Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

extra for decaf

Options
  • 10-04-2008 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

another one..
    was in a coffee shop the other day, ordered a latte E3.50, then I said, I'll have a decafe latte. That will be E4.25!! Is this the norm? I didnt accept it and left...

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

? Its not unusual to be charged extra for decaf- its seen as a value added product by most cafes. 4.25 is a bit steep for a latte though, irrespective of whether its decaf or not- in my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

I remember being charged an extra 30c in O'Briens for Decaf which stunned me so I contacted corporate to suss it out and was told then it was 'speciality' coffee! Switched to West Coast Coffee for my daily doses after that but dont work there any more so had to pursuade the work crowd to provide decaf which they now do at no extra cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

kenco wrote: »
    Switched to West Coast Coffee.

Should have tried Kenco they use the same beans for their instant as they do for the ground

(Yes, I know but I couldn't resist)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Gillo wrote: »
    Should have tried Kenco they use the same beans for their instant as they do for the ground

(Yes, I know but I couldn't resist)

Boom boom!

If I had a buck for everytime I have heard that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

stek wrote: »
    another one..
    was in a coffee shop the other day, ordered a latte E3.50, then I said, I'll have a decafe latte. That will be E4.25!! Is this the norm? I didnt accept it and left...
    Fúck me, is that how much a coffee is now-a-days. Talk about steep.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

axer wrote: »
    Fúck me, is that how much a coffee is now-a-days. Talk about steep.

Where was the coffee shop though? I use 4 or 5 coffee shops pretty much in the city centre and never pay more than €3 for having it there (unless I want a super huge mug, then it's €3.20)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

kenco wrote: »
    Boom boom!

If I had a buck for everytime I have heard that one!
    Paying extra for decaf wouldn't matter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Average cost of coffee that goes into regular size cup (9 grams) = 12c

Even if decaf is more expensive due to additional processes, I'd guess avergae cost of the decaf coffee grains is at most 13c - 14c.

Do as the OP did - go to place that does not rip off!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Wow, even €3.50 for a regular latte seems expensive. Shops can charge what they want, however, it's up to you to walk away if something is too much.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Arguing devils advocate here - while you are within your rights to walk away if unhappy- surely the consumer should check how much the product costs before ordering a perishable product that is waste if not consumed immediately? Ask the price (it has to be legally displayed anyhow), and if you're not happy with the prices, walk away- before ordering something.........

• Advertisement
Advertisement