Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UK Ratings

• 11-04-2008 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭

Wrestlezone:
    In the U.K., for the week ending 3/30, TNA Impact did 34,000 viewers, WWE RAW did 53,000 viewres and SmackDown did 49,000.

Thats quite good for TNA compared to the established WWE.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Probably all the more impressive given the number of times Raw and Smackdown are shown on Sky, as opposed to once (maybe twice) TNA is shown on Bravo. Add in the fact that TNA has a supposedly terrible time slot - 10pm on a Saturday, makes it look good for them.

My one question on this though is - is 53000 Raw viewers on its live showing, or altogether for the week, and the same for SD on its first showing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Thats quite good for TNA compared to the established WWE.

It's not a fair comparison. Sky Sports basically show wrestling around the clock. I mean how many times will people get a chance to see Smackdown over a 7 day period on Sky or it's run down show equivalent? The answer: LOTS OF TIMES.

My point is if Smackdown was only shown once each week it would be a fair comparison to make.

Also I think we're passed the days because of the net and because of the era of wrestling that we are in were wrestling is "must see" tv for lots of people and they immediately watch the first run of a programme.

gimmick wrote: »
    P

My one question on this though is - is 53000 Raw viewers on its live showing, or altogether for the week

There's no way thats the overall figure for the week. In fact after looking at the observer update, it was the live figure.

So that does not include the show they have on Thursday. That does not include the third showing of Raw that they have on Monday afternoons. They may even show it more times than 3. It's hard to keep track. Sky Sports 3 feels like a 24/7 WWE channel sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Dickmcsavage

I would imagine that the Thursday night repeat of RAW, the first repeat as far as I know, garners the most viewers of all the times RAW is shown during the week. I think people like ourselves will tune into the live RAW or tape it but the more casual viewers, and Im sure theres more of them than us, will watch the Thursday night RAW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I would imagine that the Thursday night repeat of RAW, the first repeat as far as I know, garners the most viewers of all the times RAW is shown during the week.

Here's the full Wrestling Observer note:
    --In the U.K., for the week ending 3/30, Impact did 34,000 viewers, Raw did 53,000 live and 48,000 on the Thursday replay while Smackdown did 49,000 on the Friday airing and ECW did 46,000 on a Saturday airing

So Raw does more viewers on the live show than Thursday. That's actually very impressive for the live show to be the most viewed. So in reality Impact gets at most one-third the audience of Raw (assuming people don't watch Raw twice in a week), about the same as in the US

Is Saturday the first time in the week that ECW is shown? I thought it was on Wednesday first

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭rizzla

Fozzy wrote: »
    So Raw does more viewers on the live show than Thursday. That's actually very impressive for the live show to be the most viewed. So in reality Impact gets at most one-third the audience of Raw (assuming people don't watch Raw twice in a week), about the same as in the US

I'm guessing your not that great at math. Impact gets roughly 2/3 the audience of Raw (Live) in the UK.

Considering how new TNA is, especially to the UK market that's some excellent ratings. But, ratings mean nothing... well, it won't be cancelled anytime soon.

rizzla wrote: »
    I'm guessing your not that great at math. Impact gets roughly 2/3 the audience of Raw (Live) in the UK.

An A in the leaving cert! Impact got 34,000 viewers. Raw got 53,000 live plus 48,000 on the replay. As I said, assuming there aren't people watching Raw twice, that's at least 101,000 watching Raw. 34,000 is slightly over a third of that

EDIT: Just lookin at the ratings info website myself now, it says Heat got 41,000 viewers late night Sunday: http://www.barb.co.uk/viewingsummary/weekreports.cfm?Requesttimeout=500&report=weeklytop30 That's kinda surprising...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

You cant compare 2 viewings to 1 either you have to take the first broadcast of TNA vs the first of Raw no matter what time they air

EdK wrote: »
    You cant compare 2 viewings to 1 either you have to take the first broadcast of TNA vs the first of Raw no matter what time they air

Why? I was just talking about the overall amount of people who watch the show? Regardless, Raw getting that many viewers in that live timeslot is very impressive

Fozzy wrote: »
    An A in the leaving cert! Impact got 34,000 viewers. Raw got 53,000 live plus 48,000 on the replay. As I said, assuming there aren't people watching Raw twice, that's at least 101,000 watching Raw. .

And thats not taking into account the addition of Raw they show 5-7 on the Monday after either.

• Advertisement

you have to take the first broadcast of TNA vs the first of Raw no matter what time they air

So you think it's rational to compare Raw at 1am in the morning to TNA at 9pm on Saturday night? That's way too simplistic a measure. Your missing out on alot of the picture if you do that.

You have to compare like with like, those numbers arent even that impressive when you consider a few thousand people record the live Raw aswell not everybody is up watching all those ad breaks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Raw is on right now on sky sports 3 so its atleast shown not including shows like the bottom line etc 4 times a week. Mondays live 1am, Thursdays 9.30p, Friday 4pm and the Monday early in the day before the live show that night.

You have to compare like with like,

Of course you can compare like with like (even though there's a world of differences between the two). It leads to misleading, incorrect conclusions though.

9pm on Saturday evening rules out alot of the 18-35 bracket doesnt it?, either way it's good news for TNA

You have to compare like with like, those numbers arent even that impressive when you consider a few thousand people record the live Raw aswell not everybody is up watching all those ad breaks

I was curious about this so I checked that website. They monitor all VCRs and DVDRs of the people participating, so if someone watches a recorded program within a week of when it was taped that gets counted as if the person watched it live. I doubt many people would wait over a week to watch a recording of Raw so the figures for the live Raw include recordings. Makes a bit more sense

Impact often isn't in the top 10 most viewed programs on Bravo though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

I don't think the Bravo late night reputation helps TNA either. TNA is repeated on Sunday mornings and on Saturdays sometimes twice on Saturdays. So you have to compare all Impacts vs. all Raws. The point is that TNA are doing quite well for a show that hasn't had good UK exposure up until last year along with the fact its on Bravo. You can see why TNA decided to do a UK tour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Not to mention Bravo +1. Impact is probably on more than Smackdown and Raw together

So you have to compare all Impacts vs. all Raws.

I'm willing to bet 20 euro they're getting no more than 1/3 of the overall Raw viewership including all of their repeats. To be honest with the figures we have, it's a logical conclusion to make when you look at the misely figures (compared to other digital stations) that make up Bravo's top ten most viewed list.

And thats not a knock on TNA. It's just your original post in the topic is very misleading which was my point from the beginning.

Here's ratings for UFC's last events. It's not a perfect comparison but they are both on Bravo and both start at the same time albeit one on a Saturday and one on a Sunday.

http://www.barb.co.uk/
    UFC 82: 94,000 Number 1 rated show for Bravo that week.
    UFC 81: 102,000 Number 1 rated show for Bravo that week.
    UFC 80 was on Setanta.
    UFC 79: 111,000 Number 1 rated show for Bravo that week.
    UFC 78: 61,000 Number 4 rated show for Bravo that week.

If TNA were on Sky it would match WWE in the ratings. The problem is Bravo and its not only poor reputation of Bravo but the lack of popularity for the channel. It is a step up from The Wrestling Channel though.

• Advertisement

If TNA were on Sky it would match WWE in the ratings. The problem is Bravo and its not only poor reputation of Bravo but the lack of popularity for the channel. It is a step up from The Wrestling Channel though.

UFC don't seem to have a problem competing with the WWE on Bravo based on the current figures for their events which I posted. Now to be fair to TNA, UFC have had a longer stint with Bravo starting around 2005 I think.

The message is though that if you have an event or show that people are interested in, they'll find it.

WWE PPVs draw about 100,000 BUYS(No Way Out) on Sky.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Don't forget that Sky Sports is a subscription channel and Bravo is a free to view channel for most, that makes the WWE number even more impressive imvho

My point was that PPVs will draw higher than TV.

WWE PPVs draw about 100,000 BUYS(No Way Out) on Sky.

What do you mean by buys? It was on Sky Sports 1 not on ppv. It did a live rating of 149,000 viewers. Your all over the place in this thread.

I take the last point you made. If you have a ppv that people are interested, it should draw better than your run of the mill tv. Remember though too that those UFC shows on Bravo are 3 hours long (in comparison to TNA's 2) so they are doing pretty well to get the average audiences they are getting for that length of time 9 to 12 pm, even if they are ppv calabre shows.

Sorry I rushed that point a little. They normally get around 100,000 buys and No Way Out on TV got 149,000 as you mentioned.

I'd be interested to see what TNA PPVs get.

Sorry I rushed that point a little. They normally get around 100,000 buys and No Way Out on TV got 149,000 as you mentioned.

I don't understand the buys thing you keep saying. It was free on tv so nobody had to buy it on pay per view.

I mean the ones that they charge 21.95 on Sky Box Office for.

• Advertisement

I mean the ones that they charge 21.95 on Sky Box Office for.

Well I'd love to know where you got the 100,000 from. I've never seen ppv figures for the UK released for pro-wrestling.

I've seen domestic (that being the US) versus international (everywhere except the US) breakdowns of WWE buy rates but never a UK specific one. Of course the UK would make up a significant proportion of international buys but they are strong in other countries too.

I read it months ago that I that they can range from 80 to 100 thou. But that may be that Sky normally show the big 4 on PPV.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Dickmcsavage

Can't believe an argument about ratings in the UK and Ireland has gone on for 3 pages! Is there anyone else who couldn't care less about ratings? As long as I get to watch RAW once a week I'm happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭rizzla

Can't believe an argument about ratings in the UK and Ireland has gone on for 3 pages! Is there anyone else who couldn't care less about ratings? As long as I get to watch RAW once a week I'm happy.

+1, just replace Raw with Impact for me.

Advertisement