Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

HPI Check

Options
  • 11-04-2008 10:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

Quick Question.

I want to do a HPI check for a friend who's looking at a car.

I've done them before, but that was on eBay which has a straight click through from the ad.

I thought all I'd need was the Reg number to do it. But on the website, they are looking for :

The Chassis Number
    The Milage
    The V5 Document serial number
    The registration date on the V5

The problem is, the seller (who is here in Ireland) is claiming that he doesn't have the V5. (which of course is one of the main reasons my friend wants to get a HPI check done)

Anyone know how I can get a HPI check done on just the Reg and chassis number ?

The website I was trying is : www.hpicheck.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

i rang them recently its a lot easier and only takes a few minutes.
    i couldn't do it online because it wouldn't accept my address.
    all i needed over the phone was
    Registration number
    The Chassis Number
    The Milage is optional i would think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

If you are buying from a bloke here in Ireland with a UK Reg car, he's obviously a trader..........and you are going to wind up making moeny for him!

Go to the Uk, More choice, more savings, MORE FUN!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Do you need the V5 form from the car when paying the VRT and registering the car in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

bazz26 wrote: »
    Do you need the V5 form from the car when paying the VRT and registering the car in Ireland?
    If you don't have the V5, there is another form you can get from the DVLA. I had to get it a few years ago. As far as I remember it was called the Certificate of permanent export or something like that and it had all teh details on it needed by the VRT office. Only problem at the time was, because there was such a back log at the DVLA, it took about 12 weeks to get.

But he's aware of this and just wants me to HPI it for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Ive used MyCarcheck.com several times. Cheap and works with Irish Visa cards. You only need the Reg number.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Ive used MyCarcheck.com several times. Cheap and works with Irish Visa cards. You only need the Reg number.
    Nice one Matt. That's the job.

Turns out the car was a Cat B write off last year.

The seller says it's because of flood damage.

I told yer man to run away, very very very fast. Amazingly he is still thinking of buying it because it's so cheap. But sure that's his own look out. I've done my bit.

Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

It could well be flood damage, also it could well be two different cars glued together. There's a reason why it's so cheap, and there's a reason why it's here, not in England. Money money money, i'd run for da hills, or for the next boat from rosslare and get one myself that wasn't crashed.

Best of luck with what ever happens.
    LM

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Flood damage can be a world of pain, electrics, mechanics become a disaster. Tell your friend not to be blinded by the price. It's cheap for a reason.

Advertisement