Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lifespan of Bright h7 bulbs

Options
  • 11-04-2008 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,664 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any views on this?

I got a set of Halfords +50% ones last year for my dipped beams when they were doing a 2 for 1 offer (still cost €30). They were an improvment, but barely lasted 12 months and blew within days of each other. As I needed bulbs and halfords wanted €60 for 2, I got a set of cheap and cheerful +50% bulbs in my local motor factors for €15. They lasted about 2 months and also blew within days of each other.

Considering the main bulbs are on the car since before I got it, and they get more punishment being flipped on and off all the time I don't think there is a prob with my alternator or the voltage in th car.

Eitherway I have standard halogens in the car at the moment and have Philips "X-treme power +80%" ordered from ebay for about €30. How do people find these high intensity bulbs and particularly their lifespan?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

In my experience I find the life expectancy of bulbs like the weather - totally unpredictable.

I've had cheap motor factor builbs lasting from a couple of months to lasting 2 years + in various cars. Found no lifespan patern to any particular brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

perhaps the problem is not the bulb - do you fit them yourself? if so are they being fitted correctly - i have a friend who puts them in upside down all the time every time. also ensure you are not touching the glass part of the bulbs. I have my lighs on all day everyday cant remember the last blown bulb i got.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,664 ✭✭✭maidhc

JoeySully wrote: »
    perhaps the problem is not the bulb - do you fit them yourself? if so are they being fitted correctly - i have a friend who puts them in upside down all the time every time. also ensure you are not touching the glass part of the bulbs. I have my lighs on all day everyday cant remember the last blown bulb i got.

Definately fitting them correctly and not touching the glass, and not doing it in the damp etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Bulbs blowing is like another poster said, like the weather, and unfortunatley is the bane of driving sometimes. Also a cost we could do without, considereing the cost of H7 bulbs.

If you are looking for new ones, that serve you well and last you long, i would suggest a set of Osram bulbs. I get mine, 30euro for a pack of two, and they are the best i can find.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/products/213003/osram_night_breaker.html

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

Keep your headlight glass clean as a build up of dirt can cause overheating and reduce bulb life

• Advertisement

If you are looking for new ones, that serve you well and last you long, i would suggest a set of Osram bulbs. I get mine, 30euro for a pack of two, and they are the best i can find.

How long have you them fitted?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

About 5 months now, i replaced the 2 fogs, and the 2 headlights. There was only cheapo crap in them before. Still as bright as the first day i bought them.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I recently bought Osram Nightbreakers (eBay) and the rated lifespan is about half of a normal bulb according to the graphic on the box (which I don't have with me). IIRC it is circa 200-250 hrs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I've used 80 watt dips for years. Not as bright as HIDs probably, but I had no problems with them in any way. Never had any blow and have had cars for up to 3 years with them in.

(Nobody quote UK law about 55w bulbs please)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

parsi wrote: »
    I recently bought Osram Nightbreakers (eBay) and the rated lifespan is about half of a normal bulb according to the graphic on the box (which I don't have with me). IIRC it is circa 200-250 hrs.

That's not a lot ...roughly one autumn and winter (depending on how much you drive, of course)

• Advertisement

JHMEG wrote: »
    I've used 80 watt dips for years. Not as bright as HIDs probably, but I had no problems with them in any way. Never had any blow and have had cars for up to 3 years with them in.

(Nobody quote UK law about 55w bulbs please)

Any probs with the lens yellowing? Is it a glass lens? Had 100w in the mondeo before and there was no hassle. I had to put the 55ws back in to get it though the NCT, but must get a set of 100ws for it again. 80w sounds like a good balance though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

maidhc wrote: »
    Any probs with the lens yellowing? Is it a glass lens? Had 100w in the mondeo before and there was no hassle. I had to put the 55ws back in to get it though the NCT, but must get a set of 100ws for it again. 80w sounds like a good balance though.

All lenses have been plastic.

If glass lenses yellow it's cos the lacquer on them is yellowing. It can be stripped and new lacquer sprayed on. The Integra was prone to it, tho mine wasn't affected. I didn't use brighter bulbs in it tho as the bulbs were H4H, and had to be ordered from Japan.

Have passed several NCTs with 100/80w bulbs -- the 55w thing is UK only.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

peasant wrote: »
    That's not a lot ...roughly one autumn and winter (depending on how much you drive, of course)

I was a bit shocked all right when I did out the math.

parsi wrote: »
    I was a bit shocked all right when I did out the math.

That would correspond with my experience with the Halfords (stamped GE) bulbs.

Advertisement