Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying adds for feminie hygine products.

Options
  • 11-04-2008 1:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭

Which are the ones that drive you mad, make you cringe, made you laugh for the wrong reasons ?

I remember growing up there were no add for such things and when they started they were weird and obscure like the tampax one with the ballerina doing the dying swan solo from swan lake.

It is funny how add for such things are done differently in countries when bleeding from the crotch once a month is not such a taboo.

These two made me laugh in a good way

Esp this one, how many blokes would go out at night in the rain to buy a box of tampons ? Bless him.

I don't think that we will get to the stage were companies will go for ads like these but at least it makes you laugh rahter then looking at the same blue liquid being pour on a pad as is what is used in ads for babies nappies.

And as for this one it's clearly a spoof but it makes you wonder if men did
    have periods would such a thing be invented ?

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Well I think when they were thinking up the name for this product, they asked a 14 year old boy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

The beaver on is great. Aussie ads are always quite funny. They get away with so much more than here!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

I always hated that ad for Tampax with the doctor alban song, its my life! Went looking for it before but never able to find it! But rollarblading with a dog... My Arse!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Any of the ads where the lady in question is roller blading, running, dancing, skipping and generally looking like they've never been happier, rather than being slightly irrational or a little bit grumpy. Yeah they're trying to flog a product, but we all know what they do, and what they don't do is make you ecstatic...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

it the iraational urge to wear white clothes that I never got

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Yeah they're trying to flog a product, but we all know what they do, and what they don't do is make you ecstatic...

I don't know about that. I've been quite ecstatic on occasion when I use them.

For instance, have you ever been frustrated at not being able to quite get the inside bottom of a long glass perfectly dry with a tea towel?

Well, just pop in one of the Always and let it soak up the water for a sparkling clean finish.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Sugar Drunk

oh god the ones for the sanitary pads are cringeworthy. yes im so excited that my period arrived that I have strapped a lump of plastic to my underwear and feel teh urge to swing joyfully around lampposts while roller blading with the dog !

oh and the tampax ones for the ones wrapped in yellow plastic and the guy thinks they are sweets. i mean i dont get it, if you want to make them descreet why not make the wrapper black so it blends in with things? a bright yellow is not the most subtle color

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

the ad were the woman used a glass of wine rather then the standard blue liquid and at the end giggles stupidly and goes "Do you think using dry white wine was cheating?" AHhhhhhhhhHHHH drove me up the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭pebblesjm

has anyone tried the mooncup www.mooncup.co.uk/ thingy migigy? no more tampons or towels (MOST UNCOMFORTABLE YOKES EVER!!!:eek:) thinking of investing,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,environmentally friendly too...it's good to be green:D

Would like to see how they'd market this one tho:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

pebblesjm wrote: »
    has anyone tried the mooncup www.mooncup.co.uk/ thingy migigy? no more tampons or towels (MOST UNCOMFORTABLE YOKES EVER!!!:eek:) thinking of investing,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,environmentally friendly too...it's good to be green:D

Would like to see how they'd market this one tho:p

yep I used them after asking about them in this this thread [which I know makes some of the ladies on here go ick] I think they are great and there were adds for them all over the tub in london when I was there last month

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Ah god.. do you remember when you were a bit younger, and you are sitting there between your mam and dad when the telly starts screaming this ad:

Whhhhhhhhhaaaaooow BODYFORRRRMM! BODYFORM FOR YOUUUUU!! :D

Didnt know where to put meh head.. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

ztoical wrote: »
    [which I know makes some of the ladies on here go ick]

I don't understand how it could be any more ick than bleeding all over a nappy or shoving a bunch of cotton wool up your snatch :confused:

Anyway I wouldn't buy the tampons in the add with the applauding. I don't find it quite appealing to use a sanitary product that would give me the clap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

great quote there ms mod

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

WindSock wrote: »
    I don't understand how it could be any more ick than bleeding all over a nappy or shoving a bunch of cotton wool up your snatch :confused:

Quote of the Forum!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yeah, who the hell invented tampons? A lump of bacteria-gathering man-made fibres shoved up one's cooch for any amount of time cannot be good... My mum's a nurse and she had to examine a girl with terrible itchiness and soreness - there was a whole load of bits of crumbled tampon up there... :eek:
    I don't know about that. I've been quite ecstatic on occasion when I use them.

For instance, have you ever been frustrated at not being able to quite get the inside bottom of a long glass perfectly dry with a tea towel?

Well, just pop in one of the Always and let it soak up the water for a sparkling clean finish.:)
    LOL
    Abigayle wrote: »
    Ah god.. do you remember when you were a bit younger, and you are sitting there between your mam and dad when the telly starts screaming this ad:

:D
    That song is so hilariously OTT - it's a real "epic" power ballad. Er... yes... "perfect" for advertising sanitary towels...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Dudess wrote: »
    Yeah, who the hell invented tampons? A lump of bacteria-gathering man-made fibres shoved up one's cooch for any amount of time cannot be good...

The Egyptians the first ones were made of Papyrus.

http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/bltampons.htm
    The ancient Egyptians invented the first disposable tampons made from softened papyrus. The ancient Greeks invented tampons made from lint wrapped around a small piece of wood, recorded in writing by Hippocrates in the fifth century B.C. Other materials used for the first tampons have included: wool, paper, vegetable fibers, sponges, grass, and later cotton.

tampon patentIn 1929, the modern tampon (with applicator) was first invented and patented by Doctor Earle Haas who wanted to invent a tampon that could be effectively mass produced. Earle Haas filed for his first tampon patent on November 19, 1931. His patent description was for a "catamenial device," derived from the Greek word for monthly. He later trademarked Tampax as the brandname for his tampon product.

Gertrude Tendrich founded the Tampax company for the mass production of tampons after buying the patent and trademark rights from Earle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

Ha, brilliantly displayed. I could actually hear it while reading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

It's the "Whhhhhhhhhaaaaooow" bit that does it.

I don't mind the ads on the telly about them at all, but the bodyform one was outrageous. It embaressed everyone in the sitting room watching. My dad usually headed out to the kettle at this stage. Things havent evolved much either. Mr Abigayle will stay in the sitting room alright, but goes off into a rant about how they shouldnt show those ads on telly. To which I tell him that "these ads are for women who bleed. women dont ask to bleed for a week every month. If I didnt bleed every month you'd have another mouth to feed, so stfu." /flounces out the door. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Those subtle adverts for the femfresh type products crack me up.

• Advertisement

Mr Abigayle will stay in the sitting room alright, but goes off into a rant about how they shouldnt show those ads on telly. To which I tell him that "these ads are for women who bleed. women dont ask to bleed for a week every month. If I didnt bleed every month you'd have another mouth to feed, so stfu." /flounces out the door. :pac:

Esp when you consider that 1/2 of the worlds population is female and all will bleed at some stage and currently it's looking like at least 40 years of bleeding from the crotch from about 10 to 50.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Esp when you consider that 2/3rds of the worlds population is female

I doubt that highly

I know there are more women than men but certainly not that high.

Fixed, need more coffee.

Fixed, need more coffee.

*hands T a strong piping hot cuppa* :D

Esp when you consider that 1/2 of the worlds population is female and all will bleed at some stage and currently it's looking like at least 40 years of bleeding from the crotch from about 10 to 50.

I suspect any man that sits there ranting about those ads, would be lost on your statistics Thae ;)

When you think about it really, we are bloody* troopers aren't we??!! We are entitled to every little groan, tear, bucket of Haagan Daaz we have. Men cant even have a cold without reducing to a pathetic helpless lump. Not by any means am I starting a man-bash fest, but they arent great when they are not well. And, if you put into perspective exactly what we go through...

I've plenty of ammo for when the next ad comes on now! heh :pac:

*excuse the pun, but it works! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

slightly off topic but one word - VAGYSIL. Who in their right mind would buy a product by this name. Not me. No matter how itchy my snatch is!

It's the americans and their obsession with douching, which is pretty unhealthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

There are also menopause tests called Vielle, which is the French for old...not very nice calling a menopausal woman old :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

slightly off topic but one word - VAGYSIL. Who in their right mind would buy a product by this name. Not me. No matter how itchy my snatch is!

+1 to that!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

It's the americans and their obsession with douching, which is pretty unhealthy.

Is it? Because I'm American and while I've heard the term, I have no idea what it actually means.

I always hate the commercials where they show the blue water being dropped into the pad or soaked into the tampon. We know how it works, a demonstration is unnecessary.

Advertisement