Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Natural History Museum

Options
  • 11-04-2008 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭

I recall it was closed a while back. Is it open for visitation again? Anyone know its opening hours?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

still closed as far as i'm aware

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭twenty8

I am pretty sure that it is closed for the long term - something like 3 years.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

it will be another 3-4 years before its open again so you would have a bit of a long wait tbh - you should try the museum on kildare street instead, its great:)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Isn't the senate moving in whilst their place is being done up? Shame as it is a quality spot. David Norris will be hairy aping the silver back for at least 2years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

irishbird wrote: »
    it will be another 3-4 years before its open again so you would have a bit of a long wait tbh - you should try the museum on kildare street instead, its great:)
    What's this now?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

ApeXaviour wrote: »
    What's this now?

http://www.dublintourist.com/details/national_museum_of_ireland_archaeology_and_his.shtml

National Museum of Ireland Achaeologh and history

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

My dear ApeX, you are a man with excellent tastes, in that you like the Natural History Museum.

As you correctly recall, the Museum was shut some time ago following the collapse of a staircase in the building. You can read the Engineers' Report on that particular event here. From past experience, you may recall something of the structure of the building: it has an elegant and unfussy interior built around a cast-iron structure, with the upper galleries built onto this. The OPW plans to renovate that entire structure, in a process that will mean that all the exhibits in the Museum will have to be moved out. I'm not entirely sure where, because the Museum's stores in Beggar's Bush are already overflowing. I, of course, worry about the potential effects such work will have on the 'feel' of the Museum, but it's nothing that can be stopped, since it's a 'health and safety' matter, rather than any other kind.

After the structural work has been completed, it is said that the Seanad will hold its sessions in the Museum, as its wing of Leinster House is being refurbished. During this time, conservation work is to take place on the Museum's exhibits. Finally, when Leinster House is finished, the Seanad will move back there, allowing the reinstallation of the Museum's exhibits.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

humberklog wrote: »
    Isn't the senate moving in whilst their place is being done up? Shame as it is a quality spot. David Norris will be hairy aping the silver back for at least 2years.

They were supposed to be alright but not now no...Senators petitioned on the grounds they were the only house to be 'moved' while renovations will be taking place ... Their business will now be conducted in Leinster House in various conference rooms instead of Seanad Eireann

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Damn, 2-3 years. I was planning to goto the museum the day the staircase collapsed. Never made it and then read about the staircase collapse later on.

Probably just as well really o_O

Advertisement