Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish football this weekend, 11/12 April

• 10-04-2008 5:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭

11 Apr 2008 Bohemians :cool: 7:45 Bray Wanderers Dalymount Park
    11 Apr 2008 Derry City 7:45 Sligo Rovers The Brandywell
    11 Apr 2008 Galway United 7:45 Cork City Terryland Park
    11 Apr 2008 UCD 7:45 Drogheda United Belfield Bowl
    11 Apr 2008 Finn Harps 8:00 St Patrick's Athletic Finn Park
    12 Apr 2008 Cobh Ramblers 7:45 Shamrock Rovers St Colman's Park

Bray could be tough...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Don't forget the First Division:D

Dundalk v Waterford United
    Kildare County v Sporting Fingal
    Monaghan United v Wexford Youths
    Shelbourne v Longford Town
    Athlone Town v Limerick 37

Huge game in the First Division tonight with the top two going up against each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Good result from Dundalk last night and it's nice to have opened up a 3 point lead at the top. Good to note as well that we have taken 8 of our 14 points from top teams (Shels, Longford, Waterford and SpFi) although i am a bit dubious about calling Fingal a top team yet..

Absolutely sh!t game in the first half, we were content to play long ball to our strikers who couldn't link up together at all. We just bypassed the midfield altogether, and our only goal threats came from set pieces.
    Second half was an improvement, with Mulvenna lively as ever and on the whole we deserved the win. Cassidy's goal was class and he came into the game a bit more in the second half although i still think he hasn't fully shaken the hamstring injury yet.
    He is our best player so it only makes sense to try and utilise him as much as possible, so long ball game is a bit of a joke when your best player is 5ft fcukall and standing watching everything being knocked over his head.

Hoping Longford will take something off Shels cause i still see them as being the main threat this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

ibh wrote: »
    Hoping Longford will take something off Shels cause i still see them as being the main threat this year.
    Will be a draw or a Longford win tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

DesF wrote: »
    Will be a draw or a Longford win tonight.

I hope you're right Des!! However, i don't see a Longford win coming, possibly a draw..

I keep expecting Shels to open up on somebody and give them a serious beating but so far its not happening.

ibh wrote: »
    I keep expecting Shels to open up on somebody and give them a serious beating but so far its not happening.
    Only have one striker capable of scoring at the minute.

Anto Flood.

The rest are doing little and nowt.

Also Keddy seems not to care, and Chambers is being played out of position.

Chambers could be one of the best CMs in the First, if only he'd be played there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

11 Apr 2008 Bohemians 7:45 Bray Wanderers Dalymount Park Easy win for the Salach - Bray are awful. 11 Apr 2008 Derry City 7:45 Sligo Rovers The Brandywell Derry, but will be close11 Apr 2008 Galway United 7:45 Cork City Terryland Park Cork
    11 Apr 2008 UCD 7:45 Drogheda United Belfield Bowl Drogs
    11 Apr 2008 Finn Harps 8:00 St Patrick's Athletic Finn Park Pats, but hard work12 Apr 2008 Cobh Ramblers 7:45 Shamrock Rovers St Colman's Park Rovers by 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I tihnk Cobh could get at least a draw at home to Rovers. Bohs for a narrow win against Bray. Cork to drop points again?

How hard is your post to read?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

harps will be a tough one, they have to win their homes games. on the plus side Keane is fit :D ryan suspended.

Clarke
    Brennan Ocearuil partridge Paisley
    Kirby Fahey Lynch Keane
    Quigs o neill.

what i would like is

....................Clarke
    ....O cearuil Brennan Partridge
    Kirby Fahey Lynch Keane Byrne
    ........Quigs O neil

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Would be happy with a point against shels. Have been atrocious the last two games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

i predict another draw for cork city tonight. we might even score!

1-1 i'd say. hurray.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Are any of the games on tv?

The kick off times would unfortunately suggest not. If a game is on RTE it usually starts at 7.35 I think.

:(

I'll have a dig around though.

/edit

Nope.

none on any of RTE/TV3/Setanta.

cork city in scoring goal shocker. 1-0, john o'flynn. liam kearney gone off with a suspected broken hand.

now we've got our goal expect mathews to bring off o'flynn for the team bus which he'll put right in front of our goal..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Wow they showed a clip of the St.Pat's vs Derry(was it?) match, when the Morrison guy scored that class goal it was the best reaction I ever seen to a goal being scored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

We were muck, Bray was worse and the ref was a disaster. Whistle happy, card happy and Im convinced one of their players got booked twice.

Won 2-0, in what was our best performance of the season.

In truth the first half was Longford's, but they never really threatened.

Second half though we were super. Anto Flood is the best forward in the division by a mile, such a handful, good on the ball and takes his chances too.

Sparkey Rutherford came on at the break, and it was like a throwback to his youth. The Longofrd defence couldn't handle him.

We got one penalty, which was fairly clear cut, should have had another too. It was put away by "that wanker :)" Freeman.

Then Anto Flood made and scored our second.

That was the best football I've seen Shels play since the Premier Division winning season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Won 2-0
    :(
    "that wanker" Freeman
    :mad:

*sighs*

Handiest win ever in EL, harps are the worst team i have ever seen.

We played well but they handed us the goals by defending like 6 year olds.

Could have easily been 5 or 6 after 30 minutes. Keane came on and we looking like a team.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

bohsman wrote: »
    We were muck, Bray was worse and the ref was a disaster.
    Agree with 1 and 3, but Bray actually outplayed us towards the end and we could easily have lost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Was at the Bohs match. biggest crowd ive seen at a Bohs match.

Vibe from the crowd was that this was a walkover match and the players fell into this trap as well. Bray took the game to Bohs and should have been 2 up before The disallowed goal.

Better after the break but Bray definately deserved the point. Ger Rowe and Glenn Whelan are good players.

Bohs are really lacking in the middle and I don't see them as title contenders with that midfield and that central defense pairing.

we actually managed to score three goals in one game.. im still dumbfounded..

i wasnt in terryland but apparently city looked a lot more confident and composed on the ball and used it a lot better..

goals are here, vinny, a galway fan, posted these up on the city forum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM_CGRoRqFA

mooney's goal was a nice finish, although what was the keeper doing for our first??? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Lol at the Galway keeper. Great finish from their player too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Was at the Bohs match. biggest crowd ive seen at a Bohs match
    Certainly not the biggest at Dalymount, but biggest I've seen v Bray. Well done to the CPO (and, yes, the FAI).
    Agree about the over-confidence. It was said all week that the players would have to be up for it, and they weren't. We're badly missing Kevin Hunt's steel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Whats up with Cork City this season? why arent they blitzing their way to the top? a lot of draws and few goals, has Matthews brought his Longofrd style with him. where is John o Flynn?

When have City ever blitzed to the top?

Fahey for Ir........ :eek:

Have a stange feeling if he keeps up his current form , that line will be filled in. Not his biggest fan but cant argue with his form this season, he is doing everything that he wasnt doing concentrating for 90 mins, looking to pass, winning tackles, dominating midfield adding that to his normal game its only a matter of time till the chant gets going. Wont happen ever but on current form hes as good as any crap championship player we have.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Sparkey Rutherford came on at the break, and it was like a throwback to his youth. The Longofrd defence couldn't handle him.
    agreed, he had the energy, speed and skill of a 20 year old last night, not bad for a 36 year old! hopefully after last night he'll permanently oust that waster Keddy from the starting XI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I was in UCD playing a match yesterday and for the laugh I heckled some Drogheda players before the match. Maybe I spurred them on to victory. At least Pats are 5 points clear of them and Cork with Bohs and Derry hot on our tails, this could be a very exciting league this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Bohs are really lacking in the middle and I don't see them as title contenders with that midfield and that central defense pairing.

McGuinness seems to have kept his place after an immense performance against Rovers, Id say itll be back to Oman and Burns for the rest of the season now which should be a very steady partnership, that said that starting back 5 was the best in the league last year.
    We have a lot of decent defensive midfielders - Cronin and Hunt the best of them Id say but Joxer is the only decent attacking player in the team. I think all thats really missing is a left winger and an attacking midfielde - hopefully Turner can fulfill some of the promise he showed playing for Sligo.

Rovers lose 2-0 away to cobh.

kdjac

bohsman wrote: »
    McGuinness seems to have kept his place after an immense performance against Rovers, Id say itll be back to Oman and Burns for the rest of the season now which should be a very steady partnership, that said that starting back 5 was the best in the league last year.
    We have a lot of decent defensive midfielders - Cronin and Hunt the best of them Id say but Joxer is the only decent attacking player in the team. I think all thats really missing is a left winger and an attacking midfielde - hopefully Turner can fulfill some of the promise he showed playing for Sligo.

Neither player was able to lay off decent ball from defense.

Burns was caught for pace on occasions as well.

Oman is by a mile your best central defender and I don't understand why he wasnt playing. McGuinness is fine if its balls in the air all the time but once the ball is on the ground he is useless.

I've written off Bohs now.:p

Its between Cork, Pats & Drogheda and maybe Derry.

KdjaCL wrote: »

kdjac

enjoyable enough game, and ramblers deserved their win. shamrock were awful, brought nothing to the game. how purcell managed to put a free header over the bar from two yards out while completely unmarked is beyond me

still dont think cobh will stay up, but if they play like that every week (particularly their second half performance) they'll have a shot

We play them in richer next friday must win game for us.

kdjac

We play them in richer next friday must win game for us.

kdjac

i don't think ye'll have any problems beating them tbh. take the game to them and they'll crumble

• Advertisement

wtf lol.

btw, it was Shams, not Rovers.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Excuse my ignorance, but were Cobh playing Sligo or Shamrock? I thought it was the latter?

Good win regardless.

lol forgot about that :)

Met the sligo team on fri night in ballybofey (they stopped there for ehh refreshments), Paul Cook is my new hero :D

kdjac

few goals, has Matthews brought his Longofrd style with him.

Lol, you mean top goal scorer in the league style!!!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

A true Longford fan passed away saturday night. He was only 21 and far too young to leave this world. RIP Enda, we will all miss you.

• Advertisement

A true Longford fan passed away saturday night. He was only 21 and far too young to leave this world. RIP Enda, we will all miss you.

Very sorry to hear that Ronan

Thats very sad news, I didnt know Enda but knew of him, R.I.P Enda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

R.I.P. Enda

Just seen the penalty that Bohs were awarded:eek:
    Can't believe that was given.

Bray were robbed.

They won't win the league.

Another win for Cork tonight. 2-0 vs Cliftonville. Things are starting to click. Flynny and Mooney both on the scoresheet again. This makes this cold i have more bearable.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/0415/limerick37.html

Name change news -
    Limerick 37 to revert to Limerick FC next season:eek:....

*slow news day;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Athlone scored late at home to draw 1-1 with Kildare tonight.

Setanta Cup results

Glentoran 1-1 Derry City
    St Pats 2-0 Linfield

Advertisement