Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VLAN ID and PVID ?? (Cisco and Netgear)

Options
  • 11-04-2008 12:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭

Hi All, i'm hoping someone could help me with this, been doing alot of searching on the internet about it and still can't find an answer,

What i'm trying to do is, setup a Netgear FS726T Managed Network Switch at on a Cisco based network, all the vlan's support IEEE 802.1Q, and the Netgear SW is updated with the latest firmware to support this.

The Netgear has a web interface and it's configured with 3 vlan ID's, each vlan shares one port 26, which is the Trunk port to the Cisco SW, however i don't seem to get any network traffic through the trunk port

P.S just to not on what i mean by Trunking, in Netgear they relate this to combining ports as one single port, however Cisco relate this as a port containing multiple vlan's.

Also has anyone else had experience connecting a Netgear switch to a current cisco stack of Switches?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

First of all is the thunk port on the Cisco SW set up correctly:

Switch(config-if)# switchport mode trunk
    Switch(config-if)# switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

switchport trunk allowed vlan 990,991,995

switchport mode trunk

yes... but do i really need

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q ?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭le_dazzler

switchport trunk allowed vlan 990,991,995

switchport mode trunk

yes... but do i really need

You need to make sure that the native (untagged) vlan is the same on both sides of the trunk. you can check this on the Cisco side with the command:

show interface x switchport

Where x is the trunk interface. I have very little experience with Netgear boxes, so i don't know how you'd check this on the netgear side, but I'd suspect this Native VLAN Mismatch could be your issue.

Also, you're probably better off to specify dot1q trunking with the command you listed above.

Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

dot1q refers to 802.1q

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

Got it!

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q was specified on the switch above, working now, but it was the configuration in the Netgear that has mislead me.
    Will explain later... Thanks for the answers ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement