Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neil Delamare

Options
  • 11-04-2008 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭

Going to see him tonight.
    Really liked him last year at the Bud Revue.
    Kind of a similiar style to Dara O'Briain (who I love) - great observational, everyday things and smart wit.
    Anyone been to his last show in Vicar St or any other opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Don't really like him. He seems like he'd be the funny lad the pub or whatnot but I wouldn't pay to see him live. The only comedians I can stand from the panel are Dara and Colin (Colm?), the rest either bore me or just annoy me (Maxwell).

But enjoy the show :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

ill be going tonight too, hoping hell produce the goods tonight, otherwise ill stick to the sauce!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Well, he wasa HUGE let down.
    I saw him in the Bud Revue last summer in the Iveagh Gardens. Was really impressed and liked his style.
    However, he used probably 80% of the same fecking material at Fridays show!!! :mad::mad::mad:
    Really bad show considering tickets were €30 each.
    He spent the first 15mins or show just picking on the front row, and it wasn't really funny at all.
    He always would mention a funny news story, like
    'did ya hear about those long lost twins in England that ended up dating each other?' It was a humourous story to begin with, and his comments on them weren't anything special... nothing more than what you'd quip yourself if talking about them with a group of mates.

His support act (John something?) was just as bad. I saw him in the ha'penny inn, and as support for PJ Gallagher, and he did the *exact* same material.
    I'm really getting sick of seeing comedians doing the same old crap over and over!! Jaysus!!

At least I've the Big Yin to look forward to this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I'm really getting sick of seeing comedians doing the same old crap over and over!

Nature of the best though, innit?

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

he's a disastrous comedian. i supported him some months back and got a better reception from the audience than himself. his stuff is plagiarised pub jokes, then again when you have a fantastic tv career then you can spout any type of ****e nowadays. (pity he's **** at tv as well)

Colin Murphy, now there's a genius.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭stipey

I'm really getting sick of seeing comedians doing the same old crap over and over!

A headline act playing places like Vicar St does 60 - 90 minutes. For the sake of argument, let's say its 60.

Do people really expect somebody to come up with 60 new minutes each month, or every couple of months? And 60 minutes of sufficient quality too. How many ideas do you have to throw away because they aren't up to scratch?

The majority of acts aim to write a new show (i.e. 60 minutes) each year - and that is centred around the Edinburgh festival. In practice however its more of an evolutionary process rather than a sudden change from the "old" hour of material to the new one. That works out at roughly 5 minutes a month.

Don't get me wrong, people have every right to complain about the quality of material but I think complaining about the turnover rate is a little on the unrealistic side - unless the comedian in question has been doing the same material for years (yes, you Brendan Burke and maybe Ian Coppinger).

You'd harldy go to see U2 and shout "Ahh here Bono - you played 'Where the Streets Have No Name' the last time you were here. Have you no new stuff?"

(I realise a lot of people would have ended that sentence after the 6th word - but I was only using it as an example)

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

stipey wrote: »
    You'd harldy go to see U2 and shout "Ahh here Bono - you played 'Where the Streets Have No Name' the last time you were here. Have you no new stuff?"

(I realise a lot of people would have ended that sentence after the 6th word - but I was only using it as an example)

Not a very good one - You cant compare the two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Phantasm

In fairness, if a comedian has done a tour and it's now out on DVD, then in their next tour they shouldn't use the same material because it's supposed to be different.

Otherwise, it's annoying, but you can't expect too much!

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭stipey

beerbaron wrote: »
    Not a very good one - You cant compare the two.

Fair point I suppose - but then I thought the main aspect of my point was covered more than adequately in the rest of the post.

The U2 comparison was more of a throw away, tongue-in-cheek comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Don't really like him. He seems like he'd be the funny lad the pub or whatnot but I wouldn't pay to see him live. The only comedians I can stand from the panel are Dara and Colin (Colm?), the rest either bore me or just annoy me (Maxwell).

But enjoy the show :D

I'd tend to agree with most of that- he's probably basically a funny guy but a lot of his stuff kinda falls flat.
    He presents that "Just for Laughs" show on TV and he comes across as funny enough in that sometimes though.
    Good banter with the other comedians.

He had a great one there on that show about how everyone in Montreal speaks either French OR English and sometimes it was difficult to know if you should greet them with "Bonjour" or "Hello".
    But that nobody in Montreal could possibly mistake HIM as French- what with the big Irish head on him.
    He wouldn't have been surprised to hear a "how's she cuttin' " instead. :)

Incidentally can't stand that Maxwell fellow either.

• Advertisement

He's appalling on "Just for Laughs". You can even see it with some of the American comedians. basically staring at him possibly thinking "who the feck is this mick!!!!"

He's a fairly pretentious guy and to be honest he's very lucky to be where he is. Colin Murphy is by far better than him and has shown this on the Panel, yet Neil is the main host (we need people with intelligence not belligerence for tv).

His stand up is OKish but not worth the money that his agency charges. Now that's a joke.

Apologies for the rant, had a bad gig on Saturday and needed to vent the frustration.

Now John Lynn, there's a good comedian :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

A headline act playing places like Vicar St does 60 - 90 minutes. For the sake of argument, let's say its 60.

Do people really expect somebody to come up with 60 new minutes each month, or every couple of months? And 60 minutes of sufficient quality too. How many ideas do you have to throw away because they aren't up to scratch?

Agreed good sir. I'm a rookie comic myself (longest show i've ever done is 15mins) and its pretty hard to write interesting new material all the time. I need to update fairly regularly because my material gets out of date (movie references etc.), plus the regualrs at clubs I play in get tired of old jokes fast.
    People don't realise that comedians have it tough.

The majority of acts aim to write a new show (i.e. 60 minutes) each year - and that is centred around the Edinburgh festival. In practice however its more of an evolutionary process rather than a sudden change from the "old" hour of material to the new one. That works out at roughly 5 minutes a month.

I think the above is very naive as these comedians and artists are getting a phenomenal amount of money. Though it is tough to come up with a good 60 minutes of material, when you earn 2.5K to 3.5K a show (small audiences of 400-which is the norm for these comedians) then you expect these guys to put their all into this and not fanny about the place.

A professional is a person that has the skill that excels over the average person, it's what makes them better. An understanding of this skill allows a person to harness their potential and create a piece. These named comedians are supposed to be professionals but of course this is not spoken of here in ireland because comedy is stil quite small if you compare it to the UK and other countries.

I cannot accept the fact that these comedians use basically 20 - 30 minutes of new material and then edit their other jokes. It's not about evolution, a lot of these guys are just milking it or else do not have enough time to focus on comedy - either through tv or radio or lotto ads. And it's embarrassing when you look at the likes of Billy Connolly (a comedian that changed his material every night of his tour a few years back, as a bet.).

We grant our "professional" comedians too much space and to be honest they know this. I've worked with some of these guys and some of them actually couldn't care about their comedy, it's about the money.

I'm in a really ranty mood today. My apologies.

Galvasean, I agree with you about it being hard. For comedians like ourselves it is quite hard to set the bar and then exceed your last attempt. But we'll get there, drinking our cocktails at next year's cat laughs festival preparing for our one man edinburgh debuts :)

Advertisement