Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Petrol Scam??

Options
  • 10-04-2008 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭

This is something i've always accepted as being my own fault but maybe not.

Did you ever pump your €20 or €30 petrol into your car. You get it exactly at €20.00 on the dial and as you walk towards the pump to put the nozzle back..... up pops another 1 cent on the dial.

I've always thought that it was my own doing but maybe not. My GF waited 15 seconds after finishing pumping the petrol and like magic up pops the extra cent.

What do ya think??? Scam or is there a more plausable answer???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Dunno but it's not worth worrying about since most shop staff won't charge the extra cent.

And supposing they insist on getting €20.01 then hand them a €50 and they won't charge it as their float will be ruined

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Never seen it happen...... ever....

As said above even if they did this they would be cheating themselves out of a cent....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

I worked in a filling station for years. the pump in the forcourt only messures in cents but the forecourt controlers console will messure to the the mililitre. it rounds up so the penny could appear when you get inside.

However, we never ever charged the extra cent in cases like that, (or the extra 5 cents as it often was), way too much hassle, the boss was the same.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

This was mentioned before, ages ago. Could be a glitch in the pump rather than a scam, but I havent seen it often, and as has been said, you rarely get charged the odd few cents anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Fishyfreak wrote: »

Leaky pump nozzle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Whenever I'm paying with cash I always stick an extra 1c in. Free petrol as they never ask for it:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Fishyfreak wrote: »
    This is something i've always accepted as being my own fault but maybe not.

Did you ever pump your €20 or €30 petrol into your car. You get it exactly at €20.00 on the dial and as you walk towards the pump to put the nozzle back..... up pops another 1 cent on the dial.

I've always thought that it was my own doing but maybe not. My GF waited 15 seconds after finishing pumping the petrol and like magic up pops the extra cent.

Look at the number of litres the next time so that you can do a calculation to see. I think what is happening is that you have gone above €20 or €30 and the last few drops bring it to €20.01.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Whenever I'm paying with cash I always stick an extra 1c in. Free petrol as they never ask for it:D:D
    Thats all great in Ireland as most never charge the extra cent but I got petrol in Germany yesterday. It came to €30.01. I went into pay and the girl strongly and clearly said (in german of course) "Thirty euro and one cent please". There is no such thing as "30 will do".

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭sinlessgunner

IT'S ONE CENT!!!!!!! It's hardly a scam now oh lets nab them all for a cent, you never know, we might make an extra €2 or €3 a day........

I don't mean to be rude I'm sorry but seriously......one cent.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

I often wondered why they don't have pumps where you can dial in a monetary amount, a number of litres or a "fill her up" instruction.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

They do,im sure of it.
    I think i saw the tesco in tullamore,with 10euro,20 euro and fill fully buttons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

squibs wrote: »
    I often wondered why they don't have pumps where you can dial in a monetary amount, a number of litres or a "fill her up" instruction.

i think it's a safety thing. kids could set it going and run off or if it catches fire it's comforting to know all you have to do is let go of the handle and the flow will stop

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    i think it's a safety thing. kids could set it going and run off or if it catches fire it's comforting to know all you have to do is let go of the handle and the flow will stop
    Aye, but you would still need to use the handle to pump the petrol. Some stations have the little latch that you can click on so you do not have to press the trigger anyway so I doubt that is why.

Over in germany here they have prepay pumps whereby you put in your €10 or €20 and then you work away never having to go into the cashier at all. Don't know why they don't implement that in Ireland - maybe it is to get people into the shop to try and entice them to buy something.

Advertisement