Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PFA Players' Player of the Year Awards

• 11-04-2008 12:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭

Top Category:

Adebayor
    Torres
    Ronaldo
    Fabregas
    James
    Gerrard

Youth:

Ronaldo
    Torres
    Fabregas
    Agbonlahor
    Richards
    Young

Ronaldo double for me, but I really think it's ludicrous that Ronaldo and Torres are included in the young players award.
    It really should be capped at age 21-22.
    I think Fabregas or Young deserve that award.

Also, I think it's amazing that Chelsea don't have any players in there, despite still having a fantastic chance to win the league.

Also, I think it's an absolute joke that Ferdinand isn't in there. He has been Uniteds 2nd best player by some distance.

Who would you pick? 189 votes

Adebayor [Senior]
    0%
    Torres [Senior]
    1%
    Pepe LeFritsgustavoHawk Eye 3 votes
    Ronaldo [Senior]
    6%
    Thanx 4 The FishPepe LeFritskaimerasuper_furryzAbbomachiavellianmeIrishMikemayordenismickslpool2k05gustavoHawk EyeCantGetNoSleep 13 votes
    Fabregas [Senior]
    37%
    dardozastrofoolPHBThanx 4 The FishDont be at yourselfBounty HunterPepe LeFritskaimeraMossinspocketyAquos76ChongLafortezzaloyatemujesus_thats_greT-b0n3lordgoatRE*AC*TORIrishMikeBaZmO* 70 votes
    James [Senior]
    3%
    Mossy MonkPepe LeFritsSeanehgustavoHawk EyeXavi6 6 votes
    Gerrard [Senior]
    1%
    mike65Pepe LeFritsHawk Eye 3 votes
    Ronaldo [Youth]
    1%
    Pepe LeFritsmicksHawk Eye 3 votes
    Torres [Youth]
    16%
    dardozPHBThanx 4 The FishDont be at yourselfPepe LeFritsTuskyMossinChongLafortezzaloyatemuT-b0n3lordgoatRE*AC*TORBaZmO*UnearthlyTrizoRedorDeaddeisedevilDayshamchurl 31 votes
    Fabregas [Youth]
    14%
    Thanx 4 The Fishmike65Pepe LeFritsTuskyspocketysuper_furryAquos76zAbbojesus_thats_gremayordenisChardee MacDennisA Dub in Glasgomickslpool2k05NecronomiconandrewieMad_MaxpatmacCharliegustavo 28 votes
    Young [Youth]
    7%
    Mossy MonkPepe LeFritsKingp35Cutie18Ireland~Rebel~Mitch ConnoreventMrPillowTalkeZe^gustavoOPENROADHawk EyeROCKMANibhCantGetNoSleep 15 votes
    Richards [Youth]
    6%
    astrofoolThanx 4 The FishBounty HunterPepe LeFritsinvincibleirishIrishMikeAttractive NunMelionHawk EyeDSBAn CiteogLuckyCharms 12 votes
    Agbonlahor [Youth]
    2%
    Pepe LeFritsSeanehkaimeraHawk EyeXavi6 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Agbonlahor [Youth]
    James & Richards :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Torres [Youth]
    It has to be a Ronaldo double again.

Torres [Youth]
    Anything other than the Ronaldo double is laughable. However its also laughable that Ronaldo is in there again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Young [Youth]
    Thats a bit stupid having Ronaldo and Torres in young player catagory. Torres is 23 ffs and was captain of Athletico before he joined pool. Without trying to sound like an American, it should be a rookie competition or for players with under 2 years experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Torres [Youth]
    Exactly!

Ronaldo and Torres can compete for the big award, but Fabregas clearly deserves the young player award, and Young should at least be in with a shout.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Richards [Youth]
    Went for Ronaldo and Young but it will prob be Ronaldo and Torres just so they both get one.

Torres [Youth]
    It's done on players voting. They are asked to select the best senior player and best youth player.

What I find amazing is that United only have one, despite being top of the league, and Arsenal and Liverpool have 2, while Chelsea have none.
    Are we really to believe that there is only one candidate for best player of the year within the top 2 clubs in the league?

This smacks me as a view of Arsenal and Liverpools squads as utter ****e, who are dragged through by their talismans.

Agbonlahor [Youth]
    Yeah I'm in agreement with that. If you're in the senior category you shouldn't be in the youth one.

Torres [Youth]
    But if you win the senior catagorty but not the junior one does that mean junior player is better than you?

Ronaldos inclusion means he has to win both but it should be Ronaldo and Fabregas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Richards [Youth]
    When was this voted for? I think if done today, Ferdinand and Vidic, possibly Evra would be in there, defence usually takes longer through the season to become recognised than attackers.

I'd agree that having Ronaldo and Torres in the youth section is ridiculous.

For my money:
    Ronaldo (no contest)
    Torres (finding goals in his first season, dragging Liverpool with him)
    Fabregas (would be second or first, but has dropped off over the last few months)

Youth:
    Young is the only standout in the real youth section, Richards has been part of a defence that has fallen apart in the last few months, and gabby seems to be suffering from playing too much. I think Anderson could have had a look in here, though there hasn't been much real youth have a large impact this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭lpool2k05

Fabregas [Youth]
    PHB wrote: »

This smacks me as a view of Arsenal and Liverpools squads as utter ****e, who are dragged through by their talismans.

That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever!!

So is Utd run by their talisman Ronaldo??

Agbonlahor [Youth]
    astrofool wrote: »
    When was this voted for? I think if done today, Ferdinand and Vidic, possibly Evra would be in there, defence usually takes longer through the season to become recognised than attackers.

I'd agree that having Ronaldo and Torres in the youth section is ridiculous.

For my money:
    Ronaldo (no contest)
    Torres (finding goals in his first season, dragging Liverpool with him)
    Fabregas (would be second or first, but has dropped off over the last few months)

Youth:
    Young is the only standout in the real youth section, Richards has been part of a defence that has fallen apart in the last few months, and gabby seems to be suffering from playing too much. I think Anderson could have had a look in here, though there hasn't been much real youth have a large impact this season.

No he hasn't. He hasn't played since the end of February. Prior to that City's defence was pretty solid. It's only since he's been out that we've struggled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Torres [Youth]
    It's gonna be a Ronaldo double no doubt.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    No he hasn't. He hasn't played since the end of February. Prior to that City's defence was pretty solid. It's only since he's been out that we've struggled.
    Last 3 games he played in the league City conceded 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Did I watch a different game the other night, or did I not see Utd being utter crap without Ronaldo? What about the start of the season? Where they not also crap without Ronaldo? Join the dots ffs.....

Agbonlahor [Youth]
    BaZmO* wrote: »
    Last 3 games he played in the league City conceded 6.

Which is why these awards are based over a season and not three games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Ronaldo and Torres.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Ronaldo sweep it again though.

Torres [Youth]
    Hobart wrote: »
    Did I watch a different game the other night, or did I not see Utd being utter crap without Ronaldo? What about the start of the season? Where they not also crap without Ronaldo? Join the dots ffs.....

You mean when we beat Roma, 2nd in Serie A, 1-0 without 5 of our best players? [Ronaldo, Rooney, Vidic, Evra, Scholes]
    Utter crap is an interesting choice of words. No wait, that's being kind, it's just stupid.

That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever!!

So is Utd run by their talisman Ronaldo??

No, it's the oppossite. The view seems to be based on the idea that all of United or Chelsea players are say above average, and then there is one magical player in there this season. While Arsenal and Liverpools squad is below average, yet they are where they are because of their top players.

For me that's just a load of crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I think some credit should be given to 2 of Villa's finest for making that list which is the cream of the crop. Yet some people still doubt Martin O'Neill :rolleyes:

Ronaldo has been the player of the year in any category, Torres great too but Ronnie should walk it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Fabregas [Youth]
    Ronaldo double or Ronaldo/Torres

Can't see anything else, Fabregas maybe allthough Arsenal and himself on shocking run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Young [Youth]
    Like alot of posters, I think it will be a Ronaldo double

However I think you should not be allow into both if over a certain age or experience.
    like to see

Ronaldo== Seniors player of the year.
    Fabregas === Young player of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Torres [Youth]
    You can say Ronaldo etc shouldn't be in the young player selection but they are, and if Ronaldo wins the senior award, then there is no reason in the world why he shouldn't get the young award. Logical

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Fabregas [Youth]
    No, it's the oppossite. The view seems to be based on the idea that all of United or Chelsea players are say above average, and then there is one magical player in there this season. While Arsenal and Liverpools squad is below average, yet they are where they are because of their top players.

For me that's just a load of crap.

the only crap on this thread is whats coming forth from your mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

mayordenis wrote: »
    the only crap on this thread is whats coming forth from your mouth.
    Good thing nobody can hear him then eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Fabregas [Youth]
    I went for Ronaldo/Torres, but I agree that neither should be in the young player category.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Torres [Youth]
    Unearthly wrote: »
    You can say Ronaldo etc shouldn't be in the young player selection but they are, and if Ronaldo wins the senior award, then there is no reason in the world why he shouldn't get the young award. Logical

My thoughts exactly. It happened last year so no reason why it wouldn't happen again this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Fabregas [Senior]
    Anything other than Ronaldo double is a joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Richards [Youth]
    Ronaldo for player of the year, since its voted by the players I imagine it'll be Fabregas or Young for young player of the year. I wouldn't think many will vote Ronaldo twice like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Torres [Youth]
    DSB wrote: »
    Ronaldo for player of the year, since its voted by the players I imagine it'll be Fabregas or Young for young player of the year. I wouldn't think many will vote Ronaldo twice like.

I thought that last season but Ronaldo got them both, and he has had an even better season this year

Agbonlahor [Youth]
    Lol imagine this place if he didn't get it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Richards [Youth]
    Ronaldo obviously for both.

It's a joke that David James is in there at all, especially with the likes of Ferdinand omitted.

Agbonlahor [Youth]

It's a joke that David James is in there at all, especially with the likes of Ferdinand omitted.

United fan I presume.

How is it a joke? James' form has been outstanding this year and is probably the main reason why Pompey are chasing a Uefa Cup spot and are in an FA Cup final. Of course he deserves the recognition. Goalkeepers aren't up for these awards often enough imo.

Torres [Youth]

James has had a brilliant season.

Its a joke that people are humouring the consideration of Ronaldo to win the senior but not the Young. If he wins the senior he has to win the young.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Torres [Youth]
    Lol imagine this place if he didn't get it!

Little chance of that happening:

PaddyPower

C Ronaldo 1 - 16

F Torres 8 - 1

C Fabregas 16 - 1

E Adebayor 20 - 1

S Gerrard 33 - 1

D James 66 - 1

Richards [Youth]
    James has had a brilliant season.

Yeah, he's a great keeper. Personally I think he had a better season last year but yeah he's been good. I know it's always difficult to judge goalkeepers versus other players, but for me James hasn't even been the best keeper in the PL this season - a season that has lacked an outstanding goalkeeping performance à la Cech 2005/6 or Casillas this season.

PFA Player of the Year should reward outstanding contributions - James, for me, has been very solid (what you want from a keeper, of course), but hardly outstanding.

Agbonlahor [Youth]
    Yeah, he's a great keeper. Personally I think he had a better season last year but yeah he's been good. I know it's always difficult to judge goalkeepers versus other players, but for me James hasn't even been the best keeper in the PL this season - a season that has lacked an outstanding goalkeeping performance à la Cech 2005/6 or Casillas this season.

PFA Player of the Year should reward outstanding contributions - James, for me, has been very solid (what you want from a keeper, of course), but hardly outstanding.

Who has been then? :confused:

• Advertisement

Richards [Youth]
    Who has been then? :confused:

This is not going to do much to mask my status as a United fan :), but personally I think Van Der Sar has been the best goalkeeper in the PL this season. James is up there, as is Howard and probably a few others. But none of them have been outstanding, IMO you could interchange any of VDS, James, Cech, Reina, Friedel, Howard and a couple more around their respective teams and it wouldn't make all that much difference. Try saying that about Fabregas, Ronaldo, Torres, Ferdinand - Richard Dunne?

Goalkeepers do deserve more recognition than they get sometimes, but I wouldn't put any goalkeepers near the top 6 players of the season this year. James can't even hold down a spot in the England team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Richards [Youth]
    Great to see Agbonlahor & Young in the young players list. Gabby has been more patchy then Young so Young would get my vote! when he's good he's very good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Fabregas [Youth]
    As much as I'd love to see Torres winning it, I cant see past Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Fabregas [Youth]
    I would like to see Ronaldo win the senior and Torres win the Young player. Although I agree with other posters in that it is riduclous that they are both in the Senior and Youth categories. Nice to see James get a nomination, I think he has had a wonderful season. Would have liked to see Rio get a nomination, he has been immense this season imo.

Fabregas [Youth]
    I would like to see Ronaldo win the senior and Torres win the Young player. Although I agree with other posters in that it is riduclous that they are both in the Senior and Youth categories. Nice to see James get a nomination, I think he has had a wonderful season. Would have liked to see Rio get a nomination, he has been immense this season imo.

Utd fan that would like to see Torres winning the junior ? Unusual! :)

• Advertisement

Torres [Youth]
    I thought the young person had to be under 23, but Torres is 24?

I've no desire to see Torres win the junior, he's older than Ronaldo!! Fabregas has been the outstanding young player of the season, that is without a doubt imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Fabregas [Youth]
    Tusky wrote: »
    Utd fan that would like to see Torres winning the junior ? Unusual! :)
    Just sharing the love. ;) Plus I think its just stupid if the same player wins both awards and theres no denying Torres has had a fantastic season.

EDIT: Torres is 24, what is the age limit to the youth award! Have to agree with PHB then, Fabregas deserves it as he has been the best young player of the season.

Fabregas [Youth]
    The only way Torres would win it is if they took into account the fact that its his first season. Dont think they look at things like that.

Really cant see past a Ronaldo double. Same person winning junior and senior retarded though.

[edit] Torres has just gone 24. Maybe it goes by age at start of season as he was 23 for most of it.

Advertisement