Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What to do?

• 11-04-2008 12:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this is against charter rules but a guy ive known on off for the last 4 years (on site with him, off site somewhere else) was telling me he has a gas powered AK47. I asked him what fps it fired and he had no idea what i was on about. I told him its the power output, how fast it fires. He said he doesnt know but it makes you bled at 10 feet. He doesnt know what weight BB's that do it as he isnt really an "airsofter". To me this gun sounds hot.

How does one go about telling someone that this is actually an illegal firearm?
    Ill try call up to his house over the weekend to take a rough reading or at least get the make and model.

I know if i tell him that its illegal (after i confirm it) that he will laugh and say "oh well" or something else dismissive. But im hardly going to call the cops and report it. What the hell do i do?

And i know im going to get a flood of responses saying " Oh thats illegal report it etc etc" but thats not what you do to a mate and you wouldnt report your mates either.
    And dont take the moral high ground and say you would.

Besides the fact that it is (probably) illegal, hes 24 and wouldnt be out terrorising his neighbourhood shooting cats and people etc so its not a yob were dealing with.

Suggestion? (and dont eat my arse over this, its not my feckn gun).

Anyone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭JohnReisman

Well I'm sure this post of mine wont stop other people expressing themselves freely. When you think you have got the range of opinions that you would expect then show him this thread. And believe me, if I had a mate who knew little about airsoft but had a hot aeg I would deal with it myself.

1. I would suggest he deal with it soon.
    2. If that didn't work I would offer to drop it to any shop that would downgrade it for him.
    3. Tell he has got a week or I would pass the info to the cops. Being a lazy sh1t doesnt give anyone the right to break the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 LSnK

People like to exaggerate about stuff like this. My sister volunteered to take a shot from my ~0.9J AEG at about the same distance (three metres) and I would call the result 'bleeding' if I was trying to show off like a stereotypical macho man with a cool new toy.
    I know if i tell him that its illegal (after i confirm it) that he will laugh and say "oh well" or something else dismissive.
    Obviously. Even if it's technically illegal, it's still just a airsoft gun in the end. For someone with no interest in airsoft as a sport, he's not going to take an accusation like that very seriously. It's probably just a cool toy to him.

All in all, the point of the law is to prevent harm. If he's not being a bollocks, just do your duty as a friend and tell him he could get into trouble for possessing the gun, assuming that it is over 1J. Let him bear the responsibility for the rest, he's not a child.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

to be honest, the best advise it to mind your own business if you ask me, thats not meant as an insult or anything but if hes an adult and he's in possession of what you think to be an illegally held firearm then its up to him to have the common scense to deal with it accordingly. you could end up fighting with him and looosing a friend if you start threatening with cops and everything. also posting it here might not be the best thing to do since it kinda gives the media "ammo" to twist what is said, like makes you bleed etc, im moy opinion it blurs the lines if what firearms are compared to our harmless devices. i say tell him what the limit is and let him do his own thing. if he dont it will be him thats in the sh*t and by his own doing., :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

If your his mate then you already know what you should do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Exneigh

From the looks of the shots from my AK.. I'm pretty sure it would break skin at 10 feet, it took a nice lump out of my wooden deck out me back.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

Think it was on the IAA website i read a report about 1 Joule not being enough to break the skin, twas a different story when i was shot in the hand from maybe 15 feet with a kjw Glock18c:p The blood wasnt exactly pouring out but but it did break the skin so maybe your friends gun isnt over the limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

Legally, and as per this forum's charter, he is breaking the law by owning it if it is infact over the 1J limit.

To be honest, i've never heard of a gas powered AK before, it's either a really old classic airsoft gun or something relatively new and obscure.

Either way, this thread is just opening up a can of worms best left closed, if you chrono it and it is over, then you just inform your friend he is legally required to have it downgraded or destroyed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement