Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Access Point ... need some direction

Options
  • 11-04-2008 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

OK, here is where I am at...

Have a Voyager 2110 and I want to set up an wireless AP in another room, but I need it to do a number of things..

- Increase the wireless signal (taking this as a given)
    - Have some wired connection slots (to connect to other PCs, etc in other room with the cable)
    - Need it to be compatible with a 10Mb connection

Any recommendations on what make or model I can get that will do all this? :confused:

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Your laptop limits the distance / signal. Thus there is little you can do with the WiFi point other than careful positioning or have two (say ch3 and Ch9) in different locations with EXACT same SSID, WAP password etc (Static IP will work better / faster for "roaming").

An ethernet WiFi router (sometimes miscalled Cable Routers) and don't use the ethernet WAN port (Or DSL router but less flexible). Disable the DHCP and WAN port. You don't need any router functions. Set it to a different IP on same subnet as the original router.

Sitecom, Dlink, Netgear, Linksys etc..
    Argos, Maplin, PC World, Expansys.ie, Komplette.ie dabs.ie

I've not seen bare switch + airpoint lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 mossyd

Thanks Watty,

Yes I have seen alot of different ones but I do not know if I can get a wired and wireless AP in one..

I'll keep on lookin. If anyone has this setup, or other ideas, let me know. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

As Watty says, Just get any 4 port wireless cable router, but don't use the wan port, instead use one of the other 4 ports as the input. Tape over it so as nobody uses it. Diable DHCP, this will disable the routing part of the router. This will turn it into a 3 port access point. Give it an ip address within the range.

This works, I'm using a dlink in the same way as access point only.

Advertisement