of Melissa Mahon at his home on date unknown in September 2006.

Melissa Mahon disappeared from her home in September 2006.

AdvertisementIn February, gardaí investigating her disappearance discovered skeletal remains during an extensive search of Lough Gill.

It is believed they were subsequently identified as those of Melissa.

Yesterday Mr Dunbar was arrested and detained at Sligo Garda Station.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

sueme wrote: »
    He's been charged with her murder.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0411/mahonm.html

Is he local? Does anyone know of him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

I know him (or should i say I knew him 20 years ago he was off my radar until this), he is from Sligo. I know his father, a very decent man, his mother I don't know, though she is well spoken of.

The guy is a gym head, and a "Well me son whats the crack" type. He lived away a long time, people I have spoken to who ran in to him since he came back were wary in some cases and well disposed in others. There is a history of tragedy in the family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Libronerd

I'm conscious of getting into libellous territory, but it appears there's a connection between the girl "currently in the care of the State" and the accused.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,866 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Well said Libronerd..

.. let's keep away from discussing details not yet revealed in the press. I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread.

I went to get a Chinese from Peking House around 8pm.. and there was loads of people waiting around in cars (kinda made me a bit sad that people were actually waiting around just to get a glimpse).

Anyways, I was home for 8pm so didn't see the commotion that occurred outside the courtside.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Was there commotion outside the court house?

I guess this rocks the town on a whole new level. Any murders we've seen have usually been gang/fued related. I don't know what happened here but it seems senseless! That poor girls family, how horrible for them. I can't imagine how hard it must be for them. My heart goes out to them.

I'm not sure what they have on him but he's been charged so I guess they have plenty. I hope that this brings closure for the family's sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,866 ✭✭✭✭Basq

takola wrote: »
    Was there commotion outside the court house?
    Well.. not exactly.

But a crowd of angry people (and deservedly so) were running after the garda car, shouting abuse and trying to get through the gates at the court house.. news cameras were caught up in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

I spoke to a guy in a Bar tonight, he had driven past the courthouse earlier on and he said the mob outside were drawn from the lowest of the low.

That said, this really is the darkest and most twisted of tales.

Was walking home tonight and wondered why there were RTE vans about..

That poor girl. What a sad short life. Its so unfair.
    Now the circus are in town and everyone wants to know. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

These things attract attention. It's natural that extraordinary events draw a crowd. I'm sure some of the people know the girls family, but most probably didn't. Where was this anger a month ago? Even if there was nobody to direct anger at, where was the shock, the disbelief? To be honest, nobody I mentioned it to seemed to give it a moments thought. They were all ordinary, law abiding and even caring people. Are we all (well mostly) so callous, or desensitized? Alot of the concern I felt was very superficial, very dutiful.

I wasn't in Sligo when she disappeared.

I had just moved to Sligo when they found her remains - I can assure you it affected me, as did how the papers "used" her death.

Sure I haven't thought of her every day since then, but when people or events cause me to remember, it's a sad couple of minutes of reflection even though I didn't know her. She was fourteen and I can remember what I was like at that age, how many things I wanted to do with my life and what I was looking forward to. I can also remember my sister when she was fourteen - she seemed so little and I wanted to protect her from everything. Just a child, really. One with big ideas.

I'd say most people would be the same... but I don't know, maybe you're right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

When Madaleine McCann went missing, she was foremost in many people's thoughts. When the Soham murders happened, people talked of little else. I was just suprised that something like this, which has happened on people's home patch, has aroused so much less general interest. People at work, friends and the like don't seem to be giving it much thought. I've yet to overhear a conversation about it in the shop or bank. I'm sure alot of people are genuinely saddened by this, but it seems to be under alot of people's radar.

il gatto wrote: »
    When Madaleine McCann went missing, she was foremost in many people's thoughts. When the Soham murders happened, people talked of little else. I was just suprised that something like this, which has happened on people's home patch, has aroused so much less general interest. People at work, friends and the like don't seem to be giving it much thought. I've yet to overhear a conversation about it in the shop or bank. I'm sure alot of people are genuinely saddened by this, but it seems to be under alot of people's radar.

I reckon there was a multitude of reasons this case sadly didn’t get the profile. It wasn’t so clear-cut. The fact that the family had just returned from England meant potentially a lack of social networks to rally local informal support.
    The age of this poor girl was another such reason. Madeline McCann was barely school going and in the Soham situation the wee girls weren’t too much older than infants. They were in many ways obviously vulnerable; there was no room for debate. Girls and young women aren’t seen as vulnerable at this age anymore, apparent maturity expected sooner (and wanted sometimes). The sadder side is an inherent sexism in the law seen time and time again in violent cases against women that in some ways (unless again it’s so clear-cut that it isn’t debatable) they are culpable (the way they dressed, whether they had alcohol etc). This can cross into general pubic opinion imo.
    There was a lot of grey reports that first came out about this girl running away, appeals were put out to that effect etc

There was also a difference in resources, and a potential class differential certainly in the case of the Madeline McCann scenario . Two wealthy doctors who knew how to use the media.

This girl was vulnerable through her age, and maybe for a variant of social and family reasons that are just been alleged and touched on. They, should have been reinforced more to try and get the public support that this young woman was missing and whatever way needed the general publics help. The campaign appeared to be mismanaged and at best weak.
    People either couldn’t get their head round the seriousness of the case or (if I was more cynical) at worst felt blame or apathy. And perhaps that’s a sad reflection of the world we live today if it’s the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

il gatto wrote: »
    These things attract attention. It's natural that extraordinary events draw a crowd. I'm sure some of the people know the girls family, but most probably didn't. Where was this anger a month ago? Even if there was nobody to direct anger at, where was the shock, the disbelief? To be honest, nobody I mentioned it to seemed to give it a moments thought. They were all ordinary, law abiding and even caring people. Are we all (well mostly) so callous, or desensitized? Alot of the concern I felt was very superficial, very dutiful.

I agree with what you say Il Gatto, its superficial concern for the most part.
    There was a big crowd of young girls at the courthouse when he was charged, but their only purpose was to heckle abuse at the car he was in.
    I dont know if this guy did what he is accused of or not, but isn't that why there is a justice system there? to conclude if he's guilty or not? By the look of what happened outside the courthouse he's already been sentenced by some people. I think its typical of some (and I use this phrase carefully) people in sligo; Couldn't be bothered for the most part except to maybe spread rumours about what their mate saw or mates mate saw / heard or similar, and once they have someone arrested for it, the 'I knew it's' jump on the bandwagon about it so they can profess your great friendship to the vicitim and how they were right all along

We don't have the right to assume anything about the people outside the court. Melissa was just 14, her friends would now be around 16, their behaviour outside the court is immaterial to the case. 16 year olds at the best of times are emotional, imagine the horror they are now, and have been, going through.

I agree with Tuppence, the diffences with this and other more high profile child abductions, is mainly age and social "class" differences. I feel the main reason there wasn't a massive interest in this case, was that most assumed she had run away, and the fact Melissa was also in foster care, people assume there was difficulties. This is a whole other area to the case, which I'm sure will be examined during the trial

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

I agree with you sueme, that the behaviour outside the court is immaterial to the case, but that was not the point that I was trying to make. I'm not trying to make assumptions about these people, it is just my opinion, based on experiences and nothing more.

Il gatto has made a point that there seems to be (or has been) superficial concern from people over this case, and I think that this highlights it. I don't remember any such public shows of concern or anything remotely similar as what was seen outside the courthouse the other day. Where were these people then, one would ask. Now I may be cynical here (old age again creeping in again) but I can't help but get the feeling that they were only there to be seen to be there doing something and nothing more. They'll talk about it for a short while whilst its in the public eye and it will soon pail into insignificance like yesterdays newspapers.

I'm not trying to cause offense or upset to anyone wirth this. These are simply just my thoughts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Sligored

I know the parents of the guy who has been arrested in connection with the murder of melissa and i have to say they are the most decent people anybody could know. they have not had much contact with their son for years but they are genuinely heartbroken about what has happened to melissa.
    they are very worried and are avoiding leaving their house if possible.
    God bless them also as this is the last thing an elderly couple should have to deal with.

It just goes to show that in any instance of crime, there are many more victims than those we usually think about.

Of course I feel bad for the Mahons, but in a way these poor parents have lost the child (the one they knew) as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

sueme wrote: »
    We don't have the right to assume anything about the people outside the court. Melissa was just 14, her friends would now be around 16, their behaviour outside the court is immaterial to the case. 16 year olds at the best of times are emotional, imagine the horror they are now, and have been, going through.

I agree with Tuppence, the diffences with this and other more high profile child abductions, is mainly age and social "class" differences. I feel the main reason there wasn't a massive interest in this case, was that most assumed she had run away, and the fact Melissa was also in foster care, people assume there was difficulties. This is a whole other area to the case, which I'm sure will be examined during the trial

The other child abductions all involved English children and the English tabloids went to town on the stories; the Irish media (as usual) copied them.
    As for "social class" differences, what would you call Sharon Matthews' family?
    Al of the recent murders in Sligo attracted publicity for a short time and were then forgotten.

Essexboy wrote: »
    The other child abductions all involved English children and the English tabloids went to town on the stories; the Irish media (as usual) copied them.
    As for "social class" differences, what would you call Sharon Matthews' family?
    Al of the recent murders in Sligo attracted publicity for a short time and were then forgotten.
    I am not quite sure where you are coming from so please excuse me. As far as I was aware there was concerns in some quarters over the level of coverage/public support at the time in that case? maybe I am wrong. But its shown itself too atypical now to compare. (to anything before it or after hopefully :eek:)
    The case of Amy Fitzpatrick in spain seems to be more comparable and fallen off the rador too. :( has there been an recent update, I haven't seen one.)
    Yes the English media and their Irish sister papers are a law to themselves, unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

tuppence wrote: »
    I am not quite sure where you are coming from so please excuse me. As far as I was aware there was concerns in some quarters over the level of coverage/public support at the time in that case? maybe I am wrong. But its shown itself too atypical now to compare. (to anything before it or after hopefully :eek:)
    The case of Amy Fitzpatrick in spain seems to be more comparable and fallen off the rador too. :( has there been an recent update, I haven't seen one.)
    Yes the English media and their Irish sister papers are a law to themselves, unfortunately.

The case of Amy Fitzpatrick in spain seems to be more comparable and fallen off the rador too
    Yes, or Ben Needham who vanished from Greece in 1991. Strong resemblances to the Madeline McCann case but completely forgotten now.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_Ben_Needham

Advertisement