Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remember the computer games of the late 80,s early 90,s

Options
  • 11-04-2008 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭

can any one remember the old commadore 64,the wait for the game to load,pacman on the old wooden atari, frogger, combat, how good do we have it.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

I think you should have a look here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=94

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The good old turboloader, the groovy music and the mountains of rubbich games you had to trawl through before you got to the good stuff.
    I remember the C-90 cassettes filled with dodgy games too, ha ha!
    And fiddling with the tape head levels to get them to load :(

Go download Uridium on the Wii Virtual Console, I think it downloads from a server in some foreign land quicker than it loaded back in the day!

And as for having it good, you're right, we've never had it as good as now, but it has to be said, there was a charm to our nieve ignorance as we blustered on about the wonderful graphics in IK+ or the atmosphere in The Hobbit on the speccy, as thorin sat down and sang about gold, again!

My fave age was that of the PS2, good days, new tech, new games everywhere and, again lots of cack, but just enough works of genius, like Ico, SOTC and GTAIII/VC to make late night sessions a must.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

yeah i remember when the original ps came out all excited, tought it was the best since sliced bread. a big jump from sonic on sega, alltough it was an amazing game, bunkin of work/school to play it for hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

No one has managed to top the ocean loader music imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Geff

I rememeber waiting 45 minutes for Terminator 2 to load on the C64.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Harrier attack ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Any of the Dizzy games on the CPC464... Renegade was great back in the day too.
    Back then, nothing came near the arcade though! Wonderboy, Shinobi, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

I remember loading games on my Spectrum with a tape recorder. If anybody moved/walked near the tape recorder the loading would crash! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

Yeah, I remember coming home from school, turning on the Amstrad CPC464, starting the loading process of a game, going off to have the dinner and by the time I'd finished, the game would be ready! :)
    Then I'd spend the next few hours arguing with my brothers, each claiming it was their turn, whoever was on had been on it for 2.5 seconds more than their allocated time, etc.
    Good times, good times. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

When ever I hear a floppy disc clicking away in a drive it brings back memories of playing games to the early hours of the morning on my friends commodore amiga in his attic. Games like Pang, Bubble Bobble, The New Zealand Story, Rainbow Islands, Midnight Resistance... etc. There was also a load of little games that I can't even remember the names of now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I had the misfortune of buying a 2nd Hand Spectrum +3 a number of years back, fondly remembering the rubber keyed speccy 48k I had as a lad, bug mistake, the machine was awful!
    I remember the lads in the computer store in easons scoffing at me when I asked for software for it!
    How I wanted to pull their lungs through their noses!

The best old school fun I remember is a choice between playing Starstrike II on my speccy, with filled polygon graphics!!! and playing Lemmings in the sunshine on my Gameboy back in 94, ah yes, good days!

Must dust off the Amiga 600 in the games room, my bro was going to fit a laptop HDD to it so I don't have to feck about with loads of disks, that and see about transferring speccy games as audio files to CD, wonder of that'd work?

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Uridium was just the best shoot-em up ever. Well, maybe after Llamatron.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

loved how easy it was to copy games onto a blank cassette for c64. games cost about 4-5 pound and still i wanted to copy them!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Remember ghosts and goblins on the Amstrad cpc464 lol
    You had to wait 30 min for it to install..then if you managed to pass the first stage it would load the second level which was waaaay harder than the arcade.Then die and have to load the entire game in again lol. We've never had it so good :D

isnt anyone playin ps2 online anymore whats with that, everyone cant be all ps3 x360 allready, im online playin 6mths now seem to be the only one representin the .ie, just tought id put it out there, its still great crack, ex online play, no glicthes, c,mon whats up with everyone, to be honest im just sick of gettin whupped by the yanks with the itec controllers, u cant get them here, puttin par 4s inches from the pin on there drive hole after hole on tiger woods, at least i can still give them a spankin on fifa SOCCER lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

L31mr0d wrote: »
    When ever I hear a floppy disc clicking away in a drive it brings back memories of playing games to the early hours of the morning on my friends commodore amiga in his attic. Games like Pang, Bubble Bobble, The New Zealand Story, Rainbow Islands, Midnight Resistance... etc. There was also a load of little games that I can't even remember the names of now.

God, New Zealand story. On the Amiga. With no saves. That brings me back.

MOH wrote: »
    God, New Zealand story. On the Amiga. With no saves. That brings me back.

C64 version! What a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

C64 version! What a game.

was that the one where you were a bird?

Yup.

I remember Mayhem in Monsterland as wel which appeared in the dying days of the console. That was a sweet game as well. And Creatures!

can anybody remember the old wooden effect atari with the 1 button 1 joystick controller, pac man and combat came free, i can remember my uncle buying for me in jonnie giles in quinnsworth for 135 punts,jeez thats like 700 euro in todays money,it was 1982 or somtin,i tought i was the bees knees.i use to play pac man for 12 hours straight.that was the only game i could get for it. you could only get the games in jonnie giles and they stopped sellin the games after xmas,imagine that happening now adays.lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

One of my best 90s (mid 90s) gaming memories was sitting up all night playing through the original Resident Evil on my cousins PS1, and they had no memory card.
    Death = right back to the start!

lol yeah do you remember the sega megadrive.jayzuz istill think it had the best tiger woods.had to hit the bar dead in the centre or you were in the trees or fifa were if u kept tappin A you would side step the whole oppo and score,ok fifa was crap lol but tiger was cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Remember Tip the Can anyone? Chasing? Bulldogs charge??? :rolleyes: Outside was cool one time...

Can't say I've heard of outside. That on the Amiga coa I didn't have one of those :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Remember ghosts and goblins on the Amstrad cpc464 lol
    You had to wait 30 min for it to install..then if you managed to pass the first stage it would load the second level which was waaaay harder than the arcade.Then die and have to load the entire game in again lol. We've never had it so good :D

Haha those were the days! R-Type was a crackin' game on the Amstrad there was a really crap Pac Man clone called Oh Mummy with really annoying music - Anyone remember the free game they gave away with Weetabix - it was a Space Invaders type thing called Weetabix Versus the Titchies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

One of my best 90s (mid 90s) gaming memories was sitting up all night playing through the original Resident Evil on my cousins PS1, and they had no memory card.
    Death = right back to the start!

Yeah, I loved that game. I nearly choked on a Wham Bar the first time one of the zombie dogs broke through a window! It's so cheesy now though, it should be outlawed.

Go and get Resident Evil: Deadly Silence for the DS. It's basically a remake of the first and worth it just to hear "Barry, where's Barry. I'm sorry but he's probably...." one more time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

was up in my attic the other only to stumble accross ( to my nostalgic joy )a pong machine.the god dam whith ball and lines going up and down the screen.CLASSIC!!!!

ahh man thats one for ebay,you would never know what you might get for it,theres a hell of a lot of japanese collectors out there,could get a new ps 3 out of it ,lol

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

No one has managed to top the ocean loader music imo.
    Ah but which version? Personally I've a soft spot for the tunes from Ghosts N' Goblins, Turrican 1 + 2 and Creatures 1 + 2.

If you're interested in C64 music in general, check out the RKO archive for MP3 remakes and the High Voltage SID Collection for the SID-based originals.

For example, here is a link to the Ocean loader music done in a swing style!

• Advertisement

dont mean to sound rude mate but eh, being INTO sounds from C64 games sounds a bit" big bang theory" to me.lol

Advertisement