Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video Conversion Method

Options
  • 11-04-2008 10:17am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey,
    Does anyone know of a system using PHP that would allow a user to upload a video file from their PC and then convert it into a more appropriate file for online viewing? Something similar to YouTube.

Suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

You know, I'd be very surprised if YouTube were doing video conversion on upload. Personally, how I'd tackle it would be to have a separate conversion application running on a different server and either cron job the conversion of videos uploaded to a specific folder, or add the newly uploaded file to a conversion queue.

PHP is very unlikely to have an application to do this, you would probably have to call something like ffmpeg from your page.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

As far as I am aware, when you upload a video like avi to YouTube it convers it into an FLV format. Iv googled but cant seem to find any scripts just programs for Windows to convert on your PC and then upload.

Advertisement