Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your thoughts...

Options
  • 10-04-2008 6:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

I am about to plan for a new project which would recommend to the consumer the most suitable mobile phone tariff for them. I've come across something very similar on the UK carphone warehouse website here.

Apart from its flaws with regards to gauging the users mobile usage details and whatever assumptions is built around, I'd like to see what you think about the the technical design of this feature. Is PHP outdated or would asp or something else be more suitable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Tony_ire wrote: »
    Is PHP outdated or would asp or something else be more suitable?

You're opening a huge can of worms with that question :)

The programming language you use is irrelevant if you are a competent programmer (or use one)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Tony_ire

Thanks for your response. What i'm trying to understand is what standard (be it asp, jsp, etc) would be the most modern/flexible/futureproof/highly regarded, for use in an application such as I described? (sorry, my web dev knowledge isnt what it should be!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Well the carphonewarehouse uses PHP, so it can't be all bad if you're going to be basing your project loosly around it. A few years ago Coldfusion was the cool kid on the block, and yet it never really took off [unfortunately...I liked it].

If you're not going to be the one maintaining the codebase, then it may not matter that much what is used to deliver the end result. Though maybe more details would help you decide. If it's a basic enough series of database queries then PHP/MySQL combo would do the trick, as well would any other language capable of interrogating your chosen database.

Java *may* be more suitable if you were going to be doing some funky mobile application interfacing, but again, details will decide what you will use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The Mighty Ken

blacknight wrote: »
    You're opening a huge can of worms with that question

I wouldn't say that necessarily. PHP is a damn site better than classic ASP. ASP.NET is more powerful again than both (arguably) but is a very different kettle of fish to PHP so you're not comparing like with like there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 dkell

Comreg offer a service like this at callcosts.ie. It's ASP based.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I wouldn't say that necessarily. PHP is a damn site better than classic ASP. ASP.NET is more powerful again than both (arguably) but is a very different kettle of fish to PHP so you're not comparing like with like there.
    I think its your kind of replies he was referring to! :) - Yes people who develop with PHP love PHP and people who develop with ASP.NET love ASP.NET - I amn't familiar with ASP.NET so can't compare but PHP is definetely capable for what you want OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If you look around you will find web applications written in perl, php, ruby, ruby on rails, j2ee, java,jsp,c,c++ and many other languages.
    Some languages may make certain things easier to manage / work with, but that doesn't make any of them redundant
    Of course there's also a matter of skills...

Advertisement