Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what console to buy gta 4 on

• 11-04-2008 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

i'm just wondering what console to buy gta4 on as i have a ps3 and 360.at the moment i'm leaning towards the 360 cause its what i use most anyway.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

360 for me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Have ps3 and 360, but there's no competition. 360 version - better controller, achievements, DLC etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Indie18 wrote: »
    i'm just wondering what console to buy gta4 on as i have a ps3 and 360.at the moment i'm leaning towards the 360 cause its what i use most anyway.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055270665

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Both versions will be basically the same, no major difference. If you want to play gta IV online, then you'll need a gold Live account to do so on the 360(which you may or may not want to get) while for the ps3 it's free. Then of course you have the extra DLC on the 360 but not on the ps3.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

If the games are both the same then its 360 for me because i like the achievement challanges on the 360

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Will the DLC be free on 360?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I would seriously doubt that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

jayteecork wrote: »
    Will the DLC be free on 360?
    unlikely if microsoft would like to recoup the $50 mil they paid for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭brennaldo

well look at it this way, on the ps3 you can use cheats and GTA has always been a PS kind of game, where as on the 360 you can get achievements and its probly a better online game also........................................personally im unsure aswell so you know what you should do................... FLIP A COIN

also whats DLC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

brennaldo wrote: »
    well look at it this way, on the ps3 you can use cheats and GTA has always been a PS kind of game, where as on the 360 you can get achievements and its probly a better online game also........................................personally im unsure aswell so you know what you should do................... FLIP A COIN

also whats DLC
    DLC is Downloadable Content. There's extra content you'll be able to download in August.

• Advertisement

brennaldo wrote: »

I never played a GTA game on the xbox, but there is no reason as to why the 360 version won't have cheats, of course it will.

Don't forget that Sony are introducing there own achievements thingy soon, so expect GTA IV to be using that when it comes out.

The game will be the same online for both the 360 and PS3. The only difference between each version is the exclusive downloadable content that the 360 will have, the free online gaming that the ps3 will have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

As we've seen in the past, a particular game can play very differently on the 2 consoles, Half life orange box being a case in point.There are a few things to take into account in terms of gta4.

Size: It's assumed that would be a fairly large game to squeeze onto a disk.The ps3 has a huge advantage in this field.A blu-ray can hold about 25gb.A dl-dvd can hold just 8.5gb.That is a huge difference..It probably created a dilemma for rockstar.They had to make the two versions the same.They surely had to SQUEEZE it to the limit to fit it on a dvd for the xbox360.How good a job they did of fitting it remains to be seen????

Performance: Mass effect(360), apparently increased the risk of a 360 console gettin the rrod.Gta4, presumably would ask as much or more of a system as mass effect.Could lead to problems.....Ps3 should be able to handle it

Multiplayer: Now one of a games most important components IMO.This game will be so hyped that people WILL be buying a console especially for it.Will they be happy about having to pay another 60euro a year just to play it online??No worries with ps3

DLC: As good as confirmed to be totally 360 exclusive.What will this dlc consist of??Will it be enough to attract ppl to buy it for 360 instead of ps3??It will almost certainly have to be paid for.MS did pay 50million$ for it for gods sake????

The delay:Apparently, the reason gta4 has been delayed 6 months is because of the ps3 version.Why is this??Was the problem rectified properly???

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

Benzino wrote: »
    I never played a GTA game on the xbox, but there is no reason as to why the 360 version won't have cheats, of course it will.

yeah but if you use cheats on 360 it disables the achivements (only right by the way) on most games so if you want to use cheats and get achivements your screwd

yeah but if you use cheats on 360 it disables the achivements (only right by the way) on most games so if you want to use cheats and get achivements your screwd

Can you not just set up another user account? Again I don't know, im just guessing as I have never use cheats on my 360 games (dont play it much).

are people that shallow that they care so much for achievement points, christ there's a game to be played enjoy it like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭brennaldo

put it this way "indie18" you said you like using your xbox more so isnt that your answer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

PC ALL THE WAY!!!!

yes, I know it's not a console, it's better :P

the_syco wrote: »
    PC ALL THE WAY!!!!

yes, I know it's not a console, it's better :P

i asked ps3 or 360 not pc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Bros123

Benzino wrote: »
    Can you not just set up another user account? Again I don't know, im just guessing as I have never use cheats on my 360 games (dont play it much).

Yes just set up another account if you want to mess around with cheats and keep your main account for playing the game properly!

Again just to clarify, both versions will be the same. I have read that the 360 version has more vibrant colours while the ps3 version has better anit-aliasing (less zagged edges). Whether this is true or not remains to be seen, but if it is, again it's no big deal.

Will you be playing online? Do you mind paying to play online? What version will most of your friends be playing on? Other then that, the MP will be the same. PS3 version might have dedicated servers, but I doubt it.

Also, is the exclusive DLC important to you?

I think if you ask yourself these questions you will discover which version you want the most. And you never know, if you want it the day it comes out, you might not even have a choice on which version you get, after all there are more 360's sold then ps3, so it's safe to say more 360 copies will be sold.

As for the initial delay, yes it was mainly due to PS3, but it's a well known fact that even the 360 had frame-rate issues about a month or so before it's initial release. PS magazines have played the PS3 version and have said nothing about poor performance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Elem

Xbox 360, for sure.. game was built for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

360 of course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Getting it for the 360 and PS3 myself...:D
    Was originally going to settle for the 360 version, but for the sake of €40 thought I might as well just grab the PS3 version too.

Cremo wrote: »
    are people that shallow that they care so much for achievement points, christ there's a game to be played enjoy it like.

achivements for most people are not about being shallow its about having something to go back and play a game for again and "ENJOYING" it again.

suppose it's how one pervieves enjoyment, i don't know but given silly little targets to do that don't progress the story line one bit just seem to annoy me.

i'm not just talking about GTA here btw.

suppose it's how one pervieves enjoyment, i don't know but given silly little targets to do that don't progress the story line one bit just seem to annoy me.

thats fine but there are plenty who would be on my side of this as there would no doubt be plenty who are on yours its just one of those things.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

i'm not just talking about GTA here btw.

As long as an achievement is "achievable" and adds to the game then its niec to see it flicker up on screen when you get it. Games like Burnout Paradise have great achievement systems.

However i absolutely despise sandbox achievements (e.g. pick up 50 flags or 100 stars) as they really dont bring any excitement or fun to achievements and are best left alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I was listening to a video podcast on some gaming site, and they suggest that Rockstar still have the PS3 in mind when making this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,944 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I heard the ps3 version has more cars and people on the streets. :( I could get either but I'd much rather get the 360 version for the DLC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

the_syco wrote: »
    PC ALL THE WAY!!!!
    i asked ps3 or 360 not pc

Yeah, bloody stay on topic the_syco.;)

Xbox360 for me despite picking up a PS3 on the weekend.
    I like the idea of the DLC. An extra 10 hours content per pack is rumored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

It seems like a more people are going to be picking this one up on 360 for the achievements and the DLC.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/04/14/poll-results-achievements-dlc-main-reason-to-pick-gta-iv-for-x/

As for the poster who wants it on PC, I hope you are a patient man...

Whats the likelihood that it'll be better on one console than the other????? generally, that is, forget about DLC.I also feel like mentioning that microsoft are doing all in their power to make this game look like an exclusive.Anyone agree??Not just the DLC either.The new ad of the game.I've only seen the ad a few times but everytime i've seen it its followed by the bit advertising the 360.To the ordinary joe soap, from that particular ad, anyway, it would appear that its a 360 exclusive.This "flash our cash" tactic from microsoft puts me off buying it for 360.I have both a ps3 and 360 and i aint made up my mind yet.I hope thay are'nt doing that to divert attention from the fact the ps3 is more powerful and it may run better on it???
    iI'm in no hurry to buy the game anyway.I got my LC in june and i dont think GTA would help my cause:rolleyes:I'm gonna wait to see some reviews b4 makin up my mind....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Trapattoni

I would say theyll be identical but you're dead right microsoft have made the absolute most of GTA4 release- advertising the machine for sale to use with GTA every night now

Very clever - half the country game players like myself are buying a console (having long gone off them for love of pc) solely for GTA.

And of course then it comes down to PS3 or 360?

well for the difference of at least 200euro it HAS to be the 360...which by the way is thought of by many to be a better option (more games etc)....whether thats true or not I dont care - I just know this is a safe bet for the likes of myself!

Booked GTA4 on Gamesnash last night - buying 360 next week!

Very tempting alright, for ppl who dont currently have a next gen consiole.All they need is an arcade xbox for 200, a copy of the game for about 50 and a 10e hdmi lead anthere playing gta4 i HD.Good overall value, it must be said

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Very tempting alright, for ppl who dont currently have a next gen consiole.All they need is an arcade xbox for 200, a copy of the game for about 50 and a 10e hdmi lead anthere playing gta4 i HD.Good overall value, it must be said

But you will need a hard drive for the downloadable content remember!

• Advertisement

and you also have to fork out whatever amount for the microsoft multiplayer tax.

it all adds up tbh

Bros123 wrote: »
    But you will need a hard drive for the downloadable content remember!
    there's also an optional Hard drive install to make the game run better, why anyone would buy an arcade 360 is beyond me, apart from being skint of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Trapattoni

Ah dont ruin it Cremo

In fairness Ill be getting the Premium 360 and will most probably have a go of the online version but I still think its better value than paying €400 plus €60/70 for the game itself

ShaneU wrote: »
    there's also an optional Hard drive install to make the game run better, why anyone would buy an arcade 360 is beyond me, apart from being skint of course.

There is no optional hard drive install on the 360.

There is no optional hard drive install on the 360.
    Yes there is, confirmed by previewers who played the game.

• Advertisement

Umm yes there is.

Link?

Link?

want a link to the podcast I heard it on? http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/865/865585p1.html

want a link to the podcast I heard it on? http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/865/865585p1.html

Microsoft have said that is not going to happen.Google it.

This is from a google news search,1 minute ago,top page.

http://www.talkxbox.com/article2564.html

Microsoft have said that is not going to happen.Google it.

This is from a google news search,1 minute ago,top page.

http://www.talkxbox.com/article2564.html
    *Sigh* that's just more waffle from MS PR, It's an optional install, yes technically you could do all the things they list there straight away, but you'd be better off installing first to improve the frame-rate.

look http://www.gamerevolver.com/articlenav-112-page-2.html

The review states that there is a mandatory, 10 min install on GTAIV for the PS3, and an optional install on the 360. The review also comments that the 360 version runs a bit choppy, with pop ins and frame rate issues without the install, although hardly noticeable. here is there quote:

"When popping the disc into the PS3 for the first time, you’ll have a brief installation. Don’t worry, it only takes ten minutes or so, and there’s a pleasant bit of GTA history trivia to keep you occupied. So, unlike with Devil May Cry, you’ll be able to eat your sandwich prior to playing the game. On the 360, this installation is optional if you have a hard drive. I advise to proceed with installation—it reduces the already minimal frame rate issues on the 360. When the game finally begins, you’ll be treated to the best opening credit sequence I’ve seen for a game in a long, long time."

I despair some times.

*Sigh* that's just more waffle from MS PR, It's an optional install, yes technically you could do all the things they list there straight away, but you'd be better off installing first to improve the frame-rate.

The review states that there is a mandatory, 10 min install on GTAIV for the PS3, and an optional install on the 360. The review also comments that the 360 version runs a bit choppy, with pop ins and frame rate issues without the install, although hardly noticeable. here is there quote:

"When popping the disc into the PS3 for the first time, you’ll have a brief installation. Don’t worry, it only takes ten minutes or so, and there’s a pleasant bit of GTA history trivia to keep you occupied. So, unlike with Devil May Cry, you’ll be able to eat your sandwich prior to playing the game. On the 360, this installation is optional if you have a hard drive. I advise to proceed with installation—it reduces the already minimal frame rate issues on the 360. When the game finally begins, you’ll be treated to the best opening credit sequence I’ve seen for a game in a long, long time."

I despair some times.

My friend,that review you are quoting to me has been exposed as a fake and I posted that here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=55607396#post55607396

And here is that review "reviewed again":
    http://www.cgreviews.com/

As you can see he has marked out all the bull**** he plucked from thin air.

Despair Indeed.

"Run better", thats a pretty broad term if you ask me.I'm sure that i heard that rockstar themselves said, that after the initial load on start up, you could go throught the entire game without a single load scene.Can anyone alse verify this??What exactly would "run better" mean, better graphics, smoother motion....????

definitely smoother motion would be my take on "run better".

tbh if i was buying this on a 360 i'd want the game to run entirely off the hard drive. i can see a load of borked consoles with red lights if it has to access it's blu-ray dvd all the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I have neither console so will be buying one for this game.

Leaning towards the ps3 at the minute, depends on what price the ps3 + Gta4 pack is.

I despair some times.

I see you haven't found any reliable source to back up your claim.

*Sigh*:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I should be able to compare and contrast the differences, as I'm getting it for the 360 and the brother getting it for the PS3

• Advertisement
Advertisement