Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hollywood Trials

• 11-04-2008 1:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone catch this last night? Bascially ran auditions for Irish actors so 10 could be selected to got to Hollywood for a month's acting training with some LA luvvie.

Was it just me or was the whole thing a big set-up? They auditioned 30 actors and actresses and the final 10 they selected were full of recognisable faces like Mikey from Boyzone, Mondo from Fair City, Becs from Dan and Becs and some other guy from Fair City. Just thought it was very convenient how all the relatively well known ones got through.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Thought it was decent, although skipped over to Mr.Bishop at quarter past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

The well known people were not the people with the most experience. Others were in better known films/television programmes, even though they may not be well known.

The premise of the show was to choose people who have acting experience and who serious about it. They didn't just let anyone in, you had to have experience to be considered.

Ever think that the well known people might have been better than others? From what I saw there were a lot of people who messed up. Just because someone was in Fair City or the Guinness ad doesn't mean they should be left out. Anyway, the American acting coach hasn't a clue what Fair City or Boyzone or Dan and Becs are. She wouldn't have let them through if she didn't think they were good.

Anyway, Lorcan from Fair City didn't get through and other less known people did.

Maybe they picked one or two thinking that they would get the ratings if they had a more well known person, but it's an entertainment show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭ianrush

I thought Mikey from Boyzone and his "new york" accent was hilariously bad. I'd be a bit pissed off if I was one of the contestants that didn't get through and saw him getting the gig. But overall, I thought the show was interesting and will watch it next week. Have a feeling it's just going to be more about how they all get on together in the house in LA than anything else though.

ianrush wrote: »
    I thought Mikey from Boyzone and his "new york" accent was hilariously bad. I'd be a bit pissed off if I was one of the contestants that didn't get through and saw him getting the gig. But overall, I thought the show was interesting and will watch it next week. Have a feeling it's just going to be more about how they all get on together in the house in LA than anything else though.

His accent was funny alright, definitely not New York! But perhaps he got better the next day? He has a good few acting courses under his belt but maybe it's lack of experience where he falls down.

Becs, Mikey and Mondo from Fair City were on Gerry Ryan yesterday talking about the show and it's sounded like it was hard work but that they had lots of nights out so that will probably be a big feature of the show.

I hope it goes well for them anyway, except Mikey, who is not allowed get into acting until after I revisit my childhood at the Boyzone concert!

Looks like a harmless show anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Meh, they had the burd from the snackinthemouh advert in there so they've got a captive audience of at least one now anyway..

• Advertisement

Plus going against the OP view, they got rid of "Lorcan, *tut*" from Fair City and he'd probably be more famous than most of em. I'm pretty sure I saw the guy who lost in the head-to-head with Boyzone somewhere as well.

Pigman II wrote: »
    Plus going against the OP view, they got rid of "Lorcan, *tut*" from Fair City and he'd probably be more famous than most of em. I'm pretty sure I saw the guy who lost in the head-to-head with Boyzone somewhere as well.

Here's hoping Lorcan will make a triumphant return to out screens saying "I've had enough" like his on-screen brother Darren in that ad!

Didn't see the Snack girl. Is she really in it?

Well she didn't say "I'm the snack girl" but I'd put money on it that it's her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

By any chance did anyone record this & can let me kave a copy, I have a friend who's an aspiring actor in LA who I was supposed to record this for & forgot last weeks... :(

Next episode is on tonight BTW

Well done to RTE for getting their microsite up and going a week *after* the first episode.

http://www.rte.ie/tv/hollywoodtrials/cast.html

(turns out yer one is the burd off the Snack ad.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Well she didn't say "I'm the snack girl" but I'd put money on it that it's her.

That snack ad get on my wick, but the girl seems nice, I think its a fix:eek: (the hollywood show not the ad). Although I think most thing are a fix...;) Its not too bad I suppose, I'll watch it tonight if i happen to be in front of the TV.

iMax wrote: »
    By any chance did anyone record this & can let me kave a copy, I have a friend who's an aspiring actor in LA who I was supposed to record this for & forgot last weeks... :(

Next episode is on tonight BTW

It appears to be online.
    http://www.rte.ie/tv/hollywoodtrials/video.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Yeah I saw that thanks pigman, I wanted to send him a DVD of them though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

kerash wrote: »
    That snack ad get on my wick, but the girl seems nice, I think its a fix:eek: (the hollywood show not the ad). Although I think most thing are a fix...;) Its not too bad I suppose, I'll watch it tonight if i happen to be in front of the TV.

I saw a bit of this show, it was snack girl saying she really needed to lose some weight (dont you dare ;) ) I say here going on tv saying she is fat at the same time as she is in an add for choclate goes down very well with the Choco company ad men:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

They should have called it Celebrity Hollywood Trails LOL. But it is a decent Reality TV show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Just been looking at some of the shows. Looks quite good. Mikey is quite funny. :D

Snack Girl certainly got into that audition kiss. She doesn't seem to be getting any work tho. I'd like to see some representatives from the adult movie business approach her in ep4.

Snack Girl certainly got into that audition kiss. She doesn't seem to be getting any work tho. I'd like to see some representatives from the adult movie business approach her in ep4.

Is that the blonde one?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭2-ShortDa5foot5

"My name.. is George McMahon. I may not be 6 foot tall, or 4 foot wide... I amy not have the Hollywood smile..."

Anyone see his mondo-logue? The words Car and crash spring to mind....

:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭moomoo2007

:D aye seen it was funny, cant think of guys name he's the oldest one of them there, not emmet or mondo or the younger guy(who by the way is not half bad :))..... anyway i just cant place what ive seen the older dude on? Was it a guiness ad?

• Advertisement

moomoo2007 wrote: »
    :D aye seen it was funny, cant think of guys name he's the oldest one of them there, not emmet or mondo or the younger guy(who by the way is not half bad :))..... anyway i just cant place what ive seen the older dude on? Was it a guiness ad?

Maybe.... Is he da guy from that famous Guinness ad in da 90's where ur man is dancin around like a madman to a kinda Jazz Tune??

Maybe.... Is he da guy from that famous Guinness ad in da 90's where ur man is dancin around like a madman to a kinda Jazz Tune??

Hmmm perhaps he's just damn familuar, cant place that ad at minute depends was it early 90's wud only have been a wee one :)!!!!

moomoo2007 wrote: »
    Hmmm perhaps he's just damn familuar, cant place that ad at minute depends was it early 90's wud only have been a wee one :)!!!!

Bout '94 methinks. I'll post a youtube.com link up as soon as I get outta work.
    :)

Dead on cheers :) 5 mins to hometime even more to smile about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

yeah that him alright, Joe Kenny i think his name is
    seemingly he just turned up at the auditions for the ad and did that dance and they said do it exactly like that

Mad ad, I remember buyin the song from it on tape! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I wonder are they cringing now looking at it on RTE seen as most, if not all of them are back in the land of Eire again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

"My name.. is George McMahon. I may not be 6 foot tall, or 4 foot wide... I amy not have the Hollywood smile..."

Anyone see his mondo-logue? The words Car and crash spring to mind....

:o

you'd think that with an audition that inmportant to him he would've done just a tad bit more but hey :rolleyes: their's a reason he was in Hollywood trying to get into acting

kerry4sam wrote: »
    I wonder are they cringing now looking at it on RTE seen as most, if not all of them are back in the land of Eire again

I wonder that myself. There's an interview with Audrey from the show here.

Says she's accepted a management offer but it doesn't appear that the show has transformed her fortunes or anything...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Múinteoir

I wonder that myself. There's an interview with Audrey from the show here.

Says she's accepted a management offer but it doesn't appear that the show has transformed her fortunes or anything...

It'd be interesting if they did a follow-up show. I think next week is the last episode. Mickey Graham actually comes off very likeable and down to earth; Nothing like Ronan Keating.

Múinteoir wrote: »
    It'd be interesting if they did a follow-up show. I think next week is the last episode. Mickey Graham actually comes off very likeable and down to earth; Nothing like Ronan Keating.

Mikey is great! He said in an interview that he'd love to move over there for awhile but that he has his family to consider. Same with the other guy with a child, Emmet is it?

kerry4sam wrote: »

Would they cringe? They're actors, I doubt they have hangups.

It's reality TV ffs. Do the Big Brother contestant cring realising that they are ****?

I think 4 weeks was too short. Surely 6 weeks with each other and then another 6 weeks finding jobs seeing how they are going.

Mikey is back with Boyzone, thats far more cring worthy IMO.

Elmo wrote: »

Dude, that's my childhood you're talking about there! I might cry!

:p

Didn't Mikey get a small part in some movie with some famous actor? He said so on Tubridy.

It's reality TV ffs. Do the Big Brother contestant cring realising that they are ****?

I think 4 weeks was too short. Surely 6 weeks with each other and then another 6 weeks finding jobs seeing how they are going.

Exactly. I don't find any of it cringeworthy. Acting by its very nature is cringeworthy to insecure people.

• Advertisement

Haha, ye have to laugh at that guy George. He so desperate for fame and thinks he's gonna make it but I reckon he's just another failed childstar in the making.

I liked what some dude said about him : "Don't take this the wrong way but you look like a loser".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Exactly. I don't find any of it cringeworthy. Acting by its very nature is cringeworthy to insecure people.

Is it not acting by its very nature that is full of insecure people and is cringed at by those who are not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭kittensoft1984

Its a load of crap.

Its a load of crap.

I love it when people make comments like this.

Most, if not all of the contestants are not good-looking enough to be successful actors to be honest. I would find it hard to belive that they would find work in Ireland's limited film and television industry, let alone Hollywood's talent-saturated industry. And I wasn't impressed with anyone's acting abilities. I was very dissapointed with this series all in all.

• Advertisement

I love it when people make comments like this.

They just ooze intelligent analysis, don't they.
    Most, if not all of the contestants are not good-looking enough to be successful actors to be honest. I would find it hard to belive that they would find work in Ireland's limited film and television industry, let alone Hollywood's talent-saturated industry.

Overall I'd agree, though I reckon that Emmet guy has the look and maybe the 'Dan and Becks' one too. I saw the short preview for tonight's episode, where the scrawny fella who went for the part of the buff fella on 'Days of our Lives', is being told by one of the producer/agent guys that he has to hit the gym big time if he wants to get anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

such a piss poor finale episode with the update on all of them. All of them are " planning on returning to hollywood"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 lbourkey

What? They're actors! That means they probably have more hangups than most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 lbourkey

so you have to be good looking to be an actor? Lucky for us that nobody ever told Philip Seymour Hoffman, William H Macy, John Candy etc etc that they weren't good looking enough to make it.

God, with all the talk of meeting agents and "I might sign with him" I expected something to come out of it!

Emmet has an IMDb page, but I think he made it himself! Still, it's something!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

It was a good concept I thought. The most annoying thing about it (apart from Mongo) was yer wan from Dan and Becks with the marbles in her mouth, WHAT AN ANNOYING FORCED POSH ACCENT and "oh my God" all the time. Hope she ends up in Tesco !

It said in the end that Mickey Graham and George McMahon had gotten parts in Man on the Run. I found an article on the net about the filming of this film in Belfast. No mention of the two lads though.

Maybe they are working behind the scenes? Security guards or caterers or somesuch?

Mikey Graham was on Turberity saying is is playing a RUC officer in man on the run. A bit part.

Maybe they are working behind the scenes? Security guards or caterers or somesuch?

Now, now! ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement