Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Networking over the Mains limitations ?

Options
  • 11-04-2008 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I currently live in an apartment block and I'm curious to know what sort of limitations these "Network adapters over the electricity lines" have, i.e. if I plugged one into my apartment, and another into the apartment above me, could I create a network ?

OR

In the hallway of the block I live in, theres a power socket, in the next block over, is a power socket - could I technically plug one of these Mains network adapters on either end and create a Network between the buildings ?

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭CrazyNoob

My 2 cents on the matter

You'd need power modems (eg FSK power modems) and isolation transformers to start with. (not sure if they are in-build into the device you mention - however assuming they are#)

I did it a few years ago between two PC's over power lines between different rooms, problems such as
    changing impedence levels on the power lines - eg someone plugs in a device and it effects the meduim of transmission

The baud rates arent all that good anyhow! it would be far more effective and cheaper to use wireless or bluetooth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

As far as I know they only work over the same electrical circuit. It's hard to know whether two sockets are on the same circuit or not.

Google homplug and check out a few manufacturers websites. They defo can be better than wireless. May or may not work tho! Think they're rated for 200Mbps now. 802.11g (normal wireless) is 54Mbps, and the upcoming wireless standard (802.11n) is slightly faster at 300Mbps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭darraghrogan

It's my understanding that with these devices, you must be on the same circuit, as RCDs & MCBs interfere with the transmission distance... however, I think it was GE that were doin an RCD to allow data transfer through it...

Whatever about getting to another circuit in your own house, I woulnt say you could communicate from building to builing...or from your circuit, through the ESB Meter and back through the Landlord ESB meter to the landlord socket...

Wireless might be a much better solution for you

D

Advertisement