Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

threatening letters!

Options
  • 10-04-2008 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

ok, briefly.
    I bought an apt 2 years ago. I got the local cable guy to hook up the TV(E15 a month for basic package).
    A year ago he sold out to NTL.
    NTL sent me a letter looking for direct debit details(E30 a month for the basic). I decided I didnt want the cable any more so told them to cut me off. they still send me bills every month(now $150!)
    They eventually cut me off this month and told me that my debt was going to a private debt collector. I have since recieved the usual threats (bad credit rating, solicitors letters etc).
    Personally, I did not sign any contract with NTL and told them from day 1 that I did not want their product.
    Am I liable? Could they damage my credit rating? will I have to go to court?
    any help is appreciated.,..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Did you sign a contract with the original supplier?
    Did you tell NTL in writing that you did not want the service?

If you signed a contract with the original supplier, you will probably find a clause saying that if they sold the company, your contract would transfer. However as they changed the charges over and above what would be called reasonable, you can argue that you should only be paying €15 / €16 per month until such time the contract come up for renewal.

If you put cancellation in writing, they have no right to charge you. If you didn't you need to fight based on above.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

They can't damage your credit rating, only banks can do that.

I got a letter from Eircom telling me something similar, I don't know why they said they when they can't do anything to my rating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭board om

Pythia wrote: »
    They can't damage your credit rating, only banks can do that.

I got a letter from Eircom telling me something similar, I don't know why they said they when they can't do anything to my rating.

if they take you to court and you are made pay by the court then that goes against your credit rating.

granted it would have to be enough money to make it worth their while and you would have plenty of oppurtunities to pay it along the way. but once there is a court order against you then that goes on your credit rating, and in a very bad way. its not like just missing a loan repayment, it is a really bad mark against your name.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

NTL are really slow to disconnect people - I moved house and my brother moved into my old house - he didn't want TV so I sent them a letter telling them to cancel [as per their own websites directions] Bills kept arriving at the house and 9 months later I finally got a call saying they'd been backed up and were only getting round to canceling it that week. [my brother had actually paid the bills that came in but I yelled at them until they refund all of it]

I hope you wrote them a letter telling them to disconnect as it will be alot tricker dealing with them if you didn't.

Advertisement