Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to avoid cork city?

Options
  • 11-04-2008 10:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

hi there!
    driving from limerick to skibbereen this afternoon(done it before)
    but i go through the city and it adds about 40mins to my journey.
    any way to get onto the bandon road by any other means?
    thanks in advance
    john

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭johnnyboy4711

Is this a possiblity?
    just wondering what the road is like?
    thanks
    j

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

you could go via Blarney - to Ballincollig and onto the Ballincollig bypass that hooks up with the South Link at Dunnes in Bishopstown.........

cjmcork wrote: »
    you could go via Blarney - to Ballincollig and onto the Ballincollig bypass that hooks up with the South Link at Dunnes in Bishopstown.........

but would i be very close to cork city this way?
    i took another route before ( as supposed to queing up along the quays for 40mins+) it involved going through next to housing estates.is this the south link your talking about?it took longer than the quays option on fridays anyway.

keep it coming though!
    thanks
    john

you won't go anywhere near the city - turn off for Blarney and follow the signs for Tower and Cloghroe, there should be signage for Ballincollig - once you're in Ballincollig, get onto the bypass and it takes you right out to the arse-end of the South link - you won't go on this at any point either and this links up with the main road for West Cork..........

thanks a lot!
    will let you know how i get on!
    j

• Advertisement

good luck - watch out for the signs for Clon and Bandon or even just West Cork - the signage isn't great - but stop anyone and they'll tell you (the hardest issue will be getting from Cloghroe to Ballincollig, but again people will be out walking so stop them) - don't turn off for Killarney though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

thanks a lot!
    will let you know how i get on!
    j

You must still be driving?:rolleyes:

all went well until the missus told me to take a left coming onto sarsfields roundabout!!!
    back into feckin town!quick turn at nest roundabout and back again!
    anyway the route is as described and very good in avoiding the quays!
    thanks
    john

all went well until the missus told me to take a left coming onto sarsfields roundabout!!!
    back into feckin town!quick turn at nest roundabout and back again!
    anyway the route is as described and very good in avoiding the quays!
    thanks
    john

jaysus man - you shouldn't have even come near the sarsfield road roundabout - you went one roundabout too far - if you've hit Wilton, you've gone too far.........don't listen to the Mrs in future, listen to me!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭deemy

Couldnt johnnyboy have missed all the roundabouts and innishannon if he had taken the backroad from ballincolling to Bandon ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

He wold definitely get lost unless he had driven it before, imagine trying to give a Limerick man directions to get from Ballincollig through Kilmurry and onto Crossbarry and into the top of Bandon? The missus would have him going left and right everywhere! He took the best route and fair play for getting there as its easy to get lost with that route

Advertisement